Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
quackquack

anyone planned or planning an engagement party??

Recommended Posts

I am currently planning my own engagement party and need some help. We are doing it at our home cocktail party style. I will probably have it catered with bar and h'orderves. I need some ideas for favors, type of food and games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I planned an engagment party for my daughter and her fiance.

 

The theme was Mexican Fiesta, so we served mojitos and corona beer as guests arrived. We had salsa, and other dips with chips, and nuts set up in various locations. We played salsa music.

 

We bbq'd beef, chicken, chorizo sausage and shrimp, all on skewers, we had two large bowls of salad, Mexican rice, and vegetable trays.

 

We had a cake made that had a Mexican theme, and we had fresh fruit, ice cream, and cheese and crackers.

 

I put together a quiz type of game which was great and got the many different groups of people interacting. It was basically a list of questions that I asked the groom ahead of time, then asked the bride the day of the party. Guests had to guess if she's know the answers or not. The rest of the questions were related to weddings and customs around the world. I can figure out a way to post it as an attachment if anyone is interested.

 

You can see some pictures here Engagement Pictures from Cheryl pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

 

It was a lot of work, but I'm glad I did it. Chris (the groom) and my other daughter's boyfriend, are both trained chefs, so that helped alot. I would be glad to answer any other questions you might have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ummmm helen can you be my mom? haha, you are so awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauraw View Post
ummmm helen can you be my mom? haha, you are so awesome!
That is such a nice compliment to get! Made me feel special. Thank you.

I really wanted to do an engagement party for lots of reasons, but the main one was that I knew that Katie and Chris wanted to plan their own wedding and I am such an organizer and can be very controlling once I get into something and knew we could end up in a conflict. So I asked them to let me do the engagement party my way and I'd do my very best to let them do the wedding their way.

It was a negotiation process and I'd say we're still working on it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen_S81 View Post
I planned an engagment party for my daughter and her fiance.

The theme was Mexican Fiesta, so we served mojitos and corona beer as guests arrived. We had salsa, and other dips with chips, and nuts set up in various locations. We played salsa music.

We bbq'd beef, chicken, chorizo sausage and shrimp, all on skewers, we had two large bowls of salad, Mexican rice, and vegetable trays.

We had a cake made that had a Mexican theme, and we had fresh fruit, ice cream, and cheese and crackers.

I put together a quiz type of game which was great and got the many different groups of people interacting. It was basically a list of questions that I asked the groom ahead of time, then asked the bride the day of the party. Guests had to guess if she's know the answers or not. The rest of the questions were related to weddings and customs around the world. I can figure out a way to post it as an attachment if anyone is interested.

You can see some pictures here Engagement Pictures from Cheryl pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

It was a lot of work, but I'm glad I did it. Chris (the groom) and my other daughter's boyfriend, are both trained chefs, so that helped alot. I would be glad to answer any other questions you might have.
Thanks Helen
I love the idea of Mexican fiesta! It will go great with having a wedding in Mexico. Why didn't I think of thathuh.gif I am going to talk it over with my FI to see what he thinks. I wish you were my Mom too! Really haven't had much help with planning. I also love the game, I will definitely use it for my party

I am so excited. can't wait to hear mor ideas cheer2.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our friends threw us our enagement party at their apartment. They kept it quite simple, despite the fact that there were over 30 people there. There were no favours or gifts (this was my request because I always find it awkward to open gifts in front of other people). Our friends have an old 18th century apartment so its already pretty romantic, they decorated by putting tall candles all around the apartment and dimming the lights. They served wine, champagne and appetizers. It was really fun, and everyone talked about how great it was. I was nice to just enjoy a quiet evening with all our friends without any other distractions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

helen if you PM me your email address, i will email you and you can send me the attachment for the quiz game and i will post it for you! sounds like fun, i want to pass it along to my friends throwing my shower!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few books at Barnes and Noble (or any other book seller) called "How Well DO You Know Your Groom/Bride". They are fun little trivia questions that each of you fill out to start discussions. Like "Whose relationship does your bride most admire?" or Has your groom ever had a crush on a teacher?" My mom got those for our stockings at Christmas. That might be a fun thing to do at the party!

