ROYAL PLAYA DEL CARMEN BRIDES: were kids allowed for the day? ...and other questions

hi jen -

I'm not sure what the coordinator rules are regarding basecamp - whether or not all coordinators use it or more it's there if they choose to. I really like it because it tracks all the conversations. there is just a loooooooong message thread with the discussions ana and I have had, important documents, etc. it also reminds you of critical milestones (when payments are due, for example). depeding on who you're working with, they may not use it. I'd think as long as your communication was solid and you had signed contracts and important deadlines all in order, you're fine.

I don't know how much I'll divulge to my off-site coordinator because it seems like the on-site ones are much more lenient with the rules and outside vendor fees. that being said, I don't think anyone has had issues using a vendor for whom they booked a room. if they're a royal guest, they're a royal guest, period.

good ideas on the table decorations! in the past the royal would let brides ship items to their on-site wedding coordinators, but I'm betting it got too hectic and so they simply did away with that option. you could always have someone close to you carry an extra bag with your ceremony items - just as long as they packed it themselves. ; )

I thought of putting lighted ice cubes (or something similar) in the flower vases on the reception tables for some additional lighting, but that may compete with the candles in your setup. there has been talk of the royal providing some type of table lighting, though I don't know what it is exactly. some brides didn't feel their tables were as illuminated as others they had seen in photos.

initially I had wanted to the legal ceremony at home first (due to blood tests, etc) and my fiance is divorced, so that complicates things a bit. but I've found that we only need to carry (not translate) the appropriate documentation, and I'm pretty encouraged by it going smoothly thus far. I kinda want the beach wedding to be the one and only true ceremony, but I certainly understand why people would get married ahead of time. for example, if something is off with the blood test, they'll cancel the entire ceremony. that's enough to make me want to do seperate tests here before we leave just to make 100% certain that everything will be fine in mexico.

best of luck with your continued planning! I can't wait to hear how everything turns out. : )

Originally Posted by violagirl View Post

Wow, the date is fast approaching, May 21st!  And the more I read, the more questions I have!  Kellygrrrl, you mentioned a basecamp login....what is this, and should I have this already? 

Also: for those of you who booked a room for your photographer, did you clear that with your WC?  We haven't been assigned our on-site coordinator yet, and I'm slightly afraid to ask about booking a room for the photographer to try to get around the vendor fee.  However, I'm afraid that if I don't ask, I'll end up getting charged both for the room and for the outside vendor fee.  Any thoughts?

For those of you interested in adding to the basic decorations, I found very inexpensive table covers at efavormart.com.  The tables used for the Royal receptions are 1.5 meters round (app. 72").   I also ordered a couple of rolls of tulle in burgundy and ivory (very inexpensive!), and I am thinking of making small, round paper luminaries for the tables (reception starts at 7, so we'll be in the dark for much of it) with LED lights inside.  I'm pretty amazed at how easy and inexpensive these decorations can be--now the question is, how do I get all this stuff down there??  :)

Anyone have other ideas for table lighting?  I am afraid it may be too windy for candles (we're not on the beach, but near it--at the gazebo). 

Here's yet another question:  is anyone else taking care of the legal ceremony at home, prior to the Mexico wedding?  We are thinking of doing this, just because of all the additional requirements to get legally married in MX.  Any thoughts on this?

Kshows03, your description is fantastic!  I love the detail you put into this, it's so helpful and gave me lots of ideas. Congrats on your awesome wedding :)

Thanks,
Jen

Originally Posted by JHarris View Post

Ladies - thanks for all the fabulous comments. 

Anima- I am using destinationweddings.com myself. My travel agent does it all for me. I keep her in the loop of any plans I have & communications with my WC just in case I can't answer as quickly. She helped me out when the Royal made a mistake on booking another event as my wedding in the other ballrooms. She is booking both hotel and air for my guests. They should be a one stop shop. I haven't had issues with that from my guests. 

ViolaGirl - We did the legal part already and are having a symbolic wedding - which means you can ask a close person to officiate and you can have your vowels as you chose. Definitely makes life a tad easier if you don't want to deal with making it legal in Mexico. 

