Photo

Do you take Probiotics?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 B&J2008

B&J2008
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:19 PM

I take them everyday, usually twice daily. After lots of problems and my grandmother died from colon cancer, I got scared. I've tried everything you can think of and since I've been taking acidophilus, I've seen a huge difference.

#12 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

I am so glad I have this forum, I had no idea about probiotics. Maybe I should start on them too, what the heck, lol

#13 BarefootBride

BarefootBride
      • 1,266 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:53 PM

I rather take yogurt with probiotics but I also found some chewable ones at GNC. I actually like them. I tried these 20.00 ones when I went back to the states - Culturelle I think they were called. Needless to say, I wasnt consistant with them and ended up having to trash them because they were out of date. What a waste. They did give me GAS! Hated them!

#14 BlingBride

BlingBride
        • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

This is a great post. I give my horses probiotics and I guess it just never really donned on me that it might be good for me to take them too. I do try to eat yogurt, but would this be enough or would you need to take more?

#15 Alyssa

Alyssa
          • 11,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:20 AM

thanks girls - i have some digestive issues, off and on and have been told by a number of Docs and natural practicioners to take probiotics. i am researching for a good brand - i think i would like to go with the shelf stable ones so i don't have to keep them in the fridge

#16 AmyInMI

AmyInMI
            • 547 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

I was taking probiotics while I on IV antibiotics and they really helped my gut. I was under the impression that unless they are refridgerated, they are not very effective.
              http://i77.photobuck....nsetkiss-1.jpg
              Amy & Aaron
              May 10, 2008
              Dreams Tulum, Riviera Maya, Mexico

#17 Alyssa

Alyssa
              • 11,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:26 AM

Amy - i have been doing some research and there are 2 types - refriderated and shelf stable that you do not have to keep in the fridge

#18 BrittneyD

BrittneyD
                • 679 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:02 AM

I don't take them yet, but I do try to get them naturally. I used to eat a lot of yogurt, but I really can't handle a lot of dairy. Brown bananas are one of the best natural sources. I just mix it in with my oatmeal, so I do feel disgusted from the mushy texture.
                  Brittney & Peter
                  July 12, 2008
                  Riu Ocho Rios

http://tickers.Ticke....2452/event.png

#19 fogdog

fogdog
                  • 170 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:48 AM

I take them occasionally, but agree that the best thing to do is try to get them naturally through diet. I have chronic sinus problems that require me to be on antibiotics regularly for long stretches of time. When I finish the antibiotics, I take the probiotics for an equal period of time to "repopulate the colonies" of good bacteria. I go to a natural pharmacy and this is what they have recommended.
                    I take New Chapter Pro Flora 1st thing in the morning with a big drink of water and don't eat for 30 min (not sure why but they advised taking them on an empty stomach). The one advantage to probiotics over yogurt, etc. is that you can get several strains of bacteria - I think mine has about 15 - whereas yogurt typically has 2-4. The only side effect I notice is increased regularity, not necessarily a bad thing.
                    I'm a big fan but probably wouldn't take them regularly if not for health issues, they're a bit pricey.
                    Bridget and Brian
                    Los Cabos 11/17/07

#20 Rhonda

Rhonda
                    • 270 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:59 AM

I am a Registered Dietitian and I typically recommend probiotics to individuals with digestive issues, but, they may also be useful to keep your digestive system healthy. The important thing to keep in mind is the quantity of bacteria in a probiotic because the reflects the effectiveness. For example, one that I recommend is called Yakult. It has 8 billion bacteria in a 2.7 ounce container!
                      Many food products claim probiotics, but, often, they don't have enough to be effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users