Does anyone know how I can do embossed invites myself. I already bought the invites in a do it yourself kit (just to do with a printer) on clearance at Target one day. I am going to add a ribbon to make them cuter, but I would love the lettering to be more than just printed from my little old HP printer. Gartner Studios uPrint Home Page

Its really hard to see on the website, but it has pearl colored embossed swirls around the borders.

I know it involves stamping, then sprinkling embossing powder on, then heating it with a heat gun. I tried it on holiday cards a few years ago. I only tried one and it went ok. I didn't have a lot of extra material to practice on so I opted out of it. I think with a little practice it's not hard. I have friends that do it for holiday cards and it looks great.

That's a great idea to dress up DIY invites. I'm also making mine, I bought a package at staples and its the invite, the response cards, and envelopes for both. They are very plain, white with a silver raised border, but I'm going to print our monogram that I made on them as well, to add a little something. I figured invites are an easy way to save money.

My first job was working at a stamp store in the mall where I grew up so I know a little about this. I would recommend getting a custom made stamp of what you want your invite to say and then use the embossing powder that will rise when you heat it up. I am not sure how big the invites are or what you want them to say but it is fairly simple and could save you on the cost of printing.

Christine I wish I could help but I'm not even sure I know what emboss means. LOL. I am so not a DIY kind of gal. I wish I could just pay someone to do everything for me, but I'm broke. I was in a sorority too and when it came time to do stuff for my little sister I just had someone else do it. I'm still trying to find someone who can do my STDs. Hopefully someone crafty can help you with this. Good luck, and I want to see them when your done.

-Glenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSYGIRL View Post
My first job was working at a stamp store in the mall where I grew up so I know a little about this. I would recommend getting a custom made stamp of what you want your invite to say and then use the embossing powder that will rise when you heat it up. I am not sure how big the invites are or what you want them to say but it is fairly simple and could save you on the cost of printing.

Sarah, where do you order the custom stamp? I feel like I am a pretty crafty person, so I think I can do it, but just need to know where I should go to get started.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABUMBAH View Post
I would call around to some local printers and ask them for quotes on thermography. In my 'hood brides have been able to do it for less than $1/invite.
Can they do thermography on invites I already bought? printers as in Kinko's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon to be Mrs. Hull View Post
Can they do thermography on invites I already bought? printers as in Kinko's?
Yes, that should not be a problem. No, not printers like Kinko's. Professional print shops that do letterhead and business cards can probably do it. I would just grab a phone book and call around. It seems like it would be waaay less work than doing it with a stamp & embossing tool. But that's JMO. I'm lazy like that wink.gif