Photo

Steel Drum Band Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sharonie

Sharonie
  • 557 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

These questions are for the past brides that got married in Jamaica and hired a steel drum band -

1. What kind of music do they play? Is it mainly Reggae music or mix?
    2. Did you hire them for ceremony or reception or both?

I have read the mentioning of steel drum band in some the reviews and am thinking about hiring one too but want to see if it will be worthwhile. Thanks!

#2 jmhein

jmhein
    • 665 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

I think the steel drum band can play whatever you ask them to! I did notice they tend to favour Bob Marley tunes but they sound so cool on the steel drums! I am not sure what songs they played while my guests were waiting for the ceremony to begin but the guests loved them!
      While I walked down the aisle they played "the Wedding March".
      I just hired them for the ceremony, I dont think you would need to for the reception as people will be busy eating and doing speeches...
      ------------------------------------------------MARRIED at the Riu Ocho Rios - Feb 12, 2008 - Best day of our lives!Honeymooned at Sandals Whitehouse European Village - Feb 16-23

My Riu Ocho Rios Wedding Review with Pics

#3 christenew

christenew
      • 325 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Any idea if you could give them sheet music to play? Is there anyway someone could ask when they are down there? I wanted to walk down the isle to "all my life" by kci and jojo, but I thought it might sound silly on an ipod

#4 Jerzzygirl

Jerzzygirl
        • 203 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

I hired them just for the ceremony and cocktail hour. I walked down the aisle to Is this love, by Bob marley. I told Chandlyn at our meeting that I wanted that song and she was so happy...lol

#5 PrecisePlans

PrecisePlans
          • 802 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

I asked chandlyn about this and she said that she could try to arrange a meeting with the band when we first arrive. I'm bringing the music for them to listen to and hope that they know the song.

#6 Jenn

Jenn
            • 1,557 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

I had a steel band for my welcome party the first night and a reggae band for my reception. Both were fantastic and my guests loved it! They mostly played Bob Marley stuff, but it really didn't matter what they played, because it sounded AWESOME! I think you would have to talk to the band to see if they could play something specific :)

#7 christenew

christenew
              • 325 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:43 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. If I cant get the song it is no big deal, but I will at least try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users