ROYAL PLAYA DEL CARMEN BRIDES: were kids allowed for the day? ...and other questions

Hi Jess!

Do you have any info on who your WC rented the luminary candles from? I wanted to rent some for my ceremony and reception.

P.S. You sound like things are going alot better now! i am glad!

Thanks! :-)

Originally Posted by jesmcan View Post

Well I am just getting these small square glass holders 4 per table and they were $4 each. So I not sure how much an arrangement gos for like the one I described.

I rented a ton of luminary candles through my WC who is getting them from Cancun and those were a lot pricier.

At one point I was debating ordering them from here, http://www.qcandles.com/

but than I really did not want the hassle of lugging more stuff down. I already have 5 bags yikes! lol

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the lastest review on tripadvisor was a bit disconcerting (regarding police corruption):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150812-d530483-r79660369-The_Royal_Playa_del_Carmen-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

here is a snippet:

"Cautions about the police in mexico. They are crooked jerks who are looking for
white people to harrass and extort money from. We rented jeeps in Cozumel and
had 2 couples in each jeep. Just before we were bringing the jeeps back, the
police pulled us over and said we did not slow down over a speedbump. We did
slow down because the speedbumps are huge and there is no way you could go over
them at full speed. Anyway they said we had to give them $50 per jeep(which they
pocketed) and put it discretely in a green notebook that the cop was holding or
go to jail. Also 2 of my friends who have never been out of the USA before were
walking on the beach just off the resort property (where they rent out jetskis
during the day) at about 11:30 pm when some police with machine guns came up to
them and told them they were being arrested and that they should give them all
the money in their pockets. Well the man only had $1 and his royal keycard, so
the police told him to leave his wife there with them and go to the room and get
money or his ATM card to pay them. AS IF HE WOULD ACTUALLY LEAVE HIS WIFE WITH
THEM!!!!! The cops kept grapping their machine guns. Eventually the couple just
turned around and walked toward the resort and the police did not follow them.
They kept thinking they were gonna get shot in the back. Needless to say their
trip was ruined and they will never go back to Mexico again and probably never
go on a beach vacation anywhere but in the USA again.

uugh, that's not good....hopefully it's not a common occurance....

Originally Posted by Lisa DSO View Post

the lastest review on tripadvisor was a bit disconcerting (regarding police corruption):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150812-d530483-r79660369-The_Royal_Playa_del_Carmen-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

here is a snippet:

"Cautions about the police in mexico. They are crooked jerks who are looking for
white people to harrass and extort money from. We rented jeeps in Cozumel and
had 2 couples in each jeep. Just before we were bringing the jeeps back, the
police pulled us over and said we did not slow down over a speedbump. We did
slow down because the speedbumps are huge and there is no way you could go over
them at full speed. Anyway they said we had to give them $50 per jeep(which they
pocketed) and put it discretely in a green notebook that the cop was holding or
go to jail. Also 2 of my friends who have never been out of the USA before were
walking on the beach just off the resort property (where they rent out jetskis
during the day) at about 11:30 pm when some police with machine guns came up to
them and told them they were being arrested and that they should give them all
the money in their pockets. Well the man only had $1 and his royal keycard, so
the police told him to leave his wife there with them and go to the room and get
money or his ATM card to pay them. AS IF HE WOULD ACTUALLY LEAVE HIS WIFE WITH
THEM!!!!! The cops kept grapping their machine guns. Eventually the couple just
turned around and walked toward the resort and the police did not follow them.
They kept thinking they were gonna get shot in the back. Needless to say their
trip was ruined and they will never go back to Mexico again and probably never
go on a beach vacation anywhere but in the USA again.

on another note.....anyone else of this recent news on the Mexican Pesos?

16 SEP 2010:  Effective immediately all vacationers travelling to Mexico will be required to use Mexican pesos only.  Other currencies, including Canadian and American dollars will no longer be accepted in the country.

The use of international credit cards is unaffected as transactions will continue to be processed in Mexican pesos, as per current practice.

It is recommended that travellers bring Mexican pesos and/or credit cards to avoid difficulties

Originally Posted by rosieposie View Post

uugh, that's not good....hopefully it's not a common occurance....

on another note.....anyone else of this recent news on the Mexican Pesos?

16 SEP 2010:  Effective immediately all vacationers travelling to Mexico will be required to use Mexican pesos only.  Other currencies, including Canadian and American dollars will no longer be accepted in the country.

The use of international credit cards is unaffected as transactions will continue to be processed in Mexican pesos, as per current practice.

It is recommended that travellers bring Mexican pesos and/or credit cards to avoid difficulties

WHAT?!?!?!?!? no way! where did you see that?

Originally Posted by JoZee84 View Post

I had the same question I think Lady Di used them, but you can't view anything on their website. I wanted to use an outside vendor and have someone pick them up too but my WC isn't getting back to me " class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.bestdestinationwedding.com/images/smilies//cry.gif" title=":'(" width="1" />  

Hi JoZee84! You should be able to view their website as long as you have Flash. I looked today and was able to see great pieces. Click on Disenos (designs) and you will see a menu in english. Definitely beautiful work.  cheesy.gif

So not sure if you ladies do, but I read the reviews for The Royal ALL the time on tripadvisor.com. Most of them are really good, sometimes some are not so great.

My question to you ladies who have visited there, was the beach nice? I am slightly concerned because I am totally a beach person. I love laying on the beach, swimming in it, etc. My concern is that most people say the beach is not that nice. That it has a sulfur smell to it and it can be really rocky in most parts. Is this true?

I am not a picky person, but I do want to make sure that my guests are loving the beach!

Any feedback on this from you ladies that have been there?

BTW, thanks for the info. on the flower guy Jess cheesy.gif

Originally Posted by Jenny310 View Post

That's who I'm using!! I think LadyDi used them. His prices are really reasonable. As of now I getting 6 bm bouquets, 5 bountineres and 3 wrist coursages for $300!! Marvin is very responsive.

Hi Jenny310, I am also thinking of using Marvin, he emailed me some sample work and I LOVED it! I also have Elsa as my WC, but have not heard from her since my deposit.  I set up a basecamp but she hasn't responded to my questions yet, but I guess its because my wedding isn't until June.  Have you asked about the vendor fee for using the outside florist? Are you getting your flowers delivered? I was thinking of having them picked up to avoid the fee but wasn't sure how that would work either. 

Originally Posted by JYD1 View Post

Hi JoZee84! You should be able to view their website as long as you have Flash. I looked today and was able to see great pieces. Click on Disenos (designs) and you will see a menu in english. Definitely beautiful work.  cheesy.gif

Thanks, I decided just to email him ( Thanks for the email address Jesmcan! ) and tell him what I was interested in and he sent pictures and prices. His work is amazing! I'm trying to avoid the vendor fee though.  Trying to figure out how to bypass it. haha

For brides getting married in June or later, is your WC answering your questions? I am sending my questions through my basecamp but I haven't recieved any answers! I just send the questions because I don't want to forget them when I finally do talk to them.  Am I being too impatient? The first day I spoke with them over the phone and everything was great! Now its like they don't want to be bothered this early.

Hi Jozee....I am getting married next June and I've been in constant communication with my WC! I actually just spoke to her yesterday. I usually call her and then she'll send me things via basecamp. I think it's important to establish a phone relationship with her so she knows that you want to be attended to. If I send her a message via basecamp and she doesn't reply within two days, depending on how urgent is my questions, I'll call her......my WC is Katia....I am getting married at the royal in cancun but I love this thread and all the info these ladies share! Who's your WC?