ugh, gosh darn printers

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 boscobel

boscobel
  • VIP Member
  • 24,213 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

So Matt's friends fiance used to work at a printing company, she got me a really great deal to print, cut, perforate and staple my boarding passes. After having them print out a sample and seeing that the colors were wrong, I then sent them two more sample files to see which color was right. I saw the samples yesterday and picked one. They printed the other. What in the hizzy. For one thing, I feel bad bitching cuz I got such a great deal. For another thing, one blue pretty much matches another blue. For now, I am going to go home tonight and make a sample one with the paper for the envelopes and mailing envelopes that I bought to see if it could work. But I am just annoyed, cuz if it doesn't look right, can I even complain, since they charged me like 1/6 of what Kinko's quoted me?

#2 Jenn

Jenn
    • 1,557 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

That sucks Carly! I might casually mention it to the friend, and say that you feel bad saying anything since they did give you a great price. Sort of leave it casual and see what the response is. They may want to make it right :)

#3 foxytv

foxytv
      • VIP Member
      • 7,740 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:11 PM

You can still complain, Carly.

Especially since you told them which one to print and they printed the wrong one.

Personally, I have not cared one bit if our colors match or whatever. Heck the orange paper and envelopes for our invites was pretty much neon ... when our 'accent colors' are said to aqua and coral ... so I am just ho-hum about it ... but if it bothers you, totally say something, sister!

I'm sure they would rather you say it to them than complain to others or not be happy -- regardless of the price they offered.

#4 boscobel

boscobel
        • VIP Member
        • 24,213 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

I am going to see how it looks tonight. The one color was going to match perfectly to the metallic envelopes I bought. But I wonder how much that matters. I mean, just about any blue matches any other blue. And I have been pretty lax (sp?) about having the things be matchy-matchy as well. It's just damn frustrating.

#5 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 5,752 posts
          • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:19 PM

i know what youre saying carly and im not saying youre wrong in wanting to complain -- which i think you should if it really bugs you. BUT... i showed my good friend my STD prototype today and i was talking to her about envelope colors because im going back and forth with whether i should use navy envelopes or cream envelopes that match the cream paper the stds are printed on with navy ink. my friend pointed out that while the blue ones look nice too, if i did the cream envelopes, i can run my envelopes through the printer for each persons address so the fonts match the STD, which i never really thought about before, so i am going to go buy new cream envelopes tonight haha. her main point was that i should do what's easier --- nobody else but me is going to care about the envelope, and almost everybody will just throw it away anyway, so i shouldnt stress about it. i think shes right!

#6 boscobel

boscobel
          • VIP Member
          • 24,213 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

I totally hear you. I think I will leave it as long as it isn't hideous, since I have to get to work getting the darn things together and mailed PRONTO!

#7 Yari

Yari
            • VIP Member
            • 10,928 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

Oh no that stinks!

A printer friend printed my STD's for free and is now working on my invites for free. I don't feel right about comlaining at all, only cause they are free.

Now,if I was paying cost, I would totally say something.

#8 Jenn3878

Jenn3878
              • 5,681 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

Hope it turns out ok for you. I am so lost on the printing part. When you take them to a place like Kinkos - do you just bring a cd with the word file in it and thats it and it prints out in the color you selected for the text?

#9 boscobel

boscobel
                • VIP Member
                • 24,213 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

I had someone turn mine into a .pdf. I think that is the best way to go about it. If you use a word doc, for some reason, sometimes it appears differently on different computers. Plus if you've used special fonts that aren't on the printing companies computers, it won't print the way you want it to. Luckily I had a friend who helped me in the beginning with the /pdf part and then MelissaH helped me over the weekend when my friend couldn't...

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Jenn3878
                  Hope it turns out ok for you. I am so lost on the printing part. When you take them to a place like Kinkos - do you just bring a cd with the word file in it and thats it and it prints out in the color you selected for the text?

#10 Jenn3878

Jenn3878
                  • 5,681 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by carly
                    I had someone turn mine into a .pdf. I think that is the best way to go about it. If you use a word doc, for some reason, sometimes it appears differently on different computers. Plus if you've used special fonts that aren't on the printing companies computers, it won't print the way you want it to. Luckily I had a friend who helped me in the beginning with the /pdf part and then MelissaH helped me over the weekend when my friend couldn't...
                    Oh ok, that makes sense. Thank you!! Do you remember what Kinkos wanted to charge? Did you supply the paper??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users