Photo

Thinking about going off the pill soon...anything I should know?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 chicago88

chicago88
  • 699 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mauraw
    when i quit taking the pill, i was actually a lot less bitchy in general. i lost a bunch of weight too! Oh wow!!

the first couple periods were rough because my body was adjusting to its natural cycle, but then after that it was mostly like clockwork unless i got stressed. i got a copper IUD last july, which is non-hormonal, and my body works just the same now as it did when i was on no BC, like clockwork unless im super stressed and then my period is late.
    I'm kind of nervous about my periods too cuz they used to be really bad before I want on the pill. We'll see though...

Therese & Jay
    Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica2.15.08
    http://tickers.Ticke....1f03/event.png

#22 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by chicago88
      I'm kind of nervous about my periods too cuz they used to be really bad before I want on the pill. We'll see though...
      mine were too - and i was so irregular. i'd have 2 in one month, then none for a few months. and sometimes they were awful - bad cramps, and everything. but for the few months that i was off the pill (before getting knocked up!) they weren't bad at all - i was pleasantly surprised. i don't know if they would have got worse though.

#23 chicago88

chicago88
      • 699 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by AnnR
        prenatal vitamins are really just a multi-vitamin with some folic acid, at least as i understand them. i think i was taking them before the wedding - or at least soon afterwards! it can't hurt - so if you're not taking one already (a multi-vitamin) go for it!
        Yeah, I did read somewhere to start taking folic acid at least a month before going off the pill. So maybe I'll start with this soon & take a mulit-vitamin. Or should I just take a mulit-vitamin? I'm not sure how much folic acid you need?

Therese & Jay

#24 chicago88

chicago88
        • 699 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by AnnR
          mine were too - and i was so irregular. i'd have 2 in one month, then none for a few months. I was always regular just heavy and awful cramps! and sometimes they were awful - bad cramps, and everything. but for the few months that i was off the pill (before getting knocked up!) Lol... Good, there's hope for me then!!!!! they weren't bad at all - i was pleasantly surprised. i don't know if they would have got worse though.
          Thanks for all the info ladies! Keep it coming if you think of anything else!

Therese & Jay

#25 amym567

amym567
          • 403 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

I was on it for about 15 years. Stopped it in August, and read that the reason some doctors recommend waiting about 3 months to TTC, is so they can better predict a due date- no medical reasons. So, went off after my AHR in August, and conceived in September. No side effects that I noticed going off of it.

It seems like it's a myth that if you've been on it for a long time, it takes longer to conceive. It's in and out of your body, so once you quit, it's gone. Obviously we know that some people have a hard time conceiving, so if they were on the Pill, people tend to think that's why they can't. (For example, my aunt, who is a nurse (nothing ob/gyn related), said she was surprised I conceived so quickly after being on the pill so long. Maybe that's how it used to be years ago, but with the differences in the Pill today, that doesn't seem to be the case.)

Good luck!
            Amy

#26 DreaW

DreaW
            • Banned
            • 2,462 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

so where do you get pre-natal vitamins? My start taking them now if it doesn't hurt....not TTCing yet, won't be off the pill till I'm 29 1/2

#27 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 24,768 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

the ones i get are just the walgreens ones.

#28 Alyssa

Alyssa
                • 11,793 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

my periods got heavier and longer and i noticed the cramps were more intense otherwise i don't really recall anything major. i have read a couple places that you should wait at least 3 months before TTC after getting off of the pill but i would ask the DR.

#29 LisaG

LisaG
                  • VIP Member
                  • 7,839 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

I get the Nature's Way Prenata Multi (i think) with the folic acid from Target. I love them.

#30 KarmaB

KarmaB
                    • 796 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

Lisa, I just saw your ticker! Congratulations!
                      Yay, another November 08 mommy on the board!!

Sorry for the hijack...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users