Confessions

ErinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyN View Post
#3: I am absolutely terrified to start rotations. Despite my overwhelming excitement to be out of the classroom... I'm not sure if I'm quite ready. I sometimes feel like I have learned nothing and worry I am going to fail in this profession.
Becky, I'm a Physician Assistant, and our entire 2nd year of school was rotations, after a year of classroom stuff. I was terrified to start my rotations as well, but it was tons easier than I thought. If all else fails, just fall back on the "I'm just a student" excuse. No one expects you to know everything, and sometimes they expect you to know nothing and are surprised with anything you might have retained. Your rotations are designed to give you real-life scenarios under direct supervision so that first you can learn stuff in a new way to pass boards and second so you have training to fall back on when you're on your own. Good luck! You can make it!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Becky, I'm a Physician Assistant, and our entire 2nd year of school was rotations, after a year of classroom stuff. I was terrified to start my rotations as well, but it was tons easier than I thought. If all else fails, just fall back on the "I'm just a student" excuse. No one expects you to know everything, and sometimes they expect you to know nothing and are surprised with anything you might have retained. Your rotations are designed to give you real-life scenarios under direct supervision so that first you can learn stuff in a new way to pass boards and second so you have training to fall back on when you're on your own. Good luck! You can make it!
Tanks : ) I keep trying to tell myself that... so it is great to hear from someone else. I love the "I'm just a student excuse" ; ) I just got in contact with my first preceptor and she seems awesome - so that has provided a major sense of relief.

Quote:
My confession for the day: I am scared to death to finish school. We start rotations this May and graduate the May after. Don't get me wrong I am so excited to finish school... but the reality of real world is begining to freak me out. I sometimes feel like I havne't learned anything and am going to fail miserably. We just got our assignments for the next year and it made me almost sick to my stomach.
I just want to chime in and say I'm also graduating next May from pharmacy school and there is no way I'm ready. I can't even answer simple questions, how can I respond to doctors during rounds?? Right now, my most used saying - "I'm just a student, let me go ask the pharmacist."

As an added bonus, I have a final in 2 hours and I've barely studied. I have no inclination to study and as you can see, I've been hanging around here instead.

AHHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefnicole View Post
I just want to chime in and say I'm also graduating next May from pharmacy school and there is no way I'm ready. I can't even answer simple questions, how can I respond to doctors during rounds?? Right now, my most used saying - "I'm just a student, let me go ask the pharmacist."

As an added bonus, I have a final in 2 hours and I've barely studied. I have no inclination to study and as you can see, I've been hanging around here instead.

AHHH!
Exciting.. I graduate next May as well. What school are you in? During my internship I have defintely used the, "let me go check with the pharmacist." I get so paranoid that I am going to give the wrong advice, that even when I KNOW the answer I become so unsure of myself I have to ask. I think that is my biggest issue - getting over my own fear and having faith in myself. My first rotation should be relatively easy and stress-free which will be a nice start. My second is with one of my professors and I secretly hope he really pushes me past my comfort zone so that I can gain teh confidence I need.

Good luck on your final! I just finished my law final an hour ago. 90 question mutliple choice. exam.. with A, A and B, B and C, A and C, or A B and C. Ahhh!!! Made my head want to explode. Now I just have nutrition tomorrow... which I have no motivation to study for... but then no more school exams for me! (not counting the board/MPJE). : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvt View Post
I confess that recently I have taken to saying hurtful things to FI when we fight. The fights have gotten ugly in the past 3 monts. Starts off as somehting VERY stupid, FI gets this attitude i hate, and then i spit out really mean things. We never fought like this before. Not sure what exactly it is, but i hope that it was the move, the new house, and the job stress, and that things will go back to normal.

I also confess that i want to see someone about this. i'm freaked out that all of our fights will turn out like this and we won't make it.
Tara- I did this too. I said and did awful things and I was so disappointed in myself. I hate to admit this but during a fight I was so pissed I tore a towel rack off the wall by angerly hanging a towel up. It was so ridiculous and totally not me.

