ROYAL PLAYA DEL CARMEN BRIDES: were kids allowed for the day? ...and other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by diahr View Post

OMG Diahr... Wow im so sorry to hear this, I can totally understand why you are pissed! I'm going thru the same thing with my future sister inlaw. All I can say is if anyone can't or won't go then it's there loss. Yes it will be sad for us but it will be an amazing experience and anyone who is there will be lucky enough to share it with us! Keep smiling;) Hey Ladies. I hope that everyone had a HAPPY THANKSGIVING! With that...I need to do some serious venting and I think only my Royal brides and brides to be will understand. So after my father-in-law (and his wife - my FI's stepmom) guilted us into coming over to there house for Thanksgiving before leaving to go to Philadelphia to visit my family, they dropped the bomb on me that they didn't think they would be able to make the wedding. This is the very first "backout" that I have had.  I know we would get some, but not my FI's dad for EFF sake!! I gotta be honest and say this is devastating to me. My father-in-law and his wife have known since we got engaged over 6 mos ago that we were doing a destination wedding.  They were one of the core people that I considered before committing to the idea.  We are extremely close to these people. And now....they backout?!

The reasons (more BS to me) include "I can't get the time off of work" (my father-in-law works in the school system, his wife is a Realtor), "I have to equip my jeep with shocks and a trailor" (they are allegedly moving to TX in June and are driving), and "We have to get ready to move" (again, they are moving allegedly in June, our wedding is in April). WTF?! Am I crazy or is this complete BS? Please be aware that my father-in-law owns his home and he makes almost if not 6 figures. Come on....! They even went so far as to get their passports a few months ago further leading us on that they were going! I think at the end of the day, they are just scared. I would have rather been told that than the money bs coming from people that obviously have money.  Did I mention that they tried to get us to go away with them for Christmas?!

I don't know how to feel, but we are at the point of no return. The photog, wedding stay and honeymoon, and wedding date are booked. My MOHs are booking this weekend. I am so pissed. These people have been involved everystep of the way. I seriously have no desire to even speak to them, but my FI says that is being bitter. WTF ever... ! Than my father-in-law had the nerve to ask me to throw a AHR when we got back. My response - absolutely not! We (my FI and I) are paying for 100% of this wedding by ourselves.  Our family has chipped in nothing nor have they offered and my 6 figure earning, BS spewing, scaredy pants father-in-law wants us to incur even more costs (we are not rich folks) and throw a party to make him and his wife feel better / involved?!  Screw that!!!!  I told him that I am paying for nothing else. If people can't come to the wedding, that's their business, but my FI and I will not be paying for anything else. We want to invest everything in our wedding day when we commit to each other forever. Jeesh!!! Sorry for the long post but I had to get that out. Woke up with steam still coming out of my ears!!  So So pissed.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diahr,

I am on the same boat with you! Except, it isn't my in-laws, it is my own parents!  They were excited at the beginning, renewed their passports. 

All of sudden, they backout!  My parents earn more than me (each of them, not combined), I make 6 digits alone too.  I was like WTF!  I cried in front of them when they told me that ( I got an asthma attack because I was crying so hard!!)!  I refused to talk to them and rant rant to my grandparents in Hong Kong and Australia for months.  My little siblings who work part time are saving like mads to come, and their parents are too cheap to come.  My FI's family lives in Europe, so they will fly 7-8 hours and join us.  His parents are divorced, and both of them will join us too!  It is f**** embarrassing!  My parents are together, and they are too cheap to come.  My 17 yrs old little bro will replace his dad to give me away.

OK, one thing I need to explain.  In chinese culture, whenever u invite people to come from far, you need to pay or contribute to their travel expenses, so my parents felt obligate to pay for all the family members who live in Asia...so since they are cheap, they decided to not go!  If they aren't going, then they don't need to invite their family and friends. I think the reason why your in-laws are backing out is that they feel bad to ask family and friends to pay $$$ and travel that far knowing some may not make it.

Now I will give you some hopes.  After months of ranting and acting like a kid, my dad said he will pay for an AHR, so I can calm down.

Thanks so much for your support ladies.  I knew my Royal girls would understand.  I will keep you posted on what happens.  The Royal is a beautiful resort so it is priced accordingly. 

Bonnie / Debbie - I am going to click my heels and pray that our relatives get it together before our big day. If not, I am going to focus on the fact that it is OUR day.  As another bride on the forum put it..."The show must go on." 

Hi Royal Brides,

TA Wendy here... I just wanted to let the brides on this part of the forum know that this next week I am going to Cancun / Playa Del Carmen to attend a special Familiarization trip just for TAs like me who specialize in Destination Weddings. It is specifically put on by the Real resorts group, and I will be meeting with the on site wedding coordinators at the Royal Cancun, Gran Caribe, Royal Playa Del Carmen and the Gran Porto.

We are staying 2 nights up at the Royal Cancun and then 2 nights at the Royal Playa Del Carmen.

I love working with the Royal Playa Del Carmen especially... it is such a great place and one of my very favorite spots!

If anyone has any questions I can get answered for you while I am there, of if anyone would like to give me a mission, I would be most happy to do for you all.

Best regards,

TA Wendy

Girafexx so glad your day was amazing I can't wait to see pics !!!

Originally Posted by giraffexx View Post

Hey Ladies!! I'm back, tanned and MARRIED!! My wedding was AMAZING!!! I can not say enough great things about the Royal, my WC Lili, and all the vendors that helped make our day perfect. I am going to post a full review shortly, just trying to get back to reality right now.

Happy wedding day Lisa and to all the upcoming brides :) Just relax and enjoy every moment, it flies by! I still keep playing it over and over in my head, it feels like a dream.

