Legal docs needed for DW in Jamaica

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 boscobel

boscobel
  • VIP Member
  • 24,213 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

So the paperwork from Beaches says that all Matt and I need to be legally married in Jamaica is a notarized copy of our offical birth certificate. Neither of us has been married before, or had any name changes that requires additional paperwork. Matt said he just went to a notary that he knows and the guy told him that we need to write a letter. Does that sound right? Beaches didn't say anything about needing a letter and I suck at writing them...

#2 amandalovesryan

amandalovesryan
    • 933 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

Carly, I think all we need at ROR is notarized passport and birth certificate. I don't know anything about a letter. Hopefully Jen or Janelle or Maureen can clear this up for you. P.S. how much did you pay for the copy? I am an idiot, i did not think it would cost much, it was $54! I wanted 2 copies of each thing in case one got lost! Can you imagine, that much $ for 8 pieces of paper!
      My favorite type of vacation, a relaxing one!

http://tickers.Ticke....d7b2/event.png

#3 boscobel

boscobel
      • VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:59 PM

My parents actually already had a copy at home, so I won't need to order a new one. But I really don't want to write a letter, cuz I hate doing that and it just doesn't sound right!

#4 IrieBride08

IrieBride08
        • 716 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

Carly, you and I have the same wedding requirements (since Beaches & Sandals are owned by the same company) I just sent mine by certified mail to Sandals last week.

All they need are notorized copies of your birth certificate. I took mine to one of those postal stores that make copies and send fedex packages and such and they guy made a copy of my birth certificate and wrote at the bottom, "I, Gionne XX certify that this is a true and valid copy of my birth certificate.. blah blah blah" and then I signed and dated it. He added his signature and notary stuff and stamped it with his notary stamp. Michael go this done at a police station by a notary there. I made a copy of both for our records and sent them off certified mail. and 2 days later, received a receipt from them.

I suggest that you find another notary who will make a copy of your birth certificate and notarize it in your presence.

#5 boscobel

boscobel
          • VIP Member
          • 24,213 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

Thanks, Gionne! That is more like what I thought should happen, so I will see about going to someone else.

#6 KarmaB

KarmaB
            • 796 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

Yep, Gionne is right. Our hotel is a sandals hotel too.

Just a thought if you go to your bank, most likely they will do it for you for free. Mine did. (Chase)

#7 Sharonie

Sharonie
              • 557 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

I did the same, went to my bank (Wellsfargo) and the service was free. We brought the original forms, a hard copy of the docs, signed the copies in front of the notary and she signed then stamped the paper.

#8 Heidi

Heidi
                • 2,642 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by carly
                  So the paperwork from Beaches says that all Matt and I need to be legally married in Jamaica is a notarized copy of our offical birth certificate. Neither of us has been married before, or had any name changes that requires additional paperwork. Matt said he just went to a notary that he knows and the guy told him that we need to write a letter. Does that sound right? Beaches didn't say anything about needing a letter and I suck at writing them...
                  Carly - I learned this the hard way - in PA you cannot get a birth certifiate notorized. I sent a copy of my actual birth certificate - it just needs to have a raised seal. You can order them online.

They wouldn't write a letter for us either - we tried our Wachovia bank and a notary at an auto tags place - both told us the same info.
                  Married April 4, 2008 at the Riu Ocho Rios!

#9 Spazz

Spazz
                  • VIP Member
                  • 10,482 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:57 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Heidi
                    Carly - I learned this the hard way - in PA you cannot get a birth certifiate notorized. I sent a copy of my actual birth certificate - it just needs to have a raised seal. You can order them online.

They wouldn't write a letter for us either - we tried our Wachovia bank and a notary at an auto tags place - both told us the same info.
                    Carly, I had the same problems as Heidi. Mike's was fine b/c he was born in Jersey, but they wouldn't notarize my PA birth certificate. I finally found a very shady auto tags place that would do it, but I think that was just luck. The bank told me "no way".

#10 boscobel

boscobel
                    • VIP Member
                    • 24,213 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

Hmmm, care to share where this shady auto tags place is?

We are supposed to have it to the resort in like a week! Talk about procrastination!

We both do have offical ones, but we didn't want to send originals...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users