Spanish 101

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LeXiee

LeXiee
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

Hey!!

I'm working on a Spanish 101 document to give to our guests.

I am building around Debbie's Caribean Resort Reviews already made Translation Sheet. There are some words... phrases I want to add and I was wondering if anyone knows of a site that not only translates the words but also writes how to pronounce the words? Like Debbie has on her sheet??

Example:
    How are you? Como esta usted KOH-moh ehs-TAH OOS-THE-dh

Thanks so much!!!!

#2 Lex

Lex
    • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:34 PM

This site has a bunch of phrases already broken out into different categories, along with the pronunciation:

Spanish Phrase Finder

#3 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 5,752 posts
      • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

i'd be careful on the pronunciation guides you use -- for example the "us-the-dh" that you posted above is the Spaniard pronunciation, not the Mexican pronunciation.

#4 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

http://bestdestinati....com/forum/t758

Have you seen this one?

#5 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
        • Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by mauraw
        i'd be careful on the pronunciation guides you use -- for example the "us-the-dh" that you posted above is the Spaniard pronunciation, not the Mexican pronunciation.
        Good call, Maur!

#6 LeXiee

LeXiee
        • 286 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Morgan
          That would be the same thing as what I found on the Debbie's site:
          Spanish Words and Travel Phrases and how to say them - Debbie's Caribbean Resort Reviews

#7 LeXiee

LeXiee
          • 286 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:59 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by mauraw
            It all comes from this site:
            Spanish Words and Travel Phrases and how to say them - Debbie's Caribbean Resort Reviews

Is Spaniard the language in the Dominican? That's where I'm going... ??

#8 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 5,752 posts
            • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

perhaps im biased because im a spanish speaker, but i dont like that list you linked to above. things like "mi nombre es" is technically gramatically correct but i dont know anyone who would really say that... instead, you say "me llamo" which literally translates to "i call myself"

from what i know, dominican spanish is similar to puerto rican spanish. neither of those pronounces certain words like spaniard (castillian) spanish. Castillian spanish is typically what people learn in school in the U.S., however there are subtle differences between castillian spanish and mexican spanish --- case in point, a few weeks ago i was speaking in spanish with my FI about which elevator to use to take our groceries upstairs, and i mistakenly used the word "acensor" instead of "elevador" -- my FI gave me the funniest look and asked me "de donde eres? espa┬▒a?"

i dunno, maybe the other spanish speakers can chime in here. the list isnt terrible but the pronunciation guide isnt completely correct on some of the items.

#9 LeXiee

LeXiee
            • 286 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

Ummmm heheh now I don't know what to do?? hehe

#10 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 18,759 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by LeXiee
                That would be the same thing as what I found on the Debbie's site:

I thought you were making something from scratch so I wanted to catch you before you spent too much time. Good to know it's the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users