#1 Christine

Christine
  • VIP Member
  • 21,514 posts
  • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
  • Wedding Location:Napa, California
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

Does anyone know how I can do embossed invites myself. I already bought the invites in a do it yourself kit (just to do with a printer) on clearance at Target one day. I am going to add a ribbon to make them cuter, but I would love the lettering to be more than just printed from my little old HP printer. Gartner Studios uPrint Home Page
Its really hard to see on the website, but it has pearl colored embossed swirls around the borders.
Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#2 -Kate-

-Kate-
  • VIP Member
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

I know it involves stamping, then sprinkling embossing powder on, then heating it with a heat gun. I tried it on holiday cards a few years ago. I only tried one and it went ok. I didn't have a lot of extra material to practice on so I opted out of it. I think with a little practice it's not hard. I have friends that do it for holiday cards and it looks great.

#3 *JillD*

*JillD*
    • 5,112 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

That's a great idea to dress up DIY invites. I'm also making mine, I bought a package at staples and its the invite, the response cards, and envelopes for both. They are very plain, white with a silver raised border, but I'm going to print our monogram that I made on them as well, to add a little something. I figured invites are an easy way to save money.

#4 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
      • VIP Member
      • 931 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

I would call around to some local printers and ask them for quotes on thermography. In my 'hood brides have been able to do it for less than $1/invite.

#5 SASSYGIRL

SASSYGIRL
        • 1,188 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:47 PM

My first job was working at a stamp store in the mall where I grew up so I know a little about this. I would recommend getting a custom made stamp of what you want your invite to say and then use the embossing powder that will rise when you heat it up. I am not sure how big the invites are or what you want them to say but it is fairly simple and could save you on the cost of printing.
          Sarah's little girl-Isabella Nicole-10/31/08
          http://i83.photobuck....sabella034.jpg

#6 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
          • 5,248 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:49 PM

Christine I wish I could help but I'm not even sure I know what emboss means. LOL. I am so not a DIY kind of gal. I wish I could just pay someone to do everything for me, but I'm broke. I was in a sorority too and when it came time to do stuff for my little sister I just had someone else do it. I'm still trying to find someone who can do my STDs. Hopefully someone crafty can help you with this. Good luck, and I want to see them when your done.

-Glenda

#7 Christine

Christine
            • VIP Member
            • 21,514 posts
            • LocationReno, NV

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:11 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by SASSYGIRL
            My first job was working at a stamp store in the mall where I grew up so I know a little about this. I would recommend getting a custom made stamp of what you want your invite to say and then use the embossing powder that will rise when you heat it up. I am not sure how big the invites are or what you want them to say but it is fairly simple and could save you on the cost of printing.

Sarah, where do you order the custom stamp? I feel like I am a pretty crafty person, so I think I can do it, but just need to know where I should go to get started.
            Thanks
            Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#8 Christine

Christine
            • VIP Member
            • 21,514 posts
            • LocationReno, NV

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by NABUMBAH
            I would call around to some local printers and ask them for quotes on thermography. In my 'hood brides have been able to do it for less than $1/invite.
            Can they do thermography on invites I already bought? printers as in Kinko's?

#9 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
            • VIP Member
            • 931 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Soon to be Mrs. Hull
              Can they do thermography on invites I already bought? printers as in Kinko's?
              Yes, that should not be a problem. No, not printers like Kinko's. Professional print shops that do letterhead and business cards can probably do it. I would just grab a phone book and call around. It seems like it would be waaay less work than doing it with a stamp & embossing tool. But that's JMO. I'm lazy like that

#10 Christine

Christine
              • VIP Member
              • 21,514 posts
              • LocationReno, NV

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:56 PM

okay great thanks, I will look around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users