What do you want to know from us Married Gals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riubride View Post
Can I ask a question?
For all the guests that were unable to attend did you send them anything after the wedding? Picture? Announcement card? Anything?
We just sent a photo in our Christmas cards. The timing for that worked out well, and it could for you too?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TammyM - we had a trio - loved them. Maye got them for $300. However, if you're looking for best bang for the buck, I would go with Janet's guitar player unless you want them to play through dinner, then you'll want a bit more to work with. Your event is intimate and a guitar player or trio would fit nicely with the theme.

Nicole - we also did the polaroid guestbook and I highly recommend it. I got the camera, film (5 packs), and polaroid guest book for $62, $46, and $51 respectively (includes shipping). You only need one camera, but put someone in charge of getting everyone's picture (my 21 year old cousin volunteered and she got everyone). Bring colorful sharpies.

Riu Bride - we took a group shot at the wedding. We took that shot and printed our individualized thank you (that we signed) on each and made 5x7 pictures. Those cost $5 each (envelop and picture). We took a different picture of just the two of us and did a 4x8 photo greeting card on Snapfish and sent those out as announcements to the friends and family who didn't attend and to all of our parents friends and miscellaneous associates. Given the timing of our wedding (November) we did Season's Greetings cards.

Christine - We had little tradition and I don't feel that we needed any. Also, I really don't think I even needed a bridal bouquet. That's not a high ticket item nor is it a time-consuming organizational thing, so I would say skip the programs and menus. You don't need a program telling people who your wedding party is because everyone will be hanging out together. And the food is what it is. Save yourself the hassle of designing, writing copy, printing and shipping.

Glenda - Ricardo's play list was EXTENSIVE. He didn't play the things I x'd out and he did read the crowd and played more of what people were responding to (which was...70s music!)

Shannon - I would totally do the cocktail hour. It's worth it. We had a mariachi which was tons of fun and everyone took pictures in front of them (with their own cameras).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATASHA View Post
TammyM - we had a trio - loved them. Maye got them for $300. However, if you're looking for best bang for the buck, I would go with Janet's guitar player unless you want them to play through dinner, then you'll want a bit more to work with. Your event is intimate and a guitar player or trio would fit nicely with the theme.

Nicole - we also did the polaroid guestbook and I highly recommend it. I got the camera, film (5 packs), and polaroid guest book for $62, $46, and $51 respectively (includes shipping). You only need one camera, but put someone in charge of getting everyone's picture (my 21 year old cousin volunteered and she got everyone). Bring colorful sharpies.

Riu Bride - we took a group shot at the wedding. We took that shot and printed our individualized thank you (that we signed) on each and made 5x7 pictures. Those cost $5 each (envelop and picture). We took a different picture of just the two of us and did a 4x8 photo greeting card on Snapfish and sent those out as announcements to the friends and family who didn't attend and to all of our parents friends and miscellaneous associates. Given the timing of our wedding (November) we did Season's Greetings cards.

Christine - We had little tradition and I don't feel that we needed any. Also, I really don't think I even needed a bridal bouquet. That's not a high ticket item nor is it a time-consuming organizational thing, so I would say skip the programs and menus. You don't need a program telling people who your wedding party is because everyone will be hanging out together. And the food is what it is. Save yourself the hassle of designing, writing copy, printing and shipping.

Glenda - Ricardo's play list was EXTENSIVE. He didn't play the things I x'd out and he did read the crowd and played more of what people were responding to (which was...70s music!)

Shannon - I would totally do the cocktail hour. It's worth it. We had a mariachi which was tons of fun and everyone took pictures in front of them (with their own cameras).

I love the group shot thank you card idea. Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
Great thread guys and really helpful!
OK my question is, do any of you wish (afterwards) you had done something at your wedding that you didn't? For monetary reasons or other?
thanks -lou
I don't - ours was pretty comprehensive (firedancers, cuban salsa teachers, and fireworks). However, I wasn't going to have the Sunday brunch and I'm really glad we did.

