Photo

Why did you choose to have a Destination Wedding rather than a traditional one?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 kcantrel

kcantrel
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

I am doing a site visit in a month and am pretty sure I want to have a destination wedding, but I have also read about some frustrations that can go along with it. I personally (think) I want to have a wedding away because:
    I am not traditional, I like the idea of getting away before we get married to make it feel more special, all my friends are really invested in going on a group vacation together, I like the idea of fewer people, even though Colorado is gorgeous I think the beach is more different, should be less expensive and we are paying for the wedding ourselves.

What were your original reasons to do a destination wedding and did all your expectations come true?

#2 monicabrandon2008

monicabrandon2008
    • 794 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

Reasons we chose a DW over traditional:

- We love the outdoors and the sun- we are like iguanas! = )
      - we have been wanting to plan a group vacation.
      - We wanted a small, intimate wedding.
      HIGH FIVE, WE'RE MARRIED!!!
      http://i51.photobuck...vtburks/1-4.jpg

#3 Kat81

Kat81
      • VIP Member
      • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

I haven't had mine yet but I just couldn't think of a more beautiful place to have a wedding than on a beach. I have wanted this since I was little. The ocean is so amazing and the idea of just the people closest to me joining together for an amazing trip together sold it.

#4 BayBug

BayBug
        • 852 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

Because I love the Beach so much! I also wanted a really small wedding and this was my chance without only inviting a select few.
          Angie

#5 boscobel

boscobel
          • VIP Member
          • 24,213 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

I chose it mostly b/c I hate to be the center of attention and I thought this was a good way to not have so many people there. Then we went ahead and planned a 300+ AHR. Smart, huh.

I'd have to say though, that even though there are many problems, I think you have that anytime you are planning something you care deeply about. There is a thread out there something like "what I would and wouldn't do again" started by Kashmira (gkashmira). It talks about brides good and bad experiences. But I think it was acorss the board, that they would still chose a DW. So it is totally your choice no how much you can let the problems bother you, knowing that there will be problems no matter where you get married. Planning is hard!

#6 h&a

h&a
            • 321 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

All the reasons the other girls have mentioned... I love the beach and the outdoors, FI and I love to travel (as well as our families who are spread out geographically)... plus I wanted a more intimate wedding and didn't want a traditional wedding where I would have to invite people out of obligation. A destination wedding on the beach is perfect for us, and I couldn't think of anything more magical! Even though I haven't had my big day yet I know I'm going to love it!

#7 kcantrel

kcantrel
              • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

Oooh, I hate being the center of attention too - I forgot that one!!!! I figure they will be more distracted by the setting hopefully!

#8 DreaW

DreaW
                • Banned
                • 2,462 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

I swear there's a thread exactly like this one but I can't find it

#9 boscobel

boscobel
                  • VIP Member
                  • 24,213 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

Ummm, no. Hahahahaa, all eyes on the bride. I am kinda dreading it actually, but figure it's only one day. Well, 2 since the AHR...

#10 h&a

h&a
                    • 321 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by carly
                      Ummm, no. Hahahahaa, all eyes on the bride. I am kinda dreading it actually, but figure it's only one day. Well, 2 since the AHR...
                      I'm the same, but I figure it's nothing a few pina coladas beforehand can't cure! lol...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users