Failed Proposal

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 MikkiStreak

• VIP Member
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:19 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - It is the one moment every man wants to get right -- and which London floor-fitter Lefkos Hajji could hardly have got more wrong.

The luckless 28 year-old's dreams of giving his sweetheart, Leanne, 26, the ultimate proposal have literally vanished into thin air. Hajji, of Hackney, east London, had concealed a $12,000 engagement ring inside a helium balloon. The idea was that she would pop the balloon as he popped the question.

But as he left the shop, a gust of wind pulled the balloon from his hand and he watched the ring -- and quite possibly the affections of his girlfriend -- sailing away over the rooftops.

"I couldn't believe it," he told The Sun newspaper. "I just watched as it went further and further into the air. "I felt like such a plonker. It cost a fortune and I knew my girlfriend would kill me."

Hajji spent two hours in his car trying to chase and find the balloon, without success.

"I thought I would give Leanne a pin so I could literally pop the question," he said. "But I had to tell her the story -- she went absolutely mad. Now she is refusing to speak to me until I get her a new ring."

He is hoping the ring will still turn up. "It would be amazing if someone found it," he added.

#2 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

Wow! I have nothing to say.

#3 sn2bski

• 94 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

Duh! Who puts an engagement ring in a balloon? Poor guy.

#4 amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 3,754 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

Poor guy! That so sad!

#5 Aimless911

• 391 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

Wow....that literally BLOWS me away! hahahaha

#6 MikkiStreak

• VIP Member
            • 2,347 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

Yea, complete dumbass thing to do with a ring that expensive. Sweet idea, but come on- wrap that freaking thing around your wrist all the way up to the balloon and tie it in a knot, for crying out loud.

But the girls response sucks too----- no matter how disappointed I would be if I were in her shoes, I would not have responded like that.... what a bitch... she's got some screwed up priorities if she's refusing to speak to him until she gets a new ring.

#7 Myda77

• 821 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

That is crazy! I would have tied that balloon around my wrist in a double, no triple knot. It would be amazing if he ever saw that ring again.
                Maida & Tomas
                Circa 2004 - Our first picture together!

#8 rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 18,759 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

Threadjack, but Maria how is it possible you have no karma? Have you tried to steal points? If our theories about karma are right, you should have a bunch of it. Have you ever donated points? Originally I thought karma came from donating points.

Sorry, I have an obsession with getting to the bottom of the whole karma thing.

#9 -Kate-

• VIP Member
                  • 7,676 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:31 PM

seriously! What is wrong with that girl?!?!?! Demanding a new ring I do NOT like her. I mean, he was dumb, but he really was trying to be sweet. And she gets pissed. She and I would not be friends.

#10 JenniferSS

• Banned
                    • 1,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:38 PM

Awww...poor guy- with her response he too should fly away. It may end up that the $12,000 was a cheap way to get out of that relationship as divorce can be much more expensive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users