Sign in to follow this  
*JillD*

Debit/bank cards that earn miles?

I try to avoid additional credit cards as much as possible, but I'd still like to be able to earn miles for our trips.

Does anyone have a debit/bank card that earns miles? Which bank do you use? And is it worth it in your opinion?

I noticed my sisters bank of america card earns miles

I have citizens bank and don't really like them anyway, so any reason to switch is fine with me.

The reason I ask if you think the plan is worth it is because with our citizens card you earn points based on your credit purchases, well we had almost enough for a free companion airline ticket and then they changed the terms, now all you get for that many points is a $50 credit towards a flight, that's such a ripoff!

So, anyone have one?

I think Citibank has an awesome deal if you fly on American. You get the first year free (then you can cancel and get a different card if you don't want to pay the fee) and after your first purchase you get a large bonus, like 20,000 miles. We pay off our bill every month and rack up the points. You can get a flight for as little as 25,000 miles. They also have short hops specials occasionally. We've used our miles to fly to the Virgin Islands, Nicaragua, Puerta Vallarta and Cancun.

Get an account with Citibank for Aadvantage miles, I think you get 2 miles for every dollar that you spend. So it's not like their regular credit card, but it sill ads up.

I was just reading about the citibank one, there are actually 2 levels, one has an annual fee of $25, but if you do the one with the fee of $65, you get 1 mile for every dollar, instead of the 1 mile for every $2.

Hmmm, I was just searching the internet and there are actually a lot of airlines that have debit cards with different banks (who knew!) makes me really wonder why I'm still with sucky citizens.

I guess I should think about which airlines I'm most likely to fly on.

I posted a deal for that citi bank card on the thread about american airline miles. If you go through that link there is no fee the first year. After teh first year just downgrade to brinze & never pay a fee. You will get 25,000 after spending $750 in 3 months. That's enough for a flight.

I like my citi diamond card. There are probably deals right now to get $100 for signing up for one. No fees & I earn points that are equivalent to 5% on gas/groceries and 1% on all else. You can use the points to book trips through expedia so you aren't stuck with one airline.

If I wanted to book a flight home it would take about 23,000 points. 23,000 could also get $230 in giftcards & the flight would cost me $230 if I booked it myself.

I always use slickdeals.net to look up good credit card deals. I buy everything with my card & pay it off every month to just rack up cash back. It adds up fast when you get 5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I posted a deal for that citi bank card on the thread about american airline miles. If you go through that link there is no fee the first year. After teh first year just downgrade to brinze & never pay a fee. You will get 25,000 after spending $750 in 3 months. That's enough for a flight.

I like my citi diamond card. There are probably deals right now to get $100 for signing up for one. No fees & I earn points that are equivalent to 5% on gas/groceries and 1% on all else. You can use the points to book trips through expedia so you aren't stuck with one airline.

If I wanted to book a flight home it would take about 23,000 points. 23,000 could also get $230 in giftcards & the flight would cost me $230 if I booked it myself.

I always use slickdeals.net to look up good credit card deals. I buy everything with my card & pay it off every month to just rack up cash back. It adds up fast when you get 5%.
Thanks Morgan! I did see this one, but was trying to get away from credit cards. I use my debit card to much I thought that it would be a great way to earn miles, without racking up more debt, lol!

I like the citi debit card, the only problem is there are no branches close to me so I'd have to do everything through direct deposit, which is fine most of the time, but sometimes I do have checks to deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly76 View Post
Thanks Morgan! I did see this one, but was trying to get away from credit cards. I use my debit card to much I thought that it would be a great way to earn miles, without racking up more debt, lol!

I like the citi debit card, the only problem is there are no branches close to me so I'd have to do everything through direct deposit, which is fine most of the time, but sometimes I do have checks to deposit.
sorry, I didn't catch that part. I don't know about debit cards. I don't use mine much.

my checking is with chase, and i upgraded my debit card to earn miles on united because we usually fly united to mexico city. its wonderful, i earn lots of miles every month, and in another 2 months, i will have enough to book my ticket for christmas! its so easy, all you do is pay the $65 annual fee and then they do the rest of the work for you.