Oh - and I would have paid more to get one big bus to take everyone to our one off-site dinner. We did separate vans and it was a mess. However - that means that anyone with kids who wants to leave early has to take a cab home.

I'll answer all questions in one thread. I don't know how to do the "fancy" quick reply with all threads, so I'll cut and paste...

Kate:

In the end, was it all worth it? Was it worth leaving some people out to have a destination wedding? Do you ever wish you had a "traditional" wedding?

It was ABSOLUTELY worth it! Marc and I loved the way our wedding turned out and are so happy we didn't have a traditional wedding. We both wanted to get married on the beach with a small group. I hate to say it but, having a DW really cut back on the "wedding free-loaders". We only wanted people there that were special to us. And the ones that felt the same about us did whatever it took to go. Sure there were a few that couldn't make it, but for the most part the courtesy invites (i.e. coworkers, etc.) didn't feel they neede to show up to be polite. There were none of those politics and we didn't want them!!

Also, the wedding was such a blast, becasue by the end of the weekend, all of Marc's family and friends knew my family and friend, so the wedding was that much more fun!

Lastly, when everyone is on vacation in beautiful Mexico (or wherever you destination is), they are on vacation and really nothing can get them down. SO if anything does go wrong, nobody will notice, becasue they are on vacation and who cares??

TammyM:

I'm trying to decide what kind of music to play for the ceremony, best dollar for the music.. What would you recommend and what price were you quoted.

Flute and guitar player (I got a quote from Maye of 300.00 an hour)

Marichi band

Trio band

IPOD, renting a speaker set up.

I really liked our set up. We had the Trio Gutarists for pre-ceremony, Ceremony & cocktail hour and DJ Ricardo for the reception. I enjoyed having a DJ. I liked having the live interaction and people could make requests (as long as it was cleared weith the bride and groom). There was a situation where we wanted to put on a song that was not on our list (as an inside joke to someone). It was nice to be able to go to the DJ and let him know, then get back to the party and know it would get played. I liked the flexibility and spontanaity of a live DJ vs an Ipod. Just my opinion. If you want to cut back, I would do the IPOD for the ceremony & cocktail hour and hire DJ Ricardo for the reception.

Christine:

I want to know what is the one thing you did not have (tradition wise) you wish you would have and what is the one thing you feel you didn't really need after all (like programs, menus, favors, etc)

The one thing I wish I had more tradition-wise were more meaningful vows. We just wanted to get through it and on to the reception, so we just chose the preprinted traditional vows. Maye's husband was the officiant, but it seemed like our ceremony was the first time he even looked over what he was about to read and was stumbling over his words, and there would be long pauses (like he lost his place on the page). I think the vows could have felt more meaningful had we written the ceremony ourselves like Natasha did, and maybe had someone close to us read act as our officiant.

I'm sorry, I really can't think of anything I had that I didn't need afterall?? Maybe the wedding cake??

Glenda:

For those of you that had DJs at the reception: Did the DJ have up to date music or was it very limited in selection? I have fears of hearing "cotton eye joe" or "macarena" at my wedding.

My DJ had really up to date music and equipment! He had everything. We provided him with a song list prior, then met with him the day before to go over everything. I know some DJ's probably do play crap. That is why you must give him a song list and a DO NOT PLAY list! Some people made requests for songs on my DNP list and he refused. I used DJ Ricardo. Here is a picture of his equipment.

a>

Shannon:

Do most people have a cocktail hour or do we just skip it and start the reception?

We had a cocktail hour. I think it is important because it gives people something to do while you take pictures.

Riubride:

For all the guests that were unable to attend did you send them anything after the wedding? Picture? Announcement card? Anything?

I sent everyone my wedding slideshow. We also did a Wedding Thank You Card with this picture:

Click the image to open in full size.

lou:

my question is, do any of you wish (afterwards) you had done something at your wedding that you didn't? For monetary reasons or other?

Yes! I wish I hadn't skimped on my bouquet and videographer!! I wish I had a longer video and more time with Juan Carlos (our photographer). When the day is over, all you have are those memories...they will become all you have left to bring you back to the moment!