Tammy's Travel Tips for your guests

TammyWright

I posted this on my wedding website.

=====================

After your flight lands in Mexico and you are making your way out of the airport you are going to be confronted by a number of people who will be pretending to be helpful. The truth is that they are trying to lure you into their timeshare sales pitch. They will tell you whatever it takes to get your attention. Just ignore them and proceed out of the building. Once you are outside, there will be a representative from our travel agency with a sign that either says xxx/xxx wedding. These are the people who will shuttle you to the Dreams resort.

Note: One thing that is strange that you will encounter as you're exiting the airport building is that you'll have to push a button and if it's red you get searched. This is ok - just a part of their process.

Have at least 1 person in the party travelling with you bring a pen on the plane to fill out customs papers.

Even though monetary tips are included in the all-inclusive resort package, you may want to bring $1 bills to tip the resort workers.

Men: pack pair of pants in case the dress code is enforced at the nicer resort restaurants.

Women: pack a cardigan because it can get breezy at night time.

Timeshare Vendors: they are very aggressive. Do not make eye contact with them or you may be forced to sit in a 4 hours time-share seminar. They are all over mexico and try to intercept you at the airport, right after you go through the security gates. They will also "welcome" you when you get to the resort and try to weasel you into going to a seminar. If you say you are not married, they will usually leave you alone.

The beds are notoriously hard in Mexico. if you are sensitive to hard beds, try to request a mattress pad when you check in.

The lounge chairs around the pool get taken early (like by 8:30am!). If you want a chair, it might be a good idea to throw a towel and magazine on the chair before heading to breakfast. It will be easier finding a chaise lounge at the smaller, quieter pool.

The resort is filled to capacity for Memorial Day weekend. It is recommended that you make reservations at the nicer restaurants. Here is information and descriptions of restaurants in the resort, you may want to make reservations when you check in.

here are my FAQ's

Wedding Attire

What should I wear to the wedding?

We are having a relaxed, beach wedding weekend, so we are encouraging a "beach chic" look for the events. For the ceremony, men should wear a nice shirt and pants (Tommy Bahama look is good), suits and ties are ok but not required by any means. Women should wear dresses. Sandals are ok, but please no shorts and flip flops during the ceremony.

Montezuma's Revenge

Can I drink the water?

The water supply for all of Los Cabos is spring fed ground water. The water here is very pure, but be careful. The pipes used for distribution of the water supply and other factors can lead to contamination. Although many people drink the water directly from the tap, it is not recommended. Anywhere in the world, a change in drinking water can cause stomach distress.

We recommend that you drink only bottled or purified water. All of the major hotels purify their water or serve purified water. However, you are better off ALWAYS drinking bottled water, even to brush your teeth. Dreams Resort provides free water bottles in your rooms.

"Auga Purificado" is what you want.

What food should I stay away from?

We suggest steering clear of anything that has been washed in unpurified water, such as lettuce (this means no salad), and fruit that can't be peeled. When in doubt, do not eat it.

Weather

What will the weather be like?

It is paradise all year round with clear skies 360 days of the year and temperatures averaging around 78 degrees with minor fluctuations. Los Cabos may have about 5 rainy days each year generally in late August and September. The old saying - when it rains it pours, is very true of the rains in Los Cabos.

In the summer months, it can get VERY hot in Cabo, but hopefully May will still be on the mild side.

Cabo San Lucas Average Temperatures (in F):

May highs: 80-85 lows: 65-70

June highs: 80-85 lows: 67-72

Travel Documents

Do I need a passport?

Short answer: YES. edited to say you now need passports

Currency

Can I use the U.S. Dollar?

Dollars and Pesos are widely accepted all over Los Cabos. Credit Cards are also accepted for most purchases, and you will often get the best excange rate by using a credit card. ATM's are also avliable in downtown areas.

General Info

Where is Los Cabos?

Los Cabos is the municipality which includes the cities of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, and located in the state of Baja California Sur.

Cabo San Lucas is located at the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula in the State of Baja California Sur. Cabo is approximately 1,000 miles south of San Diego, California, 10 degrees below the Tropic of Cancer at a latitude of approximately 22 degrees. Cabo San Lucas is approximately 20 miles southwest of the Los Cabos International Airport.

• 3 years later...