Jump to content

Photo

At Home Reception... What to Do, What to Do...


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#11 hollisandsteph

hollisandsteph
  • Jr. Member
  • 419 posts

    Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:35 AM

    I am doing the same thing as everyone else on here but I am making mine a more family friendly event. Most of my family are not able to attend the actual wedding so we are starting earlier- 5:30. I am wanting to keep it alittle more informal. We did rent a hall and hired a DJ (thanks dad..lol) My brother, who is an amazing cook, is preparing all the food. My cousin is making the wedding cake. I am extremely lucky I have a talented family...lol!!
    I think we are going to eat first and enjoying music and dancing later. I still want to do a couple of traditional things like the first dance and the father/daughter dance. Maybe the toast too. I also thought about doing a sand ceremony since we both have children. I kinda figured since we hired the Dj they will help set the tone. I am so not stressing about it. I want it low key and fun.
    I do have a question about wearing the dress again though. My mom and friends want me to make an appearance in it. I have seen some really awsome picture with brides at the edge of the water. If I get my dress aittle wet will it come clean ok?

    #12 JABride

    JABride
    • Newbie
    • 145 posts

      Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:41 AM

      Great thread !! I was wondering the same thing. We are doing our AHR on August 23 in Montreal - Canada for our friends/family that could not make it. We rented a hall but don't know anything about the schedule, the food, the music, formal or not ... nothing ... I already saw good answer here ... keep them coming !!! I am in the same boat and haven't started thinking about what to do with my AHR.

      #13 Kat81

      Kat81
      • VIP Member
      • 7,615 posts

        Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by hollisandsteph
        If I get my dress aittle wet will it come clean ok?
        I am doing a TTD session. From what I have heard.... usually the dress is fine afterwards. So, I am sure that if you just get a little water on it on the bottom it will clean up just fine.

        #14 majnooni

        majnooni
        • Newbie
        • 90 posts

          Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by hollisandsteph
          Cornhole!! It must be an Ohio thing cause we are having that too...lol
          Ok, I give. What's cornhole?

          #15 jmhein

          jmhein
          • Member
          • 665 posts

            Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by hollisandsteph
            I do have a question about wearing the dress again though. My mom and friends want me to make an appearance in it. I have seen some really awsome picture with brides at the edge of the water. If I get my dress aittle wet will it come clean ok?
            The bottom of my dress did get sandy and wet when we were taking our photos. I took it to the drycleaners and they wanted $121 to clean it for me! My dress only cost $400 so I wasnt too keen on spending all that money. I ended up taking it home and washing it in my bathtub with some Oxi-Clean, and it is absolutely as good as new!! So I think however you clean your dress, you dont need to worry about it, it will come clean really nicely!
            ------------------------------------------------MARRIED at the Riu Ocho Rios - Feb 12, 2008 - Best day of our lives!Honeymooned at Sandals Whitehouse European Village - Feb 16-23


            My Riu Ocho Rios Wedding Review with Pics

            #16 hollisandsteph

            hollisandsteph
            • Jr. Member
            • 419 posts

              Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by majnooni
              Ok, I give. What's cornhole?
              Here is a link that shows the platform you use. It is alot like horsehoes with bean bags (we use rice in ours) and a hole instead of a pole. It is great. Very much a hillbilly thing I think..lol We take ours when we talegate or to parties. The more you drink the more fun it is!!!:-)

              Jmhein,
              Did you clean the whole dress or just the bottom where it was dirty? Then did you just hagn it up to dry? I am really not stressing about it and I am definatly not having it dry cleaned. I have already spent enough money too...:-)

              #17 ErinB

              ErinB

                VIP Member

              • VIP Member
              • 9,504 posts

                Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

                We are having an upscale cocktail party as our AHR. I would definitely have food available as soon as your guests arrive. As an event planner trust me when I say that even though this is casual to you, your guests will most likely treat this as an event, especially if they didn't travel! Think about it...they have set aside the night, possibly dressed up a little, hired a babysitter, and brought you a present.

                You should have a few "structured" events to help the evening flow. I would suggest cutting the cake around 8 and then having a formal introduction and a first dance to open the dance floor. Our video is going to be shown on a loop so people can watch whenever they want.

                I would also look into hiring a catering company to provide servers that will clean as the evening goes on. You don't want to get stuck doing these tasks after such a long night of entertaining! If you hire a bartender you won't have to worry with underage drinking and can pass along the liquor liability.

                If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

                #18 jmhein

                jmhein
                • Member
                • 665 posts

                  Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by hollisandsteph
                  Jmhein,
                  Did you clean the whole dress or just the bottom where it was dirty? Then did you just hagn it up to dry? I am really not stressing about it and I am definatly not having it dry cleaned. I have already spent enough money too...:-)
                  I did clean my whole dress because it had gotten some makeup on it at the top and such as well. The drycleaners said they were going to wet-wash it as the material would be fine so I figured it would be fine to do at home too!
                  ------------------------------------------------MARRIED at the Riu Ocho Rios - Feb 12, 2008 - Best day of our lives!Honeymooned at Sandals Whitehouse European Village - Feb 16-23


                  My Riu Ocho Rios Wedding Review with Pics

                  #19 jmhein

                  jmhein
                  • Member
                  • 665 posts

                    Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:26 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by JamaicaBride062108
                    We are having an upscale cocktail party as our AHR. I would definitely have food available as soon as your guests arrive. As an event planner trust me when I say that even though this is casual to you, your guests will most likely treat this as an event, especially if they didn't travel! Think about it...they have set aside the night, possibly dressed up a little, hired a babysitter, and brought you a present.

                    You should have a few "structured" events to help the evening flow. I would suggest cutting the cake around 8 and then having a formal introduction and a first dance to open the dance floor. Our video is going to be shown on a loop so people can watch whenever they want.

                    I would also look into hiring a catering company to provide servers that will clean as the evening goes on. You don't want to get stuck doing these tasks after such a long night of entertaining! If you hire a bartender you won't have to worry with underage drinking and can pass along the liquor liability.

                    If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!
                    Great advice, thanks! I believe the hall's catering company will clean up dishes, and they provide a bartender as well! This is helping me come up with a plan, so thanks very much everyone!
                    ------------------------------------------------MARRIED at the Riu Ocho Rios - Feb 12, 2008 - Best day of our lives!Honeymooned at Sandals Whitehouse European Village - Feb 16-23


                    My Riu Ocho Rios Wedding Review with Pics

                    #20 hollisandsteph

                    hollisandsteph
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 419 posts

                      Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:42 AM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by jmhein
                      I did clean my whole dress because it had gotten some makeup on it at the top and such as well. The drycleaners said they were going to wet-wash it as the material would be fine so I figured it would be fine to do at home too!
                      My dress has a couple of different layers to it and I have no idea what it is all made of. It is being fitted right now or I would look. What I might do is a test spot with Oxi. Thanks for letting me know about that. I would have never thought of it.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users