Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
steph_n_taz

ROYAL PLAYA DEL CARMEN BRIDES: were kids allowed for the day? ...and other questions

Recommended Posts

I hope I am doing this right...here is my review:

 

@ Royal Wednesday, Oct 21 through Friday Oct 30, 2009

 

Thursday

Met w/ Zulma-12:00-you will set your appt with her about 2 weeks before your arrival. She is super nice and makes youâ€re her priority during your entire stay! Which may help explain the long time between email responses from her. We went through all of the options that came with our package (Luxury package). We had about 25 guests. I gave her a picture in a magazine of what I wanted my flowers to look like…when I saw them I was very pleased. They looked exactly like the picture I gave her. Our package came with a photographer, but since we wanted Del Sol only Zulma said that Fun Ever does the photography and the video, so she would just have them extend the video time to make up the difference. We also gave her our sign in book, champagne glasses, koozies & maracas for our table. Maracas were bought for $1 each on 5th.

 

Friday

11:00-mani & pedi

Do NOT try to do everything the same day as your wedding. Thatâ€s just too much!

 

Ladies-donâ€t forget to eat enough the day of your wedding! Try to call room services so you can snack and drink a couple of glasses of champagne (it helps with the picture taking).

 

Catamaran

Catamaya :::::::::: CATAMAYA :::::::::: was awesome! 65 foot Catamaran. We told all of our guests ahead of time that we had a special “thank you†surprise for all of them. On Thursday we told them what is was. Everyone was super excited! We got the basic package ($2200 + Transportation-$10 per person). We snorkeled, fished-and caught fish, made Civiche out of the fish we caught, they played music, and we had an open bar.

 

Saturday

Hair & Make-Up @ Spa-2:00

Wedding - 4:00

Reception-5:00

 

The Gran

We had A LOT of trouble getting guests over from here to The Royal. We were told 10 different things by everyone. No one seemed to know what was going on. It was truly ridiculous! I recommend that NONE of your guests stay there if you want to see them during the trip.

 

Tipping

You donâ€t have to tip, but we did. A dollar here, a dollar there…will get you better service. We also tipped the maid who cleaned our room and the turn down service.

 

Ceremony

We had our wedding on the gazebo (which they will decorate with tulle at no extra cost). All guest chairs were placed on the gazebo (with chair covers-at no extra cost). I decided to put my hair in a side pony incase it was super windy. We chose the violin option. Our hors dâ€oeuvres were served in the garden area (they were very yummy), while the Mariachi band played. While that was going on, Matt del Sol Photography took pics of Brent and I while his assistant took pics of our guests.

 

Photographer

We booked Del Sol for 5 hours. Worth every penny! Matt is awesome! He is from Atlanta but lives in Mexico with his wife who is also a photographer and he speaks excellent Spanish! Matt came to my room as we were getting ready and his assistant went to Brentâ€s room as the boys were getting ready. Matt literally saved our beach wedding. Zulma called me about 30 minutes before the ceremony to tell me that she thought it was going to rain and we could have the ceremony outside, but it would be best to have the reception inside. I panicked and said ok. Then Matt jumped into action…looking up the weather on the computer and watching the clouds. He told me to call her back and tell her know that it wasnâ€t going to rain. So we did. And I am so grateful! It didnâ€t rain! I would have regretted that so much!

 

Reception

Our tables were beautifully set up on the beach (which was right behind the gazebo-best/most private place). We rented the lounge furniture from the Royal around $200-250. We used the lounge furniture. Get it! They also set up plants, lights and decorations (at no extra cost).

 

After, we took our pics we sat down for dinner. We were more concerned with dancing. So we asked Carlos to speed up the dinner. The dinner and everything about it was wonderful. When we initially met with Zulma we picked our salad, soup, dessert & cake. We asked her if we could do a menu tasting to decide on the entre. She said we could taste 3 items. She set up our tasting for Thursday. It was at Spice. We got to meet the Chef who would be cooking for our reception. This was when we got to meet Carlos for the first time. We chose the filet for our main course and got the salmon dish for my one vegetarian friend. Everyone bragged about the food! The steaks were cooked perfectly!

 

After we ate we did all of the other traditional wedding stuff then danced. We got Ivan from DJ Doremixx http://www.xcancun.com/doremixx/home.html & his light up dance floor. We did not book him through the resort. They were wonderful. Ivan will find you at the resort a few days before your wedding to get to know you and see if you have any special requests. They have a HUGE list of songs and were able to play everything we requested. They can also plug in your IPod or IPhone if they donâ€t have a song you want. The light up dance floor was AWESOME!

Zulma was there nearly the entire time. I donâ€t know when the WCâ€s sleep! She was behind the scenes, out of the way, but the second she thought I needed something; she came running from out of nowhere! It was very comforting. Right when the sun sets, mosquitoes come out! Very briefly (like 30 minutes). So Zulma and Carlos got someone to grab bug spray for us. (Iâ€m from Louisiana and am very used to mosquitoes, but I even thought they were bad.)

