Jump to content

Photo

Question for fellow black brides Re: hair plans


  • Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#51 meltanirie

meltanirie
  • Jr. Member
  • 283 posts

    Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JABride
    Great thread !!!
    My hair is very thick and curly and do not know what to do with it. I stopped relaxing since it was thinning and breaking my hair after a few years and frankly, I did not like all the chemicals ... I either braid or hot comb my hair ... or put on a wig on bad days but this will not work for a wedding in Jamaica. I found out about "treebraids" (braids that look like a weave -- see picture). Click the image to open in full size.

    They take less than 2 hours to put in and to take out (since it's only conrows under it all), they cover all my hair, they were not affected by humidity when I went to Jamaica with them .... I have been doing them on and off for the past year and thought about having them for my wedding (putting half up, half down) but ALL MY GIRLS are against it since everyone is used to see me in "treebraids". But now I am back to square one ... Humidity will kill my hair if I hotcomb it - so that's not an option. A weave is an option but I tried one last month to practice and the hair kept tangling after just 1 hour -- I had to brush every hour to keep it smooth and every time I brushed, hair kept coming out... I bought what I thought was a good weave at $30/pack... ... anyone can suggest a good brand? I am not used to the weaving thing ... what's the normal price for a quality weave?

    What's fusion? how much would it cost? do any of you have pictures of that?
    i just PM'ed you about the tree braid style

    #52 BillysBride

    BillysBride
    • Sr. Member
    • 1,255 posts

      Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FutureMrsB
      Wow, Savannah that picture of Jada's hair is so pretty! Great choice!

      I'm going to try oiling my scalp next time I wash my hair. Thanks for the advice!

      And wow, a couple thousand in NY for fusion, I'm so glad I don't live there. I think the going rate for fusion is around 1500+ around here, but thank god my hairdresser is a good friend and isn't changing me half that. I think the most expensive part is going to be the hair. Do you have any suggestions of hair brands for that?
      You want to go at least mid price. Brands...there are SOOO many, and I don't think it matters. Most manufacturers carry cheap, mid range and expensive versions of all the hair textures, so just be sure to ask for something mid to expensive. And depending on what you're looking for, you can always request Indian Remy/Cuticle hair...thats always going to be virgin (unprocessed) human hair that is fairly expensive and of good quality if you're getting it from a reputable salon. The thing with that is that its collected (supposedly) from a single donor, so the cuticles match throughout. Thats important in that if its non matching, it tangles easily. Its like....mixing hair that goes against the grain. Does that make sense? A lot of non Remy hair is processed to be smooth and untangled...Remy is supposed to be naturally manageable.
      Savannah

      http://i17.photobuck....inecollage.jpgThe Fab Four (my quads) Meryn, Kellen, Nico & Layla
      http://global.thekno...rs/tt265ad.aspxhttp://www.mywedding...nnah/index.html20 STD's w. pre-lim RSVP sent 6/15/09: 7 "Yes" so far/10 guests total!

      #53 ~*petals*~

      ~*petals*~
      • Sr. Member
      • 1,572 posts

        Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

        Thank you for this thread! I've been thinking about this issue too. This is probably a stupid question, but if you're getting married early in the day, are you going to get your hair done the day before then touch it up the day of? I ask because when I go to the salon it's an all-day thing, and I'm worried it'll take forever to get my hair done on the wedding day...

        #54 IrieBride08

        IrieBride08
        • Member
        • 716 posts

          Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by BillysBride
          You want to go at least mid price. Brands...there are SOOO many, and I don't think it matters. Most manufacturers carry cheap, mid range and expensive versions of all the hair textures, so just be sure to ask for something mid to expensive. And depending on what you're looking for, you can always request Indian Remy/Cuticle hair...thats always going to be virgin (unprocessed) human hair that is fairly expensive and of good quality if you're getting it from a reputable salon. The thing with that is that its collected (supposedly) from a single donor, so the cuticles match throughout. Thats important in that if its non matching, it tangles easily. Its like....mixing hair that goes against the grain. Does that make sense? A lot of non Remy hair is processed to be smooth and untangled...Remy is supposed to be naturally manageable.
          I'd heard that Remy was the best to get, but it's soooo expensive. In one shop I was quoted $79.99 for 12 " solid color, $89.99 12" for mixed color, and $89.99 14" solid, $99.99 14" mixed!