 

We had a really small family party and I gave out my travel brochures to introduce everyone to our destination and gave luggage tags as favors. The brochures were free from the travel agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicaBride062108 View Post
There are a few books at Barnes and Noble (or any other book seller) called "How Well DO You Know Your Groom/Bride". They are fun little trivia questions that each of you fill out to start discussions. Like "Whose relationship does your bride most admire?" or Has your groom ever had a crush on a teacher?" My mom got those for our stockings at Christmas. That might be a fun thing to do at the party!
I saw this book, it looked like fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My FMIL threw us an engagement party, and despite the fact that she made it a luau themed-party and we are getting married in Jamaica, it was really nice.

 

She had people make toasts, since most of her family can't come to the wedding. And we played a game where they blind folded me and had 5 or 6 guys roll up there pants leg and I had to guess which leg was FI's leg. Also did a questions game where she asked me and FI a list of questions ahead of time about our self then at the party we had to answer the question about the other person. I got all the ?s correct about FI, he got 9/10 wrong about me.... hmmmm....go figure.

 

She also had a photog friend of hers come and take pics which everyone had a good time posing for. She gave out favors, but i can't remember what they were, if it comes to me i'll repost.

 

I think as long as the food and drinks are good people will have a good time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Hi all! I know this is an old thread... but just in case there are other destination wedding brides out there with the same question, I thought I would answer! My guy and I live in Texas and just got our marriage license (yay!). We are getting married in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. The Dallas County clerk informed us that we can get our marriage license in Texas, bring it and a Texas-registered officiant to Mexico, have the ceremony in Mexico, then bring the marriage license back to Texas to file and it will be LEGAL in the US.  In  other words, we can legally get married in Mexico using our Texas marriage license and officiant (who is a family friend), then file the paperwork when we get home. Where it says 'county in which ceremony was performed' on the license, we just put in Playa del Carmen, Mexico and bam! Married :) I do not know if this is true for other states, but it is CONFIRMED for Texas! I suggest asking the clerk when you register for your marriage license. I am overjoyed that we can have a US-legal marriage in Mexico so our wedding date on our license will be the actual day! NO blood tests, or getting married before or after the trip required!  
    • Every Bride spends a lot of time researching and worrying about her perfect wedding dress. While many Indian brides choose the traditional red colour for their bridal gown, a few of them find some different colours to wear on their special day. Here is a description of how to choose an Indian wedding dress that suits your skin tone. 1) Fair complexion: You can choose any shade of blue or bright shades of pink and red. In the shades of blue- select scuba blue or royal blue. Among other colours this season, you can pick up your dress in tangerine.   2) Wheatish complexion Just select those colours which bring out the warmth in your complexion. Some of the best options for you are tangy orange, saffron yellow, vibrant shades of red, mint green and hot pink.   3) Dusky complexion: If you have an olive skin tone, then you can pull off any rich and dark colour quite well. So, the colours like classic blue, marsala, burnt orange and brick red are just perfect for you. Also the metallic silver, gold and bronze will even flatter your face pretty well
    • I will be using the hPage Website Builder to create a free website for our wedding. I am planning to post wedding updates, wedding photos, wedding reminders, and wedding articles regarding our upcoming marriage there. For RSVP, I am using Facebook events since almost all we invited have facebook and it would be easier to get their "yes" or "no" confirmation there. In case anyone is interested as well here's their site: hPage Website Builder - https://www.hpage.com
    • Minimalist wedding bands look so classy and timeless regardless of the venue.
    • It's hard to estimate. Some receptions don't need much decorating because it's already beautiful. Some receptions need lots of decorating. Some receptions also come with extra decorating equipment already.
  • Topics

×