 

Reception Food

Wedding Cake-Tres Leche (3 milk)-wonderful, cold cake (not hard like an ice cream cake) with a naturally sweet taste. You can try it at Pelicanos.

Salad

Soup

Main Course

Dessert-Cheesecake

I have pics of the 3 main courses we sampled at Spice.

 

Carlos

He had only been working at the resort for about a week when we met him. He came from a resort in Cabo and was training to manage at the Royal. He was great! He seemed to be everywhere! He was the first person to greet me by my new last name.

 

Climate

I could have walked around in my bathing suit from sun up until the time I went to bed. It was a breezy 80-85 degrees the whole time. Donâ€t waste space packing little sweaters/jackets, long dresses. Try to dress as cool and comfortable as possible.

 

Restaurants

Spice-not much A/C going on. A good place to go for breakfast! They have an egg bar, omelet bar, waffle/pancake/French toast/crepe bar & tons of other great things.

Pelicanos/Tapa-Open air bar-Great for lunch/snacks. You can go in there wearing a bathing suit cover up. Food is awesome!

Maria Marie-It was very hot in there when we ate for dinner. They said there was an A/C issue. One of my least favorite restaurants.

Chefâ€s Plate-Cool inside. More dressy. Food is wonderful. You must make a reservation.

 

Activities Committee

These guys were fun & very entertaining! They are everywhere & apparently donâ€t sleep (like the WCâ€s).

There are always activities at the pool & in the Lobby at night.

 

Most Important

Enjoy your time. Donâ€t freak out. These people are all amazing and will do everything they can to make sure your experience is wonderful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyfranzel View Post
Met w/ Zulma-12:00-you will set your appt with her about 2 weeks before your arrival. She is super nice and makes youâ€re her priority during your entire stay! Which may help explain the long time between email responses from her. We went through all of the options that came with our package (Luxury package). We had about 25 guests. I gave her a picture in a magazine of what I wanted my flowers to look like…when I saw them I was very pleased. They looked exactly like the picture I gave her.


Saturday
Hair & Make-Up @ Spa-2:00
Wedding - 4:00
Reception-5:00


Ceremony
We had our wedding on the gazebo (which they will decorate with tulle at no extra cost). All guest chairs were placed on the gazebo (with chair covers-at no extra cost). I decided to put my hair in a side pony incase it was super windy. We chose the violin option. Our hors dâ€oeuvres were served in the garden area (they were very yummy), while the Mariachi band played. While that was going on, Matt del Sol Photography took pics of Brent and I while his assistant took pics of our guests.

Reception
Our tables were beautifully set up on the beach (which was right behind the gazebo-best/most private place). We rented the lounge furniture from the Royal around $200-250. We used the lounge furniture. Get it! They also set up plants, lights and decorations (at no extra cost).

After, we took our pics we sat down for dinner. We were more concerned with dancing. So we asked Carlos to speed up the dinner. The dinner and everything about it was wonderful. When we initially met with Zulma we picked our salad, soup, dessert & cake. We asked her if we could do a menu tasting to decide on the entre. She said we could taste 3 items. She set up our tasting for Thursday. It was at Spice. We got to meet the Chef who would be cooking for our reception. This was when we got to meet Carlos for the first time. We chose the filet for our main course and got the salmon dish for my one vegetarian friend. Everyone bragged about the food! The steaks were cooked perfectly!
Great Review! Thank you! I have a few questions....

I also want to bring a picture to have them replicate for flowers... did they charge extra for not going with something in the catolog?

How were the hair and make-up people? How much time should you allow before the ceremony for hair and make-up?

You had your ceremony at the gazebo and your reception on the beach in front of the gazebo? Did they have the tables set up on the beach before your ceremony started? I wanted my reception on the beach in front of the gazebo after my ceremony in the gazebo and Zulma told me that she wouldn't recommend it because the tables would have to be set up prior to my ceremony and they would show in my ceremony pictures in the background and cover up the beach... what was your set up like?

And finally, how long did dinner take to eat? The reception time is so short and I don't want to spend the whole time eating either...

Thanks again for your review!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyfranzel View Post
I hope I am doing this right...here is my review:

@ Royal Wednesday, Oct 21 through Friday Oct 30, 2009

Thursday
Met w/ Zulma-12:00-you will set your appt with her about 2 weeks before your arrival. She is super nice and makes youâ€re her priority during your entire stay! Which may help explain the long time between email responses from her. We went through all of the options that came with our package (Luxury package). We had about 25 guests. I gave her a picture in a magazine of what I wanted my flowers to look like…when I saw them I was very pleased. They looked exactly like the picture I gave her. Our package came with a photographer, but since we wanted Del Sol only Zulma said that Fun Ever does the photography and the video, so she would just have them extend the video time to make up the difference. We also gave her our sign in book, champagne glasses, koozies & maracas for our table. Maracas were bought for $1 each on 5th.