          I think I'm going to shop around. I'm a novice when it comes to weaves, but I think it might be my best option. I'm torn as to whether to get wet and wavy or just a deep body wave. I not sure that I want tight curls on my wedding day (wetnwavy look).


          #55 Agape Gems

          Agape Gems
          • Sr. Member
          • 1,260 posts

            Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by ~*petals*~
            Thank you for this thread! I've been thinking about this issue too. This is probably a stupid question, but if you're getting married early in the day, are you going to get your hair done the day before then touch it up the day of? I ask because when I go to the salon it's an all-day thing, and I'm worried it'll take forever to get my hair done on the wedding day...
            I'm having a "practice run" on thursday, then on saturday my appointment is at 7:30am and the wedding is at 11am. I'm just hoping that it will be much faster since I will be the only one she is working on, compared to my beautician here who is always working on 5 heads at a time.
            See our professional weddings photos http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t21339

            #56 Agape Gems

            Agape Gems
            • Sr. Member
            • 1,260 posts

              Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

              More styles I would love:

              Click the image to open in full size.
              Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
              See our professional weddings photos http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t21339

              #57 KarmaB

              KarmaB
              • Member
              • 796 posts

                Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by BillysBride
                You want to go at least mid price. Brands...there are SOOO many, and I don't think it matters. Most manufacturers carry cheap, mid range and expensive versions of all the hair textures, so just be sure to ask for something mid to expensive. And depending on what you're looking for, you can always request Indian Remy/Cuticle hair...thats always going to be virgin (unprocessed) human hair that is fairly expensive and of good quality if you're getting it from a reputable salon. The thing with that is that its collected (supposedly) from a single donor, so the cuticles match throughout. Thats important in that if its non matching, it tangles easily. Its like....mixing hair that goes against the grain. Does that make sense? A lot of non Remy hair is processed to be smooth and untangled...Remy is supposed to be naturally manageable.
                Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I was thinking Indian Remy as well. I think I might start looking online.

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by IrieBride08
                I'd heard that Remy was the best to get, but it's soooo expensive. In one shop I was quoted $79.99 for 12 " solid color, $89.99 12" for mixed color, and $89.99 14" solid, $99.99 14" mixed!
                Yikes! That's not cheap considering you will probably need 2 packs for a full head.

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by twelve_piece
                More styles I would love:

                Click the image to open in full size.
                Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
                These, are super cute. I love the loose curls!

                #58 BarefootBride

                BarefootBride
                • Sr. Member
                • 1,266 posts

                  Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

                  I ordered a set of clip ins today... I cant believe I did it!
                  Here is the style I am going for...
                  Click the image to open in full size.
                  Click the image to open in full size.

                  #59 BillysBride

                  BillysBride
                  • Sr. Member
                  • 1,255 posts

                    Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by BarefootBride
                    I ordered a set of clip ins today... I cant believe I did it!
                    Here is the style I am going for...
                    Click the image to open in full size.
                    Click the image to open in full size.
                    Oooh, I LOVE that! Totally doable, and I'll tell you a lil' trick you can use to get those curls! Sounds crazy, and you DO have to be careful with this, but it SOOOO works and doesn't take a whole lot of effort. I'm assuming you ordered straight hair, right? All you need is those medium to large plastic setting rollers...the plain ones you buy at most of the beauty shops. Get some Lotta Body (setting lotion) or almost any other kind really. Wash the hair (use clear shampoo..plain jane .99 cent stuff is fine) you don't want to use anything cloudy with conditioners because extension hair does not do well with it as it weighs it down too much and its harder to curl. Anyway, drench the hair in setting lotion while its still wet from the washing. Roll 1 1/2 inch sections ..depending on the length, you may want to "spiral" roll it...starting at one end of the roller and never overlapping will create that effect.

                    now heres the part you're gonna freak about...but trust me, this works....

