• Please log in to reply
1908 replies to this topic

#451 Duchess

Duchess
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andi
    haha...FI is actually pretty good about it...he trys to not take one side or the other and honestly I try to keep him out of the middle of it all. He this his mommy is crazy just like I do though...although I will admit...he does need to totally cut the umbilical cord
    I just have to get this off of my chest- so I came over to visit my dad and my step-mom tells me (after he's gone to sleep) that he may be getting laid off from his job of 28 YEARS, which is why he has not given me a direct answer about what they will contribute to the wedding, and now I feel guilty for having a DW! I don't think that money's so bad that they wouldn't come, and I don't mind if they cannot help- but their suggestion is that we have it at home!! I don't see how putting ourselves in debt for the kind of wedding that we don't even want is a solution...
    Whether they contribute or not, your wedding will cost a fortune at home...plus it isn't what you want. The DW is the right thing if that is what you have been dreaming of. I hope everything works out for your dad!

#452 DWandMJ

DWandMJ
    • 274 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

I too have a confession....

Absolutely no one from FI's family will be attending our wedding... the reason given is money. Which is perfectly reasonable, but from his parents its a complete lie! In the first place, they make more than we do and from what I've been told, FIs step dad has over a million frequent flyer miles. We showed them alternative hotels to stay at running $90/night and suggested only staying three days as opposed to seven. FI so desperately wanted to accomodate them, and heavily considered taking up their suggestion that we just get married at one of the cheap chapels in Reno.

Luckily he dropped the idea and now he's just irritated because he's come to the conclusion that they're actually just boycotting the event. Not the marriage, the event. God forbid they can shell out thousands of dollars to help his other two siblings because they can't be responsible adults and take care of themselves/maintain a consistant job/ entirely get any kind of priorities in order / stay off welfare. But they can't "afford" to attend their oldest son's wedding for less than $500? Give me a f*cking break!

Ok, that was more of a rant... but I had to get it off my chest. So thank you!

#453 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 8,921 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Marie, their loss.
        I wonder if you could play their little game and say "Oh, we decided that we really would like you to be a part of our special day so we are taking out a loan to get you 2 there..." It would be interesting to see how they'd respond. I think they SHOULD feel really guilty.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by DWandMJ
        I too have a confession....

Absolutely no one from FI's family will be attending our wedding... the reason given is money. Which is perfectly reasonable, but from his parents its a complete lie! In the first place, they make more than we do and from what I've been told, FIs step dad has over a million frequent flyer miles. We showed them alternative hotels to stay at running $90/night and suggested only staying three days as opposed to seven. FI so desperately wanted to accomodate them, and heavily considered taking up their suggestion that we just get married at one of the cheap chapels in Reno.

Luckily he dropped the idea and now he's just irritated because he's come to the conclusion that they're actually just boycotting the event. Not the marriage, the event. God forbid they can shell out thousands of dollars to help his other two siblings because they can't be responsible adults and take care of themselves/maintain a consistant job/ entirely get any kind of priorities in order / stay off welfare. But they can't "afford" to attend their oldest son's wedding for less than $500? Give me a f*cking break!

Ok, that was more of a rant... but I had to get it off my chest. So thank you!

#454 Erin6341

Erin6341
        • 298 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

I apologize in advance to all those that likes Valentine's Day, but I confess that I can't stand Valentine's Day and I think it's a ridiculous "holiday".

#455 Kat81

Kat81
          • VIP Member
          • 7,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

I hate Valentines Day too. I always have....

#456 YaelM

YaelM

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 5,369 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

Its pretty pointless - FI and I have a tradition of ordering Chinese food and getting ben and jerry's ice cream :)

#457 Sloan

Sloan
              • 1,279 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

Agree! Valentine's is dumb. We boycott it.

#458 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 9,504 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

I've never been a big fan either. DH does always buy me flowers though which I secretly love. I like the getting flower part of it but hate the 4 times normal cost of it, so I told him this year he needs to buy me flowers on Monday when they are all on sale.

#459 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 8,569 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

I am skiing while FI is working he crappy hourly job and we are making nice dinner on Sunday in protest! :)

#460 BachataBride

BachataBride
                    • Banned
                    • 9,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

Well...I like Vday...not the "all out" type of stuff. Just a nice card & flowers is all I want!! Not even roses, but a nice colorful bouquet from the grocery store for $20!! I am excited to have just bought my first "husband" card!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users