So What do you do for a living?

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#191 aimee!

aimee!
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:32 AM

i'll play too! :)

i am a transportation engineer. which pretty much means i got a civil engineering degree & now i design roadways- pavement, storm sewer, and yes: roundabouts!
    Wedding & TTD Slideshow (by Sascha Gluck)

#192 luvtoteachlaw

luvtoteachlaw
    • 134 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:44 AM

I spent 6 years as a family law attorney, and decided three years ago that I had had enough of litigating custody cases and trying to make a living off of other people's emotional devestation. It really, really sucked . . .

So now I LOVE my job teaching law at the college level. I am the program director for both a paralegal program and also a criminal justice program. With this job, I feel a sense of accomplishment and feel good about affecting students' lives in a positive way.

So many students have such low self esteem, and many have never been encouraged to go after their dreams. I can't tell you how many times I have had students tell me that they had always been told they were stupid and could never make it in college. So few have ever experienced a truly supportive family and it is just so sad. However, with some encouragement from faculty and hard work on their part, I see them gain the self confidence necessary to go after what they want. It is amazing to watch!

My Fiancee is a pilot with Delta Airlines based in Cincinnati, so he is gone for days at a time. The airline industry sucks . . . but I don't want to get started on a rant or I won't be able to get to sleep!

#193 Tara

Tara
      • 473 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:29 AM

Fi and I both work for Verizon Wireless as data support technicians. Our entire day is spent solving the issues that regular support techs cannot correct when customer's call in reporting outages, trouble with PDA's, blackberry's and data cards. We both have multiple PC certifications. Hiram is a HUGE geek so it's suits him perfectly. He's the go to guy at work for everyone's tech problems (and mine at home).

Me on the other hand... I ended up there because the mortgage company I worked for feel prey to the housing crisis 3 years ago. My degree is in finance but I minored in computer engineering. So I'm a dork by default. :)

#194 cougs

cougs

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 12,151 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

technically, i post on BDW all day and get paid for it, LOL! you ladies seem to have impressive and important careers ... how do you squeeze in your internet time?

i am a graphic designer for a small publishing firm. i design book covers, and am responsible for a monthly periodical. sounds exciting and interesting until you hear that 99% of what we publish is "information technology" related. for about 9 years here i was responsible for computers in libraries magazine ... can you get duller than computers ... IN LIBRARIES?! LOL!

#195 Sloan

Sloan
          • 1,279 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by mummergirl
            technically, i post on BDW all day and get paid for it, LOL! you ladies seem to have impressive and important careers ... how do you squeeze in your internet time?

i am a graphic designer for a small publishing firm. i design book covers, and am responsible for a monthly periodical. sounds exciting and interesting until you hear that 99% of what we publish is "information technology" related. for about 9 years here i was responsible for computers in libraries magazine ... can you get duller than computers ... IN LIBRARIES?! LOL!
            LOL! I think I fell asleep just reading that...

#196 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
            • 2,777 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

Ooooo this is fun!

I am a stay at home mom and I love it. I'm just getting started as a WC and its alot of work to get started.

#197 ohiobride15

ohiobride15
              • 156 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

I am a respiratory therapist at the Cleveland Clinic Heart center. I work with post heart and lung surgery patients. I really love my job. Everyday is completely different.

#198 MrsMcs

MrsMcs
                • 34 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

I'm the office coordinator in the financial aid office of a hospital...it's a lot of customer service, which can suck at times, but it can also be pretty rewarding since I get to help people..

#199 sally

sally
                  • 302 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

I work in a call centre managing a team of collections agents taking inbound calls for T-Mobile UK

#200 ~*petals*~

~*petals*~
                    • 1,572 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

I work in the PR department of an international nonprofit. I've been there for years & enjoy it-- especially the intl travel! I also have a side gig hosting a weekly radio show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users