ROYAL PLAYA DEL CARMEN BRIDES: were kids allowed for the day? ...and other questions

Hi Matt, Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos! I was the travel agent for Vanessa and Greg and their family and friends for this wedding so it is especially great to see them and the happiness of the day! I love working with weddings at the Royal PDC... it is one of my favorite resorts!

TA Wendy

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey gals! How is everyone!! It's been a while since I've been on here!! Congrats to all the new brides!! 

Planning can be super stressful but enjoyable at the same time. 

The wedding coordinators truly do a great job. Hiccups do happen, a few of us have experienced minor to horrible incidences at The Royal but for your wedding day - they truly do an amazing job. 

Make sure you get everything in writing and documented. Yes they have ridiculous rules but take it with a grain of salt. I loved my time there and would do it all over again. 

As far as meals go, they truly do an amazing job on lamb chops. Our main course was lamb chops and they were incredible. 

Fernando Fuentes - to echo Lisa- does an amazing job with makeup. And he's just hilarious. 

Marvin from Maya Disenos does great floral work. I have pics of my center pieces and they were perfect. 

The DJ was great. I think we had Ivan? If you have specific songs you want to hear, write them down, bc he'll play them. Alot of fun! 

I highly, highly recommend the romantic dinner for two. That was one of our favorite memories. 

Happy planning!! =)  

PS Next year I'm, planning on finally getting my Boudoir photos taken!! Kshow!! - you are one hot momma! Amazing pics!! 

Hey ladies I have been busy and not been able to post or view for awhile. We are sort of on hold waiting to see how many guests we are going to have.

In the meantime I still have some things I need to get done.I finally found my dress, still working on bridemaids dresses, have the tuxes picked out and just need to make the appt.

Booked the DJ, still trying to decide on flower.I am feeling alittle overwhelmed. We picked this so we would not have to plan so much and it seems like there is just as much planning involved.

I could still use some feed back on the following things:

1. We are looking for a photographer and video people yet. Anyone ever use Blue Lens? Or have recommendations. Our budget is around $3500 for both.

2. I have seen in almost all of the review that people got married in the gazebo and not on the beach? Any reason for this? We choose the beach but now I am concerned. If you have pictures of your beach wedding please send or post them. I am looking for ideas for decor and lighting as well as decor for the ceremony.

3. Does anyone know if the resort has a runner or aisle they can put down on the beach for rent?

4.I have some ideas for gift bags, but can always use more. We are not doing favors because we are going to give a gift bag.

5. Do you bring your own menus etc...and they put them out?

6. I have been having some troubles with my coordinator. What exactly will they put our for you for decor? She makes it sound like you have to have someone from your wedding party do all of it??

Well that is what I have for now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Qgirl2,

1. We are looking for a photographer and video people yet. Anyone ever use Blue Lens? Or have recommendations. Our budget is around $3500 for both.

I think someone used Blue Lens on this thread last April or May and gave them a good review.  As for $3500 budget, I think it is a bit tight if you want a whole day coverage for both, but I am sure it is feasible, if you cut on the hours of coverage or bring someone new from home who wants to build his/her portfolio.

2. I have seen in almost all of the review that people got married in the gazebo and not on the beach? Any reason for this? We choose the beach but now I am concerned. If you have pictures of your beach wedding please send or post them. I am looking for ideas for decor and lighting as well as decor for the ceremony.

The gazebo area is shaded, so it is more private, comfy to get married there, and nice to host a cocktail party after the ceremony.  There were a few brides who got married on the beach as well, I didn't see any runner but some brides used rose petals on the sand.  Please note that the beach is not very private because in addition to the existing resort guests, it is a public beach next to the ferry's pier.

3. Does anyone know if the resort has a runner or aisle they can put down on the beach for rent?

like I said, no runner, just petals.  Plus it can be windy on the beach, so the runner may fly away.

4.I have some ideas for gift bags, but can always use more. We are not doing favors because we are going to give a gift bag.

I didn't give any OOT bags because I got translators, lawyers, nurse, doctors as guests, and the Royal gives Pringles chips and juice boxes in their rooms everyday.  Therefore, most of the OOT bag cute ideas were not that useful.  However, I did order some can jackets, customized mugs and shooter glasses from Factory 21 as favors.

I didn't print out the menu due to the lack of time, and they didn't print them nor put them out.  However, I posted my menu on my wedding website, and my guests picked their main course.  No one asked about the menu.  It is a nice detail to have, but not a must.

6. I have been having some troubles with my coordinator. What exactly will they put our for you for decor? She makes it sound like you have to have someone from your wedding party do all of it??

I know how you feel, but don't worry about it.  Given the Royal is a wedding factory, the on-site WCs are super experienced, and they know all the steps and make sure all the details are on the spot!  Sometimes, they even make the impossible...possible!

