Traveling with Wedding Dress

I'm with Tammy.. there is no way I am checking my dress..They will have to rip it out of my hands!

I am thinking about flying first or business just for that reason.. My concern is that we have to change planes in Athens to a smaller one to Santorini. I just hope they dont give us a hard time there!worried2.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christine,

I planned to do that, ship everything in advance, but decided I didn't want to spend the money, so I just packed and extra suitcase (for OOT stuff) and checked it. I threw my dress in the empty suitcase after the wedding and had a friend take it back with them. I was going on my honeymoon right after and didn't want to deal with it.

However, if you do decide to ship in advance, use DHL. I called a DHL rep to get details. She said Mexico is weird when it comes to bringing certain things into the country (like different types of fabric). She said to give yourself a few extra day for it to clear customs and be VERY specific on your commerical invoice. If you are going to do this, call DHL first to get specific instructons

Thanks for advice Rebecca, I am not shipping out of the country but I have heard good things about DHL. I might have to ship as I am going to Napa about three weeks before the wedding to take care of last minute details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be Mrs. Hull View Post
Thanks for advice Rebecca, I am not shipping out of the country but I have heard good things about DHL. I might have to ship as I am going to Napa about three weeks before the wedding to take care of last minute details.
Oh sorry.. doh.gif I didn't even look at your destination! I would DEFINITELY ship everything in advance then!

Ok I have to comment about TACA b/c my grandmother has flown a million times on this airline. They are known for losing luggage. So I would absolutely carry your dress if I were you. And I don't mean to cost you anxiety but a lot of people have problems with them with regards to their luggage. I don't want to stress you out but I thought I would warn you. Oddly enough an acquaintance of mine owns TACA. Well her family does. They are very wealthy needless to say but the ongoing joke is that their company loses people's stuff. But hopefully you'll be lucky.

-Glenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrvsbride View Post
Ok I have to comment about TACA b/c my grandmother has flown a million times on this airline. They are known for losing luggage. So I would absolutely carry your dress if I were you. And I don't mean to cost you anxiety but a lot of people have problems with them with regards to their luggage. I don't want to stress you out but I thought I would warn you. Oddly enough an acquaintance of mine owns TACA. Well her family does. They are very wealthy needless to say but the ongoing joke is that their company loses people's stuff. But hopefully you'll be lucky.

-Glenda
At least they know it!

hee hee hee... I am so not flying TACA for my wedding! I would be pissed if any of my various items didn't show!

I think another good idea to do is, dont put every wedding supply in the same suitcase. So, if one suitcase gets lost, maybe you will be missing your welcome bags but you will still have your place cards, attendent gifts, etc. You wont be as likely to freak out if you only lost a few things. : )

I took a rollie bag into my dress maker who packed it up for me. I took it out and hung it up and it was fine. No pressing needed.

NOTE!!!! Get a white king sized, flat sheet for them to wrap it up in so it stays clean and (if you have beads, etc.) it doesn't catch on itself.

It was really easy having the rollie bag - I couldn't have dragged it around the airport on the hanger and folding it over my arm would have caused a ton of problems (the beads would have scratched on the bottom half of my dress). The airline volunteered to hang up my husbands suit (he was carrying it).

Thanks for the tip about TACA. That was going to be my first choice for flying to Costa Rica. Now I need to look for another airline. I chose them because they fly direct and I didn't want any connecting flights when flying with my dress. Man! I am a little bummed.