I had to take a moment to really put myself in check. I didn't want to act that way and I certainly didn't want my DH to think that's the way I was. We all have moments were we are human and make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up to much, but just realize what you have been doing and make efforts to change. That's all you can do! :)

smile03.gif It gets better and the honeymoon bliss certianly brightens things up!

Quote:
Exciting.. I graduate next May as well. What school are you in? During my internship I have defintely used the, "let me go check with the pharmacist." I get so paranoid that I am going to give the wrong advice, that even when I KNOW the answer I become so unsure of myself I have to ask. I think that is my biggest issue - getting over my own fear and having faith in myself. My first rotation should be relatively easy and stress-free which will be a nice start. My second is with one of my professors and I secretly hope he really pushes me past my comfort zone so that I can gain teh confidence I need.

Good luck on your final! I just finished my law final an hour ago. 90 question mutliple choice. exam.. with A, A and B, B and C, A and C, or A B and C. Ahhh!!! Made my head want to explode. Now I just have nutrition tomorrow... which I have no motivation to study for... but then no more school exams for me! (not counting the board/MPJE). : )
I'm at the University of Kansas, you? My first rotation is nuclear pharmacy and I know nothing about it. I'm hoping they go easy on me, since it's the first one. My law exam isn't until friday (only 80 questions). We asked our professor and she said that the MPJE was full of type k questions (A, A & B, A & C, etc..). So, hooray?

My exam today was in biostatistics, what a waste of my time, learning statistics and how to interpret them in articles. Thanks KU!

So, 1 final down, 3 to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefnicole View Post
I'm at the University of Kansas, you? My first rotation is nuclear pharmacy and I know nothing about it. I'm hoping they go easy on me, since it's the first one. My law exam isn't until friday (only 80 questions). We asked our professor and she said that the MPJE was full of type k questions (A, A & B, A & C, etc..). So, hooray?

My exam today was in biostatistics, what a waste of my time, learning statistics and how to interpret them in articles. Thanks KU!

So, 1 final down, 3 to go!
I'm at the University of Minnesota - Duluth campus. My summer rotations got messed up originally... so now its highly focused on community pharmacy. Which is okay with me, since realistically that is probably what I want to do. Originally I had a nuclear pharmacy rotation -but I ended up getting out of it. I think it would be really interesting - but I don't think I could do the whole 3 a.m. thing for 5 weeks. I would be interested in hearing how it goes though! The nuclear pharmacist in town worked part-time at the community pharmacy I interned at and he always talked really highly of it.

And yuck... I hate biostats. We had that last year and agree, total waste of time. This year when we started writing our PharmD papers I realized I learned absoltuely nothing from biostats because I still don't understand all the numbers and what not.

Good luck on law!

MoWife, I'm so sorry. What a bunch of idiots, where else are they going to find someone to put up with those kids.

I confess that I haven't done a full day of work since I joined this site back in April. I just can't seem to concentrate on anything but the wedding. Oh, I also strongly dislike my FI's mother. She is nuttier than a Snickers bar and her purpose in life is to make me look bad in front on the FI.

Mo, I'm so sorry! I can't believe the administration would act like that! Is it a small district? I have a friend who is a teacher that was badly bitten by her student and she got a week off (paid) for medical testing and evaluation and the student was expelled. It sounds like a similar situation with the behavior problems! Maybe this is someone's way of helping you in your career decisions. And as far the the Masters goes, education never hurt anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonPalacePookie View Post
Oh, I also strongly dislike my FI's mother. She is nuttier than a Snickers bar and her purpose in life is to make me look bad in front on the FI.
You could substitute Stepmom and Dad in that sentence and I can totally relate!

I confess I really just want my wedding to be over. So many things have gone wrong all along the way that I'm just exhasted. I had this dream in my head of what it would be, what I would look like, who would be there, and thus far nothing is turning out as I planned. Not to mention my work productivity has decreased about 10,000%!

Quote:
And yuck... I hate biostats. We had that last year and agree, total waste of time. This year when we started writing our PharmD papers I realized I learned absoltuely nothing from biostats because I still don't understand all the numbers and what not.
Hold the phone. PharmD papers? Do you mean summarizing an article (journal club)?

My last hijack...I promise!