Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
steph_n_taz

ROYAL PLAYA DEL CARMEN BRIDES: were kids allowed for the day? ...and other questions

Recommended Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypigpig View Post
I am looking at this resort. I went to the Gran in 2004 with my mom, and we were very pleased with the hotel and experience. So far...There is a few huh.gif on the Royal:
CONS
1) they seems to charge u here and there...left and right
2) Hotel can be full very fast, and then u have to pay extra for the day pass
3) does the luxury (the one at $3800, includes the judge?) and can we remove the photographer/video from it?
4) Extra External Vendor fee to be added on top?
5) very bad communication with WC (it is not only at Royal...same thing with brides dealing with Barcelo...it is like talking to a wall)
PROS
1) very nice location, next to PDC, so no need to take $10-$30 cab to get to a town, super convenient for Bachelor party or girls' night out! or get extra supplies.
2) people with kids and limited budget can stay at the Gran, so no need to be stuck in a kids "friendly" hotel or force people to pay extra $200-$500 per week to stay at the Royal.
3) Starbucks in PDC for Starbucks addicts
1) as long as you keep everything in writing you wont have extra fees here in there, it all depends on when you book. At the time you put your deposit down then you are locked in to those rates.
2) The hotel seems to be selling out at least 3 months in advance. The only thing to do is get your guests booking early and let them know this resort sells out fast. I highly recommend working with a travel agent. If people want they can put down a deposit to hold just at least the room.
3) Non of the packages included the judge. However if you stay in a master suite or higher for 5 nights or longer than the judge is free. You cannot remove the video or photographer from it.
4) For every outside vendor there is a $350 fee. The resort has a list of approved vendors that you can book through them to avoid this fee. However be aware that usually the cost is a lot more if you go through the resort.
5) The communication for lack of a better word is atrocious, but every bride who has had their wedding at the royal has said once you get there everything is amazing. Just keep a binder with everything in writing.


I agree with all the pros. Location is what really makes this resort so popular. Not to mention they are #2 on trip advisor and are well known for their food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejacque View Post
Hi Ladies,

Can anyone tell me how to figure out what dates are available and how to a date? I really want to have our wedding at the Royal PDC, but I can't figure it out on their website. Do you really have to select the exact package, flowers, etc all at once? I'm so confused.
If you just pick your flowers and so on now its just so to get an estimated price. You can go back after you have booked and change whatever you like. I know it seems weird but after you make your selections it will tell you if your date is available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmcan View Post
1) as long as you keep everything in writing you wont have extra fees here in there, it all depends on when you book. At the time you put your deposit down then you are locked in to those rates.
2) The hotel seems to be selling out at least 3 months in advance. The only thing to do is get your guests booking early and let them know this resort sells out fast. I highly recommend working with a travel agent. If people want they can put down a deposit to hold just at least the room.
3) Non of the packages included the judge. However if you stay in a master suite or higher for 5 nights or longer than the judge is free. You cannot remove the video or photographer from it.
4) For every outside vendor there is a $350 fee. The resort has a list of approved vendors that you can book through them to avoid this fee. However be aware that usually the cost is a lot more if you go through the resort.
5) The communication for lack of a better word is atrocious, but every bride who has had their wedding at the royal has said once you get there everything is amazing. Just keep a binder with everything in writing.


I agree with all the pros. Location is what really makes this resort so popular. Not to mention they are #2 on trip advisor and are well known for their food.
ok...Thanks a lot on the info! I will go there for a site visit in June this year. Maybe I will see some of the brides on this forum...heehee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypigpig View Post
ok...Thanks a lot on the info! I will go there for a site visit in June this year. Maybe I will see some of the brides on this forum...heehee
I have had Aja as a stateside WC and have had no problems with communication so maybe see if you can get her. I will be there the 14-21 and the wedding is on the 18 of June. So maybe we will see you there! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypigpig View Post
I am looking at this resort. I went to the Gran in 2004 with my mom, and we were very pleased with the hotel and experience. So far...There is a few huh.gif on the Royal:
CONS
1) they seems to charge u here and there...left and right
2) Hotel can be full very fast, and then u have to pay extra for the day pass
3) does the luxury (the one at $3800, includes the judge?) and can we remove the photographer/video from it?
4) Extra External Vendor fee to be added on top?
5) very bad communication with WC (it is not only at Royal...same thing with brides dealing with Barcelo...it is like talking to a wall)
PROS
1) very nice location, next to PDC, so no need to take $10-$30 cab to get to a town, super convenient for Bachelor party or girls' night out! or get extra supplies.
2) people with kids and limited budget can stay at the Gran, so no need to be stuck in a kids "friendly" hotel or force people to pay extra $200-$500 per week to stay at the Royal.
3) Starbucks in PDC for Starbucks addicts

NO WAY!!! STARBUCKS!! I knew I picked PDC for a reason-haha!! FI and I are definitely addicts
That is reassuring that the Royal is not the only resort with bad communication-well not really but you know what I mean.
I really believe that even though things seem bad trying to plan in the states, we will all be very very happy with our weddings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
NO WAY!!! STARBUCKS!! I knew I picked PDC for a reason-haha!! FI and I are definitely addicts
That is reassuring that the Royal is not the only resort with bad communication-well not really but you know what I mean.
I really believe that even though things seem bad trying to plan in the states, we will all be very very happy with our weddings
LOL, yeah, last time I went to PDC (Sept 2009) I saw 2 StarBucks and I know there are 3 in PDC. 1 HagenDaz...and a few international perfum/makeup shop with MAC inside, so no need to panic in case u forgot that "waterproof" mascara...or that Vera Wang perfume! Not far from PDC ( a cab is needed) they have 1 Sam's Club and 1 Walmart...so OOT bags or at least some stuffs in those bags can be bought there instead of "imported". That also mean..less heavy luggages!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ladies, I have a quick question I was hoping somebody could answer for me. All of my guests have just booked the round-trip transportation that the resort offers when booking a room. Do you know what they should expect when they fly into Cancun? There will be 18 people all arriving on the same flight. Will there be somebody with a sign that says, The Royal Playa del Carmen? Or their names? I'd like to give them some guidance on what to expect so they don't get swarmed with private transportation companies and end up going with the wrong people. Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by astreit View Post
Hey Ladies, I have a quick question I was hoping somebody could answer for me. All of my guests have just booked the round-trip transportation that the resort offers when booking a room. Do you know what they should expect when they fly into Cancun? There will be 18 people all arriving on the same flight. Will there be somebody with a sign that says, The Royal Playa del Carmen? Or their names? I'd like to give them some guidance on what to expect so they don't get swarmed with private transportation companies and end up going with the wrong people. Thanks so much!
It depends which company your travel is booked through, but usually it is explained in your travel documents. For example, Lomas Travel does private transfers and they always tell you to look for people in white pants with teal shirts, and obviously the lomas travel name. Travel Impressions has transfers through American Express.

There are lots of transfer companies outside the airport when you come out of the doors, but it's not a very large area. If they just look around for the name of the transfer company, they will be fine. It's really a fairly easy process.

Just make sure you tell them to keep going until they get outside of the airport and not to stop and talk to the people selling time shares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×