Photo

Quiting sucks...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 beacon1

beacon1
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

I smoked for 15years and quit 6 years ago. You can do it. I did it cold turkey as well and what I did was sign up for a marathon, told everyone I was doing it ,raised money for a charity so I couldn't back out , and this got me through my first year. I'm not saying go run a marathon (I'm sure you have enough on your plate planning the wedding.) but set a goal, run a race and start feeling better about yourself. Quiting smoking has changed my life in so many ways. You can do this. You're worth it!

#12 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

my FI is battling this. i personally think smoking is one of the most disgusting habits to have. i stopped allowing him to smoke out our living room window over the winter which made a significant impact. but he is super stressed out right now at work and i caught him hiding ciggys the other day so i wouldnt be disappointed, and he looked like a kid getting caught stealing from the cookie jar. i have 2 grandparents die from cancer related to smoking. FI's mom smokes, and shes a breast cancer survivor. i just dont get the mentality. i expressed to her how sad i would be if she died from smoking related illness and how i really want our future children to have a strong bond with her. she promised me over christmas that she was going to gradually quit smoking so that by the time our wedding arrives, she wont smoke anymore. smoking is really a horrible addiction, just dont give into the temptations. my FI is so bitchy when i tell him to stop smoking or to resist the craving but once he makes it over that hump he's ok. he does inhale extra deep if we pass someone on the sidewalk with a cigarette though, which i think is so disturbing!

#13 dmarie17

dmarie17
    • 276 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:24 AM

Thanks ladies for all the support... I still haven't touched a cigarette... however, I am guilty of inhaling my workmate's clothing after they've come in from a smoke break. This is one of the toughest things I've had to do and it really helps to have all of your support! Hugs to all!! :)

#14 jajajaja

jajajaja
      • VIP Member
      • 9,794 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:05 AM

I'm not a smoker, but good for you. I know how hard it is just to eat right so I can't imagine the temptation when you actually have an addiction. Keep it up and stay strong!
        Happily married since 2008

#15 Dbld78

Dbld78
        • Banned
        • 665 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:39 AM

i quit 2 years ago this april....it was cold turkey....i still dabble from time to time when i'm drinking but i've never been a really addictive person....except for FOOD! so i didn't find it too hard.....but from time to time when i'm stressed out i just crave one.....but i refrain....

you can do it!

#16 beacon1

beacon1
          • 11 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by dmarie17
            Thanks ladies for all the support... I still haven't touched a cigarette... however, I am guilty of inhaling my workmate's clothing after they've come in from a smoke break. This is one of the toughest things I've had to do and it really helps to have all of your support! Hugs to all!! :)

You're right! It is one of the toughest things you'll ever have to do but you just have to remember that the way you feel right now is NOT the way you're always going to feel. The day will come when you don't even think about a cigarette. You will hate it! The smell will make you sick. Whatever you do, don't give into the cravings. If you pick up a cigarette, you will have to start this whole process over from the beginining and believe me thats no fun because now you know what it feels like to be smoke free.

I could go on and on about this so if ever you want to talk about it please instant message me. It took me 4 trys to quit so I know what you're going through.

#17 Jenn3878

Jenn3878
            • 5,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

Congrats on quitting! My FI and I have recently quit cold turkey - well I have and he will smoke a black&mild every now and then. After we get married we want to have kids and we totally do NOT want to smoke anymore especially around them :)

#18 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 10,366 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

First off, congrats, that is great. I have never been a full time smoker, but every once in a while when we are out and drinking, I do have a ciggarette or two, that is a really bad habit, but I can't help it

#19 sunnydaes

sunnydaes
                • 684 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:49 PM

Smoking sucks. try this book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr, its helpful. Its a little irritating, but for some reason it really helps.

#20 angitalia23

angitalia23
                  • 1,029 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by dmarie17
                    I quit smoking on January 1st because Illinois passed a 'no smoking in bars' ban so I figured it would be easy to quit... I only smoke when I drink... Well, apparently its not so easy! I also smoked when I had a stressful day at work or when I'm hungry or when I'm bored... Moral of the story: I'm totally feigning for a smoke... a drag... a person walking by that smokes so i can inhale his glorious scent ... aaaahhhh..... This sucks! Any new quiters out there with some advice? My FI also quit but has smoked a few since the Jan 1... but I've been strong and haven't had as much as a puff... oooh i want a puff!! mmm...
                    I give you alot of credit. Im the type of smoker you are...bad day, whenever I have a cocktail in hand, etc. Ive been trying to kick the annoying habit but my FI also smokes so if im stressed out its just easy to grab one. I suppose I dont have advice but I do want to congratulate you on taking the step to quit and your overall effort. For sure its not going to be easy but your making your best effort and thats awesome. Best of luck!
                    Anthony & Angela
                    19 June 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users