Photo

Anyone "Jumping the Broom"??

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 TLC4Rock

TLC4Rock
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

I just wanted to add that the tradition of jumping the broom is significant part of most African Americans because during salvery couples were not allowed to marry. Marriages among slaves were not recognized or recorded. However as mentioned above it dates back to Africa.

If you choose use it in your ceremony you could embrace the purpose which is the broom is a symbol of cleanliness - getting rid of the old embracing the new.

As I always end...please post pictures if you use! :-)

#82 TLC4Rock

TLC4Rock
    • 473 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by CHAKLIT
      I say go for it...the ceremony is about the two of you coming together as one! Jump the Broom!!!
      I so agree and ditto the cheer!!! It's about joining as a union!!!!

#83 MysTea

MysTea
      • 559 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

I have always loved the jump the broom idea. My mom brought the broom the day after I was engaged..smh. Love it!
        **Dreams Palm Beach HERE WE COME!!! 11.01.2010**

#84 wemkulaf

wemkulaf
        • 190 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

I am still going back and forth on the jumping of the broom idea. We are doing instead of sand ceremony, God's Knot, Cord of Three Stands. Not sure if any of you have heard of it, bit it is really nice. Here is the website for those who are interested.

God's Knot - Cord of Three Strands

#85 MSBRANDI

MSBRANDI
          • 124 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

I once interviewed this lady that made beautiful brooms and she was telling me how most of the couple's that get one put them over their bed. I just thought that was neat. I am still toying around with the idea of it, not sure if i want to transport all of that. but, i was thinking of doing it at the AHR reception. like right after they announce us and we walk in What do you all think?

#86 LChavez

LChavez
            • 159 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

I've seen this done before but I never knew what it meant. I personally am not doing it but it looks like fun.

#87 MissSimone

MissSimone
              • 255 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

I definitely want to jump the broom. I found a lady who does scented brooms. She does really wonderful work. Her brooms can be customized and you can add momentos and things from your relationship. She uses actual dried flowers in the broom and you get it in a burlap sack for authenticity. Here's a photo of a broom she did.

#88 MissSimone

MissSimone
                • 255 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Ooops Im trying to attach the photo but its not working... :/

#89 bediva33

bediva33
                  • 118 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:20 AM

It's not a tradition in my family but I always wanted to do it. I think we're gonna do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users