As your date approaches, after they nag you on and on to make appointment with the spa and pay for the whole thing, you will be assigned to an on-site WC.  She will schedule a meeting before the wedding in which you will bring all your decors (if you have any)..and tell her how and where you would want them to be place.  She will also tell you..step by step...i.e. what time she will come to pick you up from your room, what time the men and the guests should be at the ceremony location and with walkie talkie to make sure you will walk down at the right time.

Therefore, don't stress too much on this.

I cannot speak to all of your questions but can help you with a few.....

I have hired Derek Campbell with Photos in Cancun and am getting full day coverage for about $2000.  One of my very close friends is a photographer here but will be having a baby right before our wedding.  I looked at his reviews and sent her (my friend) his website and I feel very confident in my decision.  I think he is really worth looking into, most other photographers were way out of that price range.  Playa Weddings is also worth looking into for the video.  A little high but you will be saving money if you hire Derek.

My fiance and I are getting married in the gazebo for a couple reasons.....The view is still gorgeous, more privacy, I want to wear heels and I think my guests will be able to hear our wedding better.  When my fiance and I visited there in May we saw a wedding set up where they had a runner going down the aisle....I will attach a pic, hopefully ;)  I am sure your coordinator will help you with this.

I have never spoke with an off site coordinator and besides a couple long awaited responses I could not be more happy with our on site coordinator.  I am sure she will make everything perfect for you. 

Our wedding will be about a month before yours so if you have any questions when you are getting close to the date please ask.  I will be more than happy to help you :)IMG_1871.JPG

Originally Posted by Mayanbride View Post

Qgirl2,

I think someone used Blue Lens on this thread last April or May and gave them a good review.  As for $3500 budget, I think it is a bit tight if you want a whole day coverage for both, but I am sure it is feasible, if you cut on the hours of coverage or bring someone new from home who wants to build his/her portfolio.

The gazebo area is shaded, so it is more private, comfy to get married there, and nice to host a cocktail party after the ceremony.  There were a few brides who got married on the beach as well, I didn't see any runner but some brides used rose petals on the sand.  Please note that the beach is not very private because in addition to the existing resort guests, it is a public beach next to the ferry's pier.

like I said, no runner, just petals.  Plus it can be windy on the beach, so the runner may fly away.

I didn't give any OOT bags because I got translators, lawyers, nurse, doctors as guests, and the Royal gives Pringles chips and juice boxes in their rooms everyday.  Therefore, most of the OOT bag cute ideas were not that useful.  However, I did order some can jackets, customized mugs and shooter glasses from Factory 21 as favors.

I didn't print out the menu due to the lack of time, and they didn't print them nor put them out.  However, I posted my menu on my wedding website, and my guests picked their main course.  No one asked about the menu.  It is a nice detail to have, but not a must.

I know how you feel, but don't worry about it.  Given the Royal is a wedding factory, the on-site WCs are super experienced, and they know all the steps and make sure all the details are on the spot!  Sometimes, they even make the impossible...possible!

As your date approaches, after they nag you on and on to make appointment with the spa and pay for the whole thing, you will be assigned to an on-site WC.  She will schedule a meeting before the wedding in which you will bring all your decors (if you have any)..and tell her how and where you would want them to be place.  She will also tell you..step by step...i.e. what time she will come to pick you up from your room, what time the men and the guests should be at the ceremony location and with walkie talkie to make sure you will walk down at the right time.

Therefore, don't stress too much on this.

Originally Posted by qgirl2 View Post

Hey ladies I have been busy and not been able to post or view for awhile. We are sort of on hold waiting to see how many guests we are going to have.

In the meantime I still have some things I need to get done.I finally found my dress, still working on bridemaids dresses, have the tuxes picked out and just need to make the appt.

Booked the DJ, still trying to decide on flower.I am feeling alittle overwhelmed. We picked this so we would not have to plan so much and it seems like there is just as much planning involved.

I could still use some feed back on the following things:

Well that is what I have for now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ladies please help with any ideas... We have a MAJOR problem.... Our date is still 6 months out but the Royal is 100% booked the weekend of our wedding and no one bothered to notify us and our group is only 20% booked!! The Royal has been trying to book people at the Gran Porto, and haven't been forthcoming about this... They also didn't tell me until I called after finding out about one guest who tried to book and was quoted for GP not Royal... We have been telling guests to book, but I was told that they would have plenty of rooms through year end so to be sure and have everyone book by the holidays.... I am kind of panicking here... It has been one incident after another with the WC's at the Royal, and while my FI would really like to call the whole thing off at this point and get married at home, I can't do that to the 20% who have booked hotel and airfare. It is really looking like our only alternative is to move our wedding date, UGGHHHHH! I feel horrible about having to move our date and want offer to pay for any airfare change fees for our guests, I don't know what else I can do.... And to add to the fun, my WC has been on maternity leave for a month and won't be back until January, JOY. Please share if you think our guest would be offended, would you if you were a guest and got a date moved notice with all the details? FI does NOT want to move everything to the GP and it sounds like that will be sold out soon too.... Anyone else having this problem with communication, or lack of communication, I am seriously at my breaking point with the entire staff at the Royal! :(

JessicaAnne,

I am sorry to hear this, usually it only happens around January that we hear bad news like that from end of April Brides.  Yes, the Royal and GP both got sold out in April almost every year.  They usually reserve a chunk of their rooms for their timeshare members because they have a policy that guarantees rooms availability, plus some are reserve for airline packages.  Therefore, even they said it is sold out, it is not really FULL/ SOLD OUT.

