What do you think of drive from Cancun to Tulum???

I am teetoring on Dreams Tulum & my only reservation is the travel distance for my guests from the Cancun airport to Dreams Tulum. I've heard its an hour & 15 min. up to 2hrs drive? For those of you who have done the trip, so you think this is unreasonable to ask our guests to do & should just find a place in Cancun. Or is the drive not that bad & worth it?

Thanks so much for advice in advance!

Laura wacko.gif

Laura, I had the exact same concerns. I actually was ready to dismiss DT b/c of the distance from the airport.

For my site visit, I rented a car and drove myself to DT in 1 hr 20 min. Honestly, I would have liked for it to be a little closer in but once you get there you realize it is all worth it!

If you still have doubts, think about the guests you will be bringing. Is it mostly families? Young adults?

My wedding is mostly family and I know they prefer the serenity, peace and quiet from Tulum as opposed to CanCun. Plus, many of them have already been to CanCun so this way they could visit another place in the Riviera Maya.

If you have guests who plan to go out to clubs at night then this IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU.

Don't worry about the distance...DT is worth it and your guests will understand why you chose this place as soon as they arrive!!

I agree. I was worried about this but it really isn't that bad of a drive. Plus you're so excited that the time flies by (and our driver stopped and we got beer which helped). If you're worried about it you can always get a private transfer which will help ensure its closer to an hour 20 then 2 hours! I totally think its worth it!

My mom complains about everything...if it's not her idea. So, she did complain about the 1h45 ride ! All the rest of my guests did not complain. Yes, it is long but worth it ! I had my 2 kids with me (after being 6 hours in a plane ride) and they were ust so happy to be in the hot sun ! If you take a cab, it will take you 1 hour and 15 minutes; if you take a private van (6-8 people) it will take you 1hour 45 minutes; if you take the regular bur it's 2 hours. But that is just because the more you are, the more you stop at different hotels !

We are planning our wedding at Dreams Tulum, and went there for a site visit in January. To me the drive wasn't that bad, we took a taxi and it took about an hour. But like someone else said, you are so excited you don't really notice how long it takes to get there. To me it is definately worth the drive, it is kind of secluded from other places and has such a beautiful beach. It's close to Xel-Ha and the Tulum ruins so there are things to do, but far enough away that you feel more private. But like another poster said, its geared more towards family and not the clubbing crowd, so it just depends on what you want out of the trip. There is another Dreams opening up in Puerto Adventuras I think, so you might look into that if you want something closer to PDC or Cancun.

when I started planning I was totally against cancun, I looked into dreams tulum and heard about how far it was from the airport and decided against it, the more I looked into dreams cancun the more I liked it, so that worked out!

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that it's your day and you should choose the resort that you will be happy with. For me, it was important that as many of our friends and family could make it as possible. Some of our friends and family could only come down for 3 nights and I didn't like the idea of them spending so much of their time travelling (between arriving at the airport early, flight, and drive time that equates to about 10 hours) thats a lot of wasted time on a 3 night get away.

As others have said too it's important to consider the age group and the likes of the group. I know my brother and his friend were living it up in cancun and even my mom and her friends went out to coco bongo a few times, they had a blast. I don't know if my brother would have had as much fun in tulum because it's so much quieter.

I think they're both beautiful resorts and your wedding will be perfect at either one, I think you should sit down and figure out what is important to you.

• VIP Member

I thought of this too. Although I'm not getting married at Dreams, it's the same area.

But, it's a matter of weighing what you want. I did NOT want to have hundreds of other hotels in the backgrounds of all my photos. i wanted to "get away" (yet still be at a huge all inclusive resort :)). So, in order to get what I wanted or had envisioned... 1 hour 15 minutes it is!