Friday
11:00-mani & pedi
Do NOT try to do everything the same day as your wedding. Thatâ€s just too much!

Ladies-donâ€t forget to eat enough the day of your wedding! Try to call room services so you can snack and drink a couple of glasses of champagne (it helps with the picture taking).

Catamaran
Catamaya :::::::::: CATAMAYA :::::::::: was awesome! 65 foot Catamaran. We told all of our guests ahead of time that we had a special “thank you†surprise for all of them. On Thursday we told them what is was. Everyone was super excited! We got the basic package ($2200 + Transportation-$10 per person). We snorkeled, fished-and caught fish, made Civiche out of the fish we caught, they played music, and we had an open bar.

Saturday
Hair & Make-Up @ Spa-2:00
Wedding - 4:00
Reception-5:00

The Gran
We had A LOT of trouble getting guests over from here to The Royal. We were told 10 different things by everyone. No one seemed to know what was going on. It was truly ridiculous! I recommend that NONE of your guests stay there if you want to see them during the trip.

Tipping
You donâ€t have to tip, but we did. A dollar here, a dollar there…will get you better service. We also tipped the maid who cleaned our room and the turn down service.

Ceremony
We had our wedding on the gazebo (which they will decorate with tulle at no extra cost). All guest chairs were placed on the gazebo (with chair covers-at no extra cost). I decided to put my hair in a side pony incase it was super windy. We chose the violin option. Our hors dâ€oeuvres were served in the garden area (they were very yummy), while the Mariachi band played. While that was going on, Matt del Sol Photography took pics of Brent and I while his assistant took pics of our guests.

Photographer
We booked Del Sol for 5 hours. Worth every penny! Matt is awesome! He is from Atlanta but lives in Mexico with his wife who is also a photographer and he speaks excellent Spanish! Matt came to my room as we were getting ready and his assistant went to Brentâ€s room as the boys were getting ready. Matt literally saved our beach wedding. Zulma called me about 30 minutes before the ceremony to tell me that she thought it was going to rain and we could have the ceremony outside, but it would be best to have the reception inside. I panicked and said ok. Then Matt jumped into action…looking up the weather on the computer and watching the clouds. He told me to call her back and tell her know that it wasnâ€t going to rain. So we did. And I am so grateful! It didnâ€t rain! I would have regretted that so much!

Reception
Our tables were beautifully set up on the beach (which was right behind the gazebo-best/most private place). We rented the lounge furniture from the Royal around $200-250. We used the lounge furniture. Get it! They also set up plants, lights and decorations (at no extra cost).

After, we took our pics we sat down for dinner. We were more concerned with dancing. So we asked Carlos to speed up the dinner. The dinner and everything about it was wonderful. When we initially met with Zulma we picked our salad, soup, dessert & cake. We asked her if we could do a menu tasting to decide on the entre. She said we could taste 3 items. She set up our tasting for Thursday. It was at Spice. We got to meet the Chef who would be cooking for our reception. This was when we got to meet Carlos for the first time. We chose the filet for our main course and got the salmon dish for my one vegetarian friend. Everyone bragged about the food! The steaks were cooked perfectly!

After we ate we did all of the other traditional wedding stuff then danced. We got Ivan from DJ Doremixx http://www.xcancun.com/doremixx/home.html & his light up dance floor. We did not book him through the resort. They were wonderful. Ivan will find you at the resort a few days before your wedding to get to know you and see if you have any special requests. They have a HUGE list of songs and were able to play everything we requested. They can also plug in your IPod or IPhone if they donâ€t have a song you want. The light up dance floor was AWESOME!
Zulma was there nearly the entire time. I donâ€t know when the WCâ€s sleep! She was behind the scenes, out of the way, but the second she thought I needed something; she came running from out of nowhere! It was very comforting. Right when the sun sets, mosquitoes come out! Very briefly (like 30 minutes). So Zulma and Carlos got someone to grab bug spray for us. (Iâ€m from Louisiana and am very used to mosquitoes, but I even thought they were bad.)

Reception Food
Wedding Cake-Tres Leche (3 milk)-wonderful, cold cake (not hard like an ice cream cake) with a naturally sweet taste. You can try it at Pelicanos.
Salad
Soup
Main Course
Dessert-Cheesecake
I have pics of the 3 main courses we sampled at Spice.

Carlos
He had only been working at the resort for about a week when we met him. He came from a resort in Cabo and was training to manage at the Royal. He was great! He seemed to be everywhere! He was the first person to greet me by my new last name.

