Stupid question, but...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#11 Rachelle E.

Rachelle E.
  • VIP Member
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

As a hostess gift I don't think the price of the wine would bother me that much...it's just a token of appreciation IMO. They don't necessarily HAVE to get me anything. BUT, if it's a gift FOR me..like b-day or something, that would be pretty irritatating...I mean, come on! At least get me something that's a bare minimum gift card amount - like $10 or something! lol!

Yeah, Dh's boss at his old job gave him a bottle of wine for his b-day one year. Now this woman is LOADED and knows wine...and she gave us a $12 bottle of really mediocre Merlot. That was frustrating...it's like, "Glad you appreciate all my hard work!" :-P Mostly because she knows better I guess....

#12 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
    • 4,881 posts
    • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
    • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
    • LocationNew York

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

That's too funny! Yes, they are cheap - either because they are regifting, or because they can only be bothered to spend $7 on a bottle.

Seriously? The stuff I cook with costs more than that.

But no, you're not allowed to be bothered by it. Its the thought that counts.

You can always do what I do and the next time they invite you for dinner, just bring it along...

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#13 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

I think people who are not avid wine drinkers prefer the cheap stuff. maybe this was their favorite wine. The cheap stuff is usually sweeter and easier to drink. Before I had some good wine, my favorite wine was a $4 bottle of Lambrusco I had at the olive garden. I took it to lots of parties. The funny thing is, it would become the hostesses new favorite wine. I think it might have tasted like koolaid. I can't remember. I've also shown up at a party with a box of franzia, so you now how classy I am.

Anyway, I've had some good wine since then & sort of understand the difference, but I'm just not a wine drinker. But, I've become used to good beer & I totally understand why wine drinkers like good wine. When I was home for christmas, I had miller lite for the first time in a year. It felt like a waste of time to drink it. I spend as much for a 6 pack as I spent for a suitcase of beer in college. But its so much better.

Anyway, back to the topic. I wouldn't be upset about a $7 bottle. I tend to be Cheapy Mc. Cheaperton though. I also encourage my friends to be the same way. If we are getting together I don't care if people bring anything. Or if they bring a half eaten bag of chips, 3 beers someone left in their fridge, etc. And I also don't care if they take home leftovers. I don't like people to spend money out of guilt or fear of seaming cheap.

#14 StