Help pick my brother's honeymoon location- something in the US & affordable

rodent

How about New Orleans?

It's pretty close, very inexpensive, and it's a beautiful city to visit. I lived there for a few years in graduate school, and now I'm about an hour away and I go back as often as I can! They have first class hotels, some of the best food in the country, and all kinds of things to see and do. And, don't believe the news...New Orleans is just as safe for tourists as anywhere else in the country.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

August is great in Tahoe, although its really warm in Reno at that time of year, but at that point the lake is almost swimmable (its a very cold alpine lake).

If they are going in early August, Hot August Nights is in town and things are a little crazy and can be expensive since its a big event. Its a ton of fun if they are at all interested in old cars.

What about Montana or Wyoming I bet you they could find some great little cabin type resorts that would be beautiful.

We were also looking in the US for honeymoon spots for a while and there are so really pretty bed and breakfast locations all up and down the east coast, Savannah or anywhere in coastal South Carolina would be pretty (but still far enough away that you won't feel like you want to visit).

Hmm let me think what else, I also agree with the others about Maine or other parts of New England would be great at that time of year.

Oh and about 40 minutes west of the DC area we have a great wine country in Virginia and some beautiful areas around VA, that's always an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayG View Post
How about New Orleans?
It's pretty close, very inexpensive, and it's a beautiful city to visit. I lived there for a few years in graduate school, and now I'm about an hour away and I go back as often as I can! They have first class hotels, some of the best food in the country, and all kinds of things to see and do. And, don't believe the news...New Orleans is just as safe for tourists as anywhere else in the country.
I loved the new orleans zoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
August is great in Tahoe, although its really warm in Reno at that time of year, but at that point the lake is almost swimmable (its a very cold alpine lake).
If they are going in early August, Hot August Nights is in town and things are a little crazy and can be expensive since its a big event. Its a ton of fun if they are at all interested in old cars.
What about Montana or Wyoming I bet you they could find some great little cabin type resorts that would be beautiful.
We were also looking in the US for honeymoon spots for a while and there are so really pretty bed and breakfast locations all up and down the east coast, Savannah or anywhere in coastal South Carolina would be pretty (but still far enough away that you won't feel like you want to visit).
Hmm let me think what else, I also agree with the others about Maine or other parts of New England would be great at that time of year.
Oh and about 40 minutes west of the DC area we have a great wine country in Virginia and some beautiful areas around VA, that's always an option.
it will be after aug 16th. I've really wanted to visit montana or wyoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy106 View Post
Vail, Colorado...go white water rafting...woohoo!!

I also want to go here. Maybe I'll be tagging along after all :) I mean, he'll be at my honeymoon.

Breckenridge/Vail or Steamboat Springs Colorado if they like scenic hiking, white water rafting, there's all kinds of bike trails and there's an alpine slide in steamboat-we went there for our engagement trip. it can be a lot cheaper in summer since they make most of their money during ski season. there's hot springs too which are pretty cool. Rocky Mountain National Park would be good too, Estes Park or Grand Lake would be great places to stay if they were interested in something like that.

I was going to suggest New Orleans too because it may be the cheapest from TX and they would have a ball! It can be hot and hurricane season though.

Since CA is ruled out (boo...lol) what about somewhere in Florida? It's also close so I'm thinking it's cheaper than some states, and there is tons to do there with beautiful beaches so I hear.

When I'm trying to find where to go, I go to Ticketmaster.com and search cities I'm considering for the time frame to see what music/theater/sports events are at a given place. I once went to Indiana strictly for a concert but I had fun in the process...haha

How about a cabin in the Smoky mountains of Tennesee- there are some great cabins with jacuzzi's on the deck over looking the mountains. The bacins can be as simple or lush as they'd like and the mountains are just amazing!

You can go hiking, have a picnic by a waterfall, horseback riding and a slew of other activities!

Any thoughts on what they are looking for? Are they beach people, wine people, outdoor activities?

If they like wine, there are some great bed and breakfasts in Virginia around Charlottesville that are really romantic and very close to the wineries (10 within an hour's drive). Sam and I love going down there, and in August the weather would be beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Any thoughts on what they are looking for? Are they beach people, wine people, outdoor activities?

If they like wine, there are some great bed and breakfasts in Virginia around Charlottesville that are really romantic and very close to the wineries (10 within an hour's drive). Sam and I love going down there, and in August the weather would be beautiful!

Yes, they like beaches & wine. They went to california wine country in december. When I travel I like outdoors & hiking. My brother has bad allergies so the trees make him sick. So beaches & lakes are probably the best.

thanks for all the ideas. I'll pass it on to him.