Photo

Thinking about going off the pill soon...anything I should know?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
  • Moderators
  • 25,218 posts
  • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

Hi, just to add, I stopped taking the pill 2 years ago, and I still don't have a regular period. Sometimes it shows up every 4 weeks, sometimes every 2 months! Since I am not TTC at all (Doug had a vasectomy many moons ago after his daughter was born) we're not worried about it, but I don't think there is any truth to the rumor about no period/no baby. I think all it means is you could still release an egg but don't have a period (which is just the sloughing off of the "padding" for a fertilized egg anyways, right?) So basically you could have no period but become pregnant and have no need for a period, does that make sense?? Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken!
Also thought I should fill in, I was on it for 12 yrs solid.

#42 perezv0

perezv0
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

Hello!

Going off birth control effects everyone differently. Some get really bad breakouts for a month or become extremely moody. Depending on how long you have been on the pill, it might take you longer to start ovulating/ get a period....but then again some women ovulate/get a period right away. It also depends on how regular your cycles were to begin with.
    My advice for TTC is to start taking prenatal vitamins right away (they contain a significant amount of folic acid so you do not need to have additional folic supplements) and of course no more drinking/smoking :). Also just relax and have fun trying to make a baby. A lot of people have problems concieving just due to the stress of wanting to get pregnant so bad.
    (haha sorry i could go on forever. I just finished my labor and delivery/postpartum rotation in nursing school)

Good luck and keep us updated

#43 vale

vale
    • 437 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

When we decided to have our third (she's now seven), we decided in Feb, so I came off the pill then and then by April I was pregnant (althought didn't realise until May/june time) so it can happen really quick. I had also been on the pill for 10 years by that time.

#44 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 24,768 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

yup - I was on the pill for 13+ years solid, and went off after the honeymoon (late June) and got pregnant in Oct., which was the first time we tried. i also had regular periods from June to Oct. and actually, i was never regular at all before the pill.

#45 chicago88

chicago88
        • 699 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by vale
          When we decided to have our third (she's now seven), we decided in Feb, so I came off the pill then and then by April I was pregnant (althought didn't realise until May/june time) so it can happen really quick. I had also been on the pill for 10 years by that time.
          Wow...That's quick. When I do go off of it I better be ready!! Thanks for all the info ladies!!

Therese & Jay
          Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica2.15.08
          http://tickers.Ticke....1f03/event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users