Jump to content

Photo

Jamaican themed crossword


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 luv2love

luv2love
  • Jr. Member
  • 260 posts

    Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:21 AM

    I wasn't sure if I should put this in the DIY section or the Jamaica section so if someone wants to move the thread please feel free!

    I've heard of people making crosswords for their Oot bags and I think it's a great idea so I downloaded the Eclipse software and am ready to create! I'm having a difficult time though coming up with words and clues so I thought us Jamaican brides could work together and create some words/clues for a crossword that we can all use (Jamaican themed). I'm really no good at this (hence I am coming to all of you for help!!) but here are the clues/words I've come up with so far - tell me if they are no good because I never play crosswords so I don't even know if I've done it right!!!

    KINGSTON - Jamaica's capital
    REDSTRIPE - Beer
    PATOIS - Jamaican language
    MARLEY— A famous reggae singer
    IRIE— "Cool" in Jamaica
    JAH— Another word for God
    SAND— The type of ceremony Kelly and Jonas are having
    JERK— Jamaican spice

    #2 KimmyKatBride

    KimmyKatBride
    • Newbie
    • 36 posts

      Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

      Those are great! (I thought Irie meant..."alright" as they say..."everything will be Irie" :)

      ok...some other ones could be....

      DUNNS - Famous Falls in Ocho Rios
      RUM - Hangover
      COFFEE - 1st thing (their coffee IS amazing I tell ya!)
      HUT - Shade

      ...Just a few, I'll keep thinking and let you know if I come up with a few more for ya! Good Luck! What a great idea!
      At the RIU OCHO RIOS January 27th, 2007 where we got engaged!

      #3 twinkletoes

      twinkletoes
      • Sr. Member
      • 2,302 posts

        Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

        Here's a couple I thought of off the top of my head:

        MOBAY - nickname for Montego Bay, the tourist capital of Jamaica
        ACKEE - the national fruit of Jamaica
        OCHO RIOS - the cruise capital of Jamaica
        MARGARITAVILLE - a hip place to hang out
        REGGAE - popular music in Jamaica

        ONE LOVE - popular phrase in Jamaica

        Hope this helps!
        2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

        #4 1Love

        1Love
        • Newbie
        • 149 posts

          Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:31 AM

          I've created one of these too, but based on all things Grenadian (this is where I'm from and will be getting married). I'm not a crossword buff but if you know the Island well, once you get going, there'll be no stopping you.

          My xword is now quite large and I originally hoped that there would be a funtionallity to enable me to download it to my wedding website but of course I was being a bit too adventurous - it was a no-go to say the least.

          Anyhooo, I'm sure they will go down well in OOT bags.

          #5 luv2love

          luv2love
          • Jr. Member
          • 260 posts

            Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by KimmyKatBride
            Those are great! (I thought Irie meant..."alright" as they say..."everything will be Irie" :)

            ok...some other ones could be....

            DUNNS - Famous Falls in Ocho Rios
            RUM - Hangover
            COFFEE - 1st thing (their coffee IS amazing I tell ya!)
            HUT - Shade

            ...Just a few, I'll keep thinking and let you know if I come up with a few more for ya! Good Luck! What a great idea!
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by twinkletoes
            Here's a couple I thought of off the top of my head:

            MOBAY - nickname for Montego Bay, the tourist capital of Jamaica
            ACKEE - the national fruit of Jamaica
            OCHO RIOS - the cruise capital of Jamaica
            MARGARITAVILLE - a hip place to hang out
            REGGAE - popular music in Jamaica

            Hope this helps!
            These are all so good! :-) Thanks!

            #6 Bride010101

            Bride010101
            • Sr. Member
            • 1,547 posts

              Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

              These are great! Thanks :)

              #7 PrecisePlans

              PrecisePlans
              • Member
              • 802 posts

                Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:24 PM

                this is so great!!! I've already done my crossword and printed them up already....but i'm soooo tempted to start over. I didn't even think to put a Jamaican theme spin on it. Thanks for sharing!!!

                #8 luv2love

                luv2love
                • Jr. Member
                • 260 posts

                  Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

                  For those of you that have kids coming with you to Jamaica, here is a link where you can get a fun wordsearch and activity sheet: Jamaica Children's Activity Sheet (Jamaica)

                  #9 PrecisePlans

                  PrecisePlans
                  • Member
                  • 802 posts

                    Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by luv2love
                    For those of you that have kids coming with you to Jamaica, here is a link where you can get a fun wordsearch and activity sheet: Jamaica Children's Activity Sheet (Jamaica)

                    Thanks for this luv!! These are cute.....I will include these with the puzzle for the people with kids!!

                    #10 chicago88

                    chicago88
                    • Member
                    • 699 posts

                      Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

                      Those are really good!!

                      Another one...

                      Popular Jamaican phrase - "No problem mon" (They really say this all the time)

                      That's all I can think of...



                      Therese & Jay
                      Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica2.15.08
                      http://tickers.Ticke....1f03/event.png




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users