Kayla - Fantastic review!! So glad to hear that it all worked out despite a bit of rain. Can't wait to see your pics!!! You are quite the DIYer. I loved how your invites turned out. I went with classic an boring. LOL.... If only there was more than 24 hours in a day!! Did you get your dress steamed/pressed at the resort? Did you like how it turned out?

Lisa - Love how your rehearsal dinner turned out. How did you get past their rule that you have to be a guest at the hotel to have a rehearsal dinner there? I remember last year there was an issue with that. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JHARRIS - Yes I did get my dress and his suit steamed at the resort.  We just dropped it off at the wedding center and then it was delivered to the room two days later.  The catch is that you have to be in the room to accept it and "ok" it, they won't just drop it off (which is probably a good thing...but inconvenient).  I thought they did a really good job considering I was so annoyed with my dress through customs and immigration that I was dragging it at points.  (In the bag of course).  cheesy.gif

Originally Posted by kshows03 View Post

JHARRIS - Yes I did get my dress and his suit steamed at the resort.  We just dropped it off at the wedding center and then it was delivered to the room two days later.  The catch is that you have to be in the room to accept it and "ok" it, they won't just drop it off (which is probably a good thing...but inconvenient).  I thought they did a really good job considering I was so annoyed with my dress through customs and immigration that I was dragging it at points.  (In the bag of course).  cheesy.gif

What customs issues did you have? Was it because of the starfish? Glad to hear you were able to carry your dress on board the plane. Did you make arrangements with the airline to keep it hung in first class or the captain's closet?

Hi all... I have a question, did anybody just use the resort photographer? If so were you happy with the pictures? I am wondering if I should also look into booking a photographer as well, and I also saw mentioned on here that there is an outside vendor fee? My WC Angie mentioned that they can make several arrangements for vendors such as the DJ, but she never mentioned anything about an outside vendor fee.

Thanks!

JHARRIS - No, no issues (Thank God!) but we waited in lines 45 min to an hour.  I think 3 planes got in at the same time.  So carrying a 50 pound dress in my arms got real old real fast.  We were lucky enough to have my boss upgrade our tickets to first class so they were really nice about my dress and hung it in a closet, but even in the closet it had to be folded in half.  We didn't ship anything due to the cost more than anything and with our first class tickets got to check two bags a peice for free, so we each had two checked bags, one carry on, and then I had my dress as well.  (Haha, it probably looked like we were traveling for months)!  However, we did have one more suitcase that we made the best man travel with and he did get stopped at customs.  They freaked out at first since it was all decorations but in each suitcase front pocket we carried a list of all the items in that bag as well as the receipts for those items.  Once the customs people saw them pull out the baggie of all the documentation they just let them go.  Especially for all you ladies who are just now starting - KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!!!!  The only thing that would have helped is if we had an actual value amount associated with each bag.  They eneded up just rounding the receipts out - but it would have been nice to have it in advance.

Just another little tid bit!!

Lisa - Love how your rehearsal dinner turned out. How did you get past their rule that you have to be a guest at the hotel to have a rehearsal dinner there? I remember last year there was an issue with that. 

Thank you! I had no issues; he never brought it up as being a prerequisite.

Originally Posted by Rissa519 View Post

Hi all... I have a question, did anybody just use the resort photographer? If so were you happy with the pictures? I am wondering if I should also look into booking a photographer as well, and I also saw mentioned on here that there is an outside vendor fee? My WC Angie mentioned that they can make several arrangements for vendors such as the DJ, but she never mentioned anything about an outside vendor fee.

Thanks!

Rissa, I'll post some pics from the resort photographer that came free with my package later 

Hi Ladies!  I booked our date at the Royal. We are having the ceremony at the gazebo, but when I tried to tell the WC I wanted to have my reception on the beach, she told me I couldn't reserve a beach site until closer to the wedding date (which is May 2012).  Is this the case for you other ladies that are having beach receptions?  It just seemed a little weird so I thought I would ask...thanks in advance!