Photo

Dress Dilemna--Help

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 LadyCheese

LadyCheese
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

Ok ladies...I found the dress I absolutely love (Maggie Sottero) but its $850 (not incl. tax), although $850 is not terribly bad I was really, really hoping to pay less...The place where I found my dress offers me a free bustle and free alterations (since all my girls bought their dresses from them as well). However, I was doing a lil research and found my dress on eBay for $545...brand-new and it seems like reputable seller (from reading the reviews, etc)....The dilemna is that I am petite (so the dress will need to be hemmed) PLUS I am in the process of losing weight so I know that I will need alterations somewhere down the road, which I know can be costly!! So does it even make sense to order it cheaper through eBay and then not be able to find an affordable seamstress or should I just go through the bridal store Ive been dealing with, pay more money but take advantage of the free bustle and alterations?? Help!

#2 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

can you ask them to match the price? do some googling of your maker and style number like i did, i found a lower price and the bridal shop matched it.

#3 lscilley

lscilley
    • 1,466 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

I think you have a pretty good chance of finding a seamstress for less than $300 which is the difference between the 2. I say go for the e-bay dress.

#4 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
      • Moderators
      • 25,218 posts
      • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
      • LocationSeattle

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

I would go with the shop instead of the ebay. What if you need so much done to it that the ebay one ends up costing you more after alterations? Let's see some pics!

#5 Dbld78

Dbld78
      • Banned
      • 665 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

I would go with the dress shop too. Only because I know with my dress they spent so much time measuring me so that the dress would fit me prefectly. I would just trust it more. I would however do what Maura suggested and see where you can find it cheaper and see if they'll match the price! Wish I could've done that!

#6 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 12,193 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

I'm all about saving money but when its your wedding gown, it may be worth it to just buy it from the bridal shop. I only say this because of the alterations. The only way I'd go with the ebay dress was if you know of a reputable seamstress who is experienced with wedding gowns, that you know personally who is going to do the alterations and do them for less than $300.

If you're gonna pay $545 for the dress & then get quotes of up to $300 for alterations, are you really saving a lot of $? And like you said, you're losing weight, etc, let the bridal shop do it & don't worry about the seamstress expense later. Does your dress have a lot of details & beading? Thats also something to think about.

I do like the idea of asking them to match the price.

#7 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 5,752 posts
          • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

i saved $400 simply by asking to have the price matched... just FYI :) it never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is no!

#8 h&a

h&a
          • 321 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

I would go with the shop as well. In the end the costs will probably be somewhat similar, but going with the shop will save you a lot of grief in trying to find a seamstress, etc. BTW which Maggie Sottero dress is it? I just bought one and I love it!

#9 LadyCheese

LadyCheese
            • 1,830 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by mauraw
              i saved $400 simply by asking to have the price matched... just FYI :) it never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is no!
              Thx Maura...I'm going to try that and see.

#10 lscilley

lscilley
              • 1,466 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

I never thought of that idea a price match is a great idea! The other girls made some good points that at least at the bridal store you can get fantastic personal service. Plus the free alterations is a huge bonus! I have changed my answer I say go for the bridal salon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users