Possible family conflict with wedding date?

Okay, so originally I was planning a summer 09 wedding in my hometown, but soon decided to change my plans to have a destination wedding next May... and now my cousin is crying foul. He's been dating a nice girl for about 10 months, and he says they want to have a destination wedding in Jamaica a month before mine.

He told me he wants to save up to have a big lavish wedding (we have a big family) and he plans to fly family members out. Thing is they're not engaged yet, and he's currently between jobs.

Do I try to move my wedding around just in case my cousin's plans fall into place somehow? (There would be a lot of overlap with our guestlists.) I've been dating FH for 6 years, got engaged in January, and we are happy that just set our date for next May.

What do you think?

UPDATE: I just wanted to thank you ladies for your advice! I stuck with my plans and moved forward with my May 09 wedding.... And although I am sad for my cousin, I'm relieved that I didn't try to change my wedding plans....

Here's what happened: He finally started working again & she pushed him to get a ring with his first paycheck. (Never mind the bills that had been piling up...) Found out she was the one pushing for the April wedding too, although the family already knew I was engaged. They got engaged about 3 weeks ago, and ended up breaking up last weekend. (Long story, but it was messy.) Engagement is off, relationship is over.

I would've been so vexed if I had moved my date and changed my plans to accommodate them! Moral of the story: don't let anybody try to push you into rearranging your wedding plans, especially if their own plans aren't set!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz View Post
Ummm....NO! If he's not even engaged, has no job and no real plans, then don't change what you're doing for him!
bingo.

don't let him tell you what to do.. but here's what you do do lol Send out your STDs before him so that way they plan for yours not his hehe

Since when do guys get all fussy over this stuff. Weird.

Anyways- I agree with everyone. Why does he think he has a right to dictate? I'd send out the STDs ASAP. He hasn't even proposed yet. How can he have a date? Sounds like he's putting the cart in front of the horse.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Best Destination Wedding Sponsors

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
    • Hi everyone! I have been doing lots of research on various wedding venues all around Mexico, my fiance wants a destination wedding and I am happy to have a wedding wherever so long as the vibe is right and guests are happy!  I have been seriously looking at Cabo Azul and was trying to find potential costs for them, but only found a page about their wedding costs from 2010. Does anyone have any updated information on costs / reviews they would like to share of this venue? Or advice in general, anything helps. Thanks so much, happy wedding planning to all!
    • Hello everyone, I am dreaming of a wedding in Costa Rica and was wondering if I could get any help with venues and wedding planners. I am thinking Tamarindo because a close friend of mine lives there and I've been in town more than a couple of times, she's being helpful but is at a loss when it comes to this subject really so I was wondering if anyone here had recommendations. I am not closed to other town suggestions either, if I happen to find a good place and staff somewhere else. These are the places I have so far, has anyone had any experience with any of them?  Stay In Tamarindo Luxury Villas in Costa Rica Luxury Villas Pinilla Tropical Homes of Costa Rica The Point Luxury Villa Thank you so much for your help!
    • Have you ever considered having a wedding inside a bubble? With the current global situation, many couples are looking for unique and creative ways to celebrate their special day while keeping their guests safe. A wedding inside a bubble could provide a whimsical and intimate setting for your ceremony and reception. Imagine saying your vows surrounded by a beautiful bubble filled with twinkling lights and flowers, creating a magical atmosphere for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
    • Adult only resort or not? Let's discuss the pros and cons of choosing an adult-only resort for your honeymoon. While some couples may appreciate the peace and quiet that comes with an adults-only environment, others may prefer a more family-friendly atmosphere. What are your thoughts on this? Have you had any experiences at adult-only resorts that you'd like to share? Let's hear your opinions and recommendations!
    • When it comes to planning a wedding, one of the most exciting parts is choosing the perfect wedding favours for your guests. These small tokens of appreciation are a great way to thank your loved ones for being a part of your special day and to make them feel appreciated.
  • Topics