Anyone "Jumping the Broom"??

I had my broom custom made from a lady out of state. I can try to dig up the info; had it done last year on a whim and have had it wrapped in my closet since then.

Mom and I will decorate it ourselves from Hobby Lobby and Michael's. I'm likely going to go with ivory ribbon with gold edging, maybe some shells hot glued/scattered through the bristles. The ribbon will follow the wrap pattern around the handle. I think with this, less could be more so I'm not gonna try to get too complicated with it. I'll probably stand it up in the bag with my second gown/TTD dress to take on the flight. It's kinda heavy.

Click the image to open in full size.

I know there are some ebay stores/sellers that have them pre-made, as well as a few web sites. Google or yahoo search would probably find some for ya.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

I've been snooping on a lot of websites and seeing pictures of couples jumping over a broom after their beach ceremony in Jamaica. Does anyone know the significance of this?

To me, it just seems like an awesome, cute idea. But there has to be some deeper reason that couples do this, other than the fact that it seems cool. :)

I'm also guessing that there's some significance of mixing two different coloured sands together afterwards too?

I'm such a newbie at this wedding symbolism stuff!

Jumping the broom is an African tradition symbolizing the bride and groom "sweeping" away their single life and "leaping" into a new life. The Wedding Broom Jumping Ceremony: History, Ideas and Modern Meanings

The sand cermony takes the place of the unity candle...two becoming one. The Unity Sand Ceremony

You can check the web for better explanations. Hope this helps wink.gif

I am so excited about the sand! What i've been thinking of doing is getting the color sand of our symbolism ( im thinking either purple or blue ) and mixing it with the beautiful sand we get married on. so like the day before Ill get some JA sand and sift it somehow.. haha but i think its a great idea.

Dont worry your not the only one whos new! but im sure within our 8.5-9.5 months of preparing we will be pros like the rest of the ladies here!!!

Cheers!

Click the image to open in full size.

I read on this site that another bride is doing a shell ceremony and I stole her idea.I don't remember whose idea it was, but I am grateful.

Our programs read, "Each of our guests have been given a shell to hold, bless and protect Tammy and Frank. In your mind and in your heart, pray that their marriage be blessed. Let us cast our shells into the sea and as the ripples touch and and intertwine with one another, may ourlove also touch and intertwine to spead love and good wishes to all around us." May God bless us all! After the minister reads this he is to tell us all to cast our shells into the sea. The photographer has been asked to please get a great shot of this. My fingers are crossed.....

This was a llittle different than the traditional sand ceremony or the unity candle. Not to mention that I found shells prepackaged at the dollar tree store. (Gotta love them) I just bubble wrapped them and they are all packed in my suitcase!!

• 3 months later...