You can put your guests in GP, and when they check in ..they can ask for upgrade to the Royal for around $60/nite per room (if there are rooms available at the last minute), if not they can come to the Royal on your wedding day without a day pass, you can always visit them. 

Another solution would be move your wedding to another Real resort...or just let your other guests to book with other resorts, and you pay the extra fee for non-Royal guests.

wow, never would've thought they'd be sold out so soon - I'm so sorry, JessicaAnne. : (

there are 20% of your people who have booked, correct? I'm not sure whether or not that's a big number, but can you communicate with them individually about possibly moving the date and gauge the response? on my side, only one guest has booked airfare, whereas many more have booked their rooms on booking.com (fully refundable until 48 hrs before the reservation), so it wouldn't be a huge deal for us to change. do you know the terms and conditions of the other guests' bookings?

it seems weird that the royal would be sold out only during that weekend. wonder what's going on? and THANK YOU for the head's up - I'm going to light a fire under our few stragglers who haven't yet booked.

Originally Posted by JessicaAnne View Post

Ladies please help with any ideas... We have a MAJOR problem.... Our date is still 6 months out but the Royal is 100% booked the weekend of our wedding and no one bothered to notify us and our group is only 20% booked!! The Royal has been trying to book people at the Gran Porto, and haven't been forthcoming about this... They also didn't tell me until I called after finding out about one guest who tried to book and was quoted for GP not Royal... We have been telling guests to book, but I was told that they would have plenty of rooms through year end so to be sure and have everyone book by the holidays.... I am kind of panicking here... It has been one incident after another with the WC's at the Royal, and while my FI would really like to call the whole thing off at this point and get married at home, I can't do that to the 20% who have booked hotel and airfare. It is really looking like our only alternative is to move our wedding date, UGGHHHHH! I feel horrible about having to move our date and want offer to pay for any airfare change fees for our guests, I don't know what else I can do.... And to add to the fun, my WC has been on maternity leave for a month and won't be back until January, JOY.
Please share if you think our guest would be offended, would you if you were a guest and got a date moved notice with all the details? FI does NOT want to move everything to the GP and it sounds like that will be sold out soon too....
Anyone else having this problem with communication, or lack of communication, I am seriously at my breaking point with the entire staff at the Royal! sad.gif

Jessica-

OMG, that is so horrible. I am actually getting married the same weekend as you. I had heard that it was a possibility that the resort would "sell out", so I had my TA reserve extra rooms to hold for our group.

I second the suggestion that your guests could probably upgrade at Check-in. I wish I had more helpful suggestions!!!

Best wishes!!!

Denielle

Originally Posted by JessicaAnne View Post

Ladies please help with any ideas... We have a MAJOR problem.... Our date is still 6 months out but the Royal is 100% booked the weekend of our wedding and no one bothered to notify us and our group is only 20% booked!! The Royal has been trying to book people at the Gran Porto, and haven't been forthcoming about this... They also didn't tell me until I called after finding out about one guest who tried to book and was quoted for GP not Royal... We have been telling guests to book, but I was told that they would have plenty of rooms through year end so to be sure and have everyone book by the holidays.... I am kind of panicking here... It has been one incident after another with the WC's at the Royal, and while my FI would really like to call the whole thing off at this point and get married at home, I can't do that to the 20% who have booked hotel and airfare. It is really looking like our only alternative is to move our wedding date, UGGHHHHH! I feel horrible about having to move our date and want offer to pay for any airfare change fees for our guests, I don't know what else I can do.... And to add to the fun, my WC has been on maternity leave for a month and won't be back until January, JOY.
Please share if you think our guest would be offended, would you if you were a guest and got a date moved notice with all the details? FI does NOT want to move everything to the GP and it sounds like that will be sold out soon too....
Anyone else having this problem with communication, or lack of communication, I am seriously at my breaking point with the entire staff at the Royal! sad.gif

Hi brides,

I have a few questions I need help with...

1. My wedding is 2.5 weeks away and I still havenâ€t heard anything from the DJ at Royal. At what point do they contact you to get your music preferences, first dance song, etc?

2. My onsite wedding coordinator has only sent me one generic email telling me that she will meet me once I arrive to take care of details. Is this typical of the prewedding communication? Her name is Denyz. Has anyone worked with her before?

3. Any other Dec brides? I would love to meet some of you there!

I hope everyoneâ€s planning is going well!

Roza

December 4, 2011 @ The Royal, PDC