                    Turn your oven on warm..preheat it and make sure the burners at the bottom aren't glowing any more. Put the hair in (it can even go straight on the rack as long as its just warm and not too hot) and leave it in there, checking on it periodically every 10-15 minutes. When you take it out the set will be CRISP and all you have to do is finger comb it or get one of those REALLY large tooth combs and comb it through. That takes away the crispness, but the set remains...those curls will last pretty much through hell or high water. hahahaha. After you have the style in place on your big day (I suggest bringing the hair clips with the rollers still in them after drying along in a seperate bag or case) then spritz it lightly. Thats only after you've done your hair for the wedding. That adds an extra "shield" against the humidity, and make sure you use high humidity spritz..something that says its formulated to block the environment.

                    Only thing you want to be sure of is that your clips are completely metal, no plastic. I'm sure you can see why. And keep watch on them because depending on the hair type, it can dry quickly and you don't want to burn it....not a nice smell in your house.
                    Savannah

                    http://i17.photobuck....inecollage.jpgThe Fab Four (my quads) Meryn, Kellen, Nico & Layla
                    http://global.thekno...rs/tt265ad.aspxhttp://www.mywedding...nnah/index.html20 STD's w. pre-lim RSVP sent 6/15/09: 7 "Yes" so far/10 guests total!

                    #60 BarefootBride

                    BarefootBride
                    • Sr. Member
                    • 1,266 posts

                      Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by BillysBride
                      Oooh, I LOVE that! Totally doable, and I'll tell you a lil' trick you can use to get those curls! Sounds crazy, and you DO have to be careful with this, but it SOOOO works and doesn't take a whole lot of effort. I'm assuming you ordered straight hair, right? All you need is those medium to large plastic setting rollers...the plain ones you buy at most of the beauty shops. Get some Lotta Body (setting lotion) or almost any other kind really. Wash the hair (use clear shampoo..plain jane .99 cent stuff is fine) you don't want to use anything cloudy with conditioners because extension hair does not do well with it as it weighs it down too much and its harder to curl. Anyway, drench the hair in setting lotion while its still wet from the washing. Roll 1 1/2 inch sections ..depending on the length, you may want to "spiral" roll it...starting at one end of the roller and never overlapping will create that effect.

                      now heres the part you're gonna freak about...but trust me, this works....

                      Turn your oven on warm..preheat it and make sure the burners at the bottom aren't glowing any more. Put the hair in (it can even go straight on the rack as long as its just warm and not too hot) and leave it in there, checking on it periodically every 10-15 minutes. When you take it out the set will be CRISP and all you have to do is finger comb it or get one of those REALLY large tooth combs and comb it through. That takes away the crispness, but the set remains...those curls will last pretty much through hell or high water. hahahaha. After you have the style in place on your big day (I suggest bringing the hair clips with the rollers still in them after drying along in a seperate bag or case) then spritz it lightly. Thats only after you've done your hair for the wedding. That adds an extra "shield" against the humidity, make sure you use high humidity spritz..something that says its formulaand ted to block the environment.

                      Only thing you want to be sure of is that your clips are completely metal, no plastic. I'm sure you can see why. And keep watch on them because depending on the hair type, it can dry quickly and you don't want to burn it....not a nice smell in your house.
                      Oh great! I got the rollers (actually they are in my head as I type), I got the Lotta Body, and ummmm... oven... but its human hair... you think it will start to smell? lol I will do a dry run when I get them before I leave. So should I roll my actual hair on my head too before I add the hair? And I have a question about this style... Is that a banana clip holding the hair like that? If you noticed, it pulled back but not in a full ponytail.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users