In the meantime, my friends have bombarded my facebook page with pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them, friend me on FB (Karen Arbasetti).

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

We had no problems using dollars unless it was over $100. It most cases everyone used their cards for large purchases anyways. They have a desk right at the resort that will do the exchange for you but no one needed to use it so I am not sure about the rate.

Originally Posted by danielle6680 View Post

Congratulations Karen!  So good to hear that everything was fabulous!

Recent brides - Did you guys exchange USD for pesos?  If so, where did you get the best rate?

I know back in September the government starting imposing the use of pesos rather than dollars.  I wonder if the shops, bars, etc are holding to it.  Or are they accepting USD?

Any help is appreciated.  I leave in 1 week!!  woot.gif

Originally Posted by FutureMrsYak View Post

So I looked up the forcast and it says showers for wedding day!!! I'm waiting to see the hour by hour forcast!! I just want pictures on the beach....

Don't worry I swear it always says rain and than it doesn't :)

Originally Posted by Bride2B22 View Post

I hope all the Nov-Dec brides have the most amazing, beautiful perfect wedding!!! Cant wait to see pics!

Jess- I cant wait to read your review! I also can't wait until Jan 2nd so i can see your pro wedding pics......hahahahahahaah.......xo!

I know sorry y god getting back to reality is taking longer than I thought ahhah especially with the holidays. I never got t my review like I wanted to this weekend :( I promise next week for sure. I can't wait for the pics to!! at least some teasers lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by diahr View Post

Thanks so much for your support ladies.  I knew my Royal girls would understand.  I will keep you posted on what happens.  The Royal is a beautiful resort so it is priced accordingly. 

Bonnie / Debbie - I am going to click my heels and pray that our relatives get it together before our big day. If not, I am going to focus on the fact that it is OUR day.  As another bride on the forum put it..."The show must go on." 

So sorry diahr I can only imagine how stressful that must be. But exactly this is your day, don't worry it will all work out some how

Diahr -

That is so awful!! I'm so sorry to hear about your in-laws. WOW!! That is completely unbelievable. When you made the decision to have a destination wedding and talked with everyone - didn't they realize the significance of committing? It's not like you decided one morning to have it in Mexico and dropped it on everyone. That whole excuse about moving to Texas in June is cracking me up. LOL..... I find that hilarious bc summers in Texas are brutal. 

That is highly inconsiderate and hopefully they'll reconsider and realize what it means to you and your fiance. To miss your own son's wedding - that's really ballsy and not cool. 

I'm sending positive thoughts your way. It's about the both of you and no one can take that away. 

Giraffex,

Congratz!  I can't wait for your review and pics! 

Danielle6680,

There is a desk for USD exchange in the resort, the rate is better than what restaurants and shops on 5th Ave offer (if you pay in USD).  You can get the best rate at the exchange shops on 5th Ave and HSBC Bank in PDC.  You can also ask your credit card provider to see what is their policy on exchange rate, because some of them offer extremely competitive rate (even better than some banks' rate). I had my Bloomberg remote access with me, so I check the exchange rate every morning after breakfast...LOL (what a maniac!)

I did a check during my last visit, here is the ranking:

Best deal to Worst deal

1) HSBC Bank in PDC (but it is always crowded with long line-ups)

2) My BMO mastercard (it offers daily rate set by Mastercard plus 2%)

3) Currency Exchange Shops in PDC

4) Royal PDC Currency Exchange Desk

5) Local shops and restos when you pay in dollars (the spread can be 15% and more), of course for small purchases, you won't notice it, but it does add up.

Diahr,

Don't worry too much (yes I know you are upset, bitter, and very wtf), as time goes by your in-laws would realize how inconsiderate and unreasonable they are, and they will change their plans.  My parents offered to host my AHR (after more than 6 months of my rant rant across the Pacific Ocean and cold laser stares) , because they still find it tough to ask my relatives to fly all the way from Perth, Australia or Hong Kong to Mexico, so they still not coming.  However, it is OK for them if relatives come to Montreal, but Cancun..is a no no (even it is only 3 hours of plane more).

At the end, it is your day not theirs.  I continue to plan my wedding the way I envision it, and I am sure my parents will be like "#$%$^%$ we should have been there"  when they see my pics.  LOL

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference...

Thanks Wendy! Can you find out the day pass cost for external guests who are not staying at any Real Resort?  Or any Royal brides, if you have this info, can you post it? I have some relatives who are trying to stay in Cancun and drive to Playa Del Carmen to save money (I know...bad idea, but this is the sh*! that we have to deal with)

Originally Posted by TA Wendy View Post

Hi Royal Brides,

TA Wendy here... I just wanted to let the brides on this part of the forum know that this next week I am going to Cancun / Playa Del Carmen to attend a special Familiarization trip just for TAs like me who specialize in Destination Weddings. It is specifically put on by the Real resorts group, and I will be meeting with the on site wedding coordinators at the Royal Cancun, Gran Caribe, Royal Playa Del Carmen and the Gran Porto.

We are staying 2 nights up at the Royal Cancun and then 2 nights at the Royal Playa Del Carmen.

I love working with the Royal Playa Del Carmen especially... it is such a great place and one of my very favorite spots!

If anyone has any questions I can get answered for you while I am there, of if anyone would like to give me a mission, I would be most happy to do for you all.

Best regards,

TA Wendy

Diahr,

This is the rates I got back in April 2010.  If your relaltives want to save $$$, they can stay at the Gran Porto next door, it is cheaper and they don't need a day pass on your wedding day. 

THE ROYAL in Playa Del Carmen-Day Passes

9am – 5pm              $85

12pm – 5pm            $65

5pm – 11pm             $85

9am – 11pm            $145