Help pick my brother's honeymoon location- something in the US & affordable

rodent

UPDATE they are going to Vail, CO

My brother is getting married this August (two months after my wedding). So they will have recently returned from Mexico. They also want to avoid the carribean in August due to hurricane season.

They will be flying out of Houston, TX. Someone suggested lake Tahoe to them. He wasn't specific about what he was looking for. Just something nice & affordable. It has already been an expensive year (several trips, my wedding, their wedding and possibly buying a house).

California is off the list because they were there recently. North Carolina is off the list because if they were in my state I'd want to go see them, but visiting your brother on his honeymoon isn't really right. Also, it's hot here in August.

A place that has nice weather in August would be good.

Suggestions for locations? Places to stay? Things to do?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA Jennifer View Post
While not necessarily cheap Mackinaw Island in Michigan is really nice, relaxed and beautiful!

Mackinac (Mackinaw) Island Tourist Information - accommodations, rates, events
That does look beautiful & the weather would be great. I do think he needs to stay affordable though. It has been a really expensive year & my brother (like myself) doesn't like spending money.

Something near a major airport where flights would be quick & cheap would be great.

It's hard as we don't have any details to go on but here's a few other suggestions-

Saratoga Springs, New York- Saratoga is a neat little town (Rachel Ray is from there!) and really livens up during August as it's horse race season. Can fly into ALB, drive up the Northway ( about 35 minutes). I'd stay outside of Saratoga Springs though as to stay in the twon will be expensive. If he's a history buff there are alot of Battlefiels and Ft. Ticonderoga is a day trip along Lake George. This is located in the foothills of the Adirondacks.

Traverse City, Michigan- can be affordable and take a day trip to Mackenaw island. Beautiful lake frontage, lots of little towns along the coast to explore and also several vinyards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA Jennifer View Post
It's hard as we don't have any details to go on but here's a few other suggestions-

Saratoga Springs, New York- Saratoga is a neat little town (Rachel Ray is from there!) and really livens up during August as it's horse race season. Can fly into ALB, drive up the Northway ( about 35 minutes). I'd stay outside of Saratoga Springs though as to stay in the twon will be expensive. If he's a history buff there are alot of Battlefiels and Ft. Ticonderoga is a day trip along Lake George. This is located in the foothills of the Adirondacks.

Traverse City, Michigan- can be affordable and take a day trip to Mackenaw island. Beautiful lake frontage, lots of little towns along the coast to explore and also several vinyards.
These places do sound really nice. If he is interested in these options, I'll get him in touch with you. I'm going to suggest he work with a TA now that I have learned how great they are.

Sorry I don't have more specifics. I think it's because he doesn't have a clear idea what he wants. Just a place where they can have a nice, romantic time without spending too much. And August rules out some places due to hot weather. They will need to escape the Texas heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodria View Post
Alabama I've heard is nice.
my friend was married at alabama's gulf shore. it was really nice. She was going to destin & someone suggest that place instead. She loved it so much she got married there the next year.

Although, would it be hot in august? Actually I can ask her. her wedding was last August. Oh, wait. They were almost hit by a hurricane during her wedding. Maybe they should stay off the gulf coast.