Climate
I could have walked around in my bathing suit from sun up until the time I went to bed. It was a breezy 80-85 degrees the whole time. Donâ€t waste space packing little sweaters/jackets, long dresses. Try to dress as cool and comfortable as possible.

Restaurants
Spice-not much A/C going on. A good place to go for breakfast! They have an egg bar, omelet bar, waffle/pancake/French toast/crepe bar & tons of other great things.
Pelicanos/Tapa-Open air bar-Great for lunch/snacks. You can go in there wearing a bathing suit cover up. Food is awesome!
Maria Marie-It was very hot in there when we ate for dinner. They said there was an A/C issue. One of my least favorite restaurants.
Chefâ€s Plate-Cool inside. More dressy. Food is wonderful. You must make a reservation.

Activities Committee
These guys were fun & very entertaining! They are everywhere & apparently donâ€t sleep (like the WCâ€s).
There are always activities at the pool & in the Lobby at night.

Most Important
Enjoy your time. Donâ€t freak out. These people are all amazing and will do everything they can to make sure your experience is wonderful!

Thank you so much for your review! It makes me get that much more excited :)

What did you think about the hair and make up at the resort?

Also do you know what the name was of your main course?

Thank You!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our ceremony is at 4 oclock. I am guessing that lasts 20-30 min. Then the cocktail hour is an hour. Obviously :) So, do any of you ladies know if you can request to have your reception start at 630 -7 pm rather than right after the cocktail hour (Luxury Pkg)? I feel like being done at 8pm is going to feel way too early. Also way to early to hit the town!

 

Thanks!

 

Jen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tracey,

 

Thanks so much for your review. I wanted to ask you if you could please explain a bit more regarding the problems you are having with The Gran Porto. We have almost half of our guests staying at the gran. Did you have problems on the wedding day for them to be allowed on the property? what exactly was the problem? I was told by WC Michelle that guests at the Gran need to go to the lobby of Royal, tell them they are there for our wedding and give our names, and then should be able to walk to the Gazebo 30 min before the wedding is to start. Im so scared now all of them will have the problems you had.. any help you can offer would be great!

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

past and future brides -

 

I was thinking of possibly having The Royal provide some sort of dessert tray, or cookie or tray or some type of goodies they can provide late night during the reception, after the meals.. say around 9 or 9:30pm...

 

I feel like people might get hungry later at night or want more food - is anyone else thinking of doing this or even think it would be worth it?

 

Past brides - were you guests just ready to party after the meal or do you think a cookie or brownie or goodie tray would have been good to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesmcan-

 

Did you ever ask The Royal if the food they provided during your tasting was the actual portion size they will be serving during the reception?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerazo View Post
Jesmcan-

Did you ever ask The Royal if the food they provided during your tasting was the actual portion size they will be serving during the reception?

Thanks!

Hi Adriana,

Yes I did ask and no they were not the actual portions :) They just make them smaller for the tasting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • The cooking method can double the calorie content of a meal, so learn about healthy cooking without having to add extra fats, like using a steamer,  a rotisserie , a slow cooker , a pressure cooker, a grill. Once you cook your own meals, you can control the calorie content because your control the cooking method and all the ingredients. A lot of people are overweight because they keep eating food that they did not cook.
    • I have stayed at Dreams La Romana and Dreams Dominicus.  The two resorts are very different in style and decor. A few comparison points are below and fact sheets are attached for both.   Both resorts are approx 45 minutes from Punta Cana airport, close proximity to Saona Island, Catalina Island and Altos de Chavon. Top championship golf courses in the Caribbean are just minutes away including Teeth of the Dog, Dye Fore, The Links and La Estancia – all designed by world-famous Pete Dye. Restaurants are similar at both resorts.  Both offer the Explorers Club for Kids.  Dreams Dominicus  Brand new resort and in 2016 488 rooms (however additional construction was underway) More contemporary style & decor Good beach area Rooms were very nice Preferred Club located in main lobby and adjacent to main pool & beach front Food was good Center plaza area with nighttime entertainment Main lobby is small, but outdoor bar off lobby is nice Dreams La Romana Originally built in 2003 & opened as Dreams La Romana in 2008 756 rooms Recently renovated and new preferred club adults only lounge & pool added  Rooms are more traditional Caribbean decor Grounds are very lush and tropical Good beach area food was good    Dreams Dominicus fact sheet.pdf Dreams La Romana fact sheet.pdf
    • My sister has done it but with the destination wedding, only super close family members and friends came since it was expensive and farther. It was great though.
    • Thanks! I had it printed out. Very useful!!
    • Hello Guys, Are you looking for affordable wedding venue, reception halls, party rentals, outdoor event venue, birthday party venue in mobile al.  Choose Anne-Marie Cottage for your special occasion. Our cottage is an affordable venue for your intimate wedding.   Thank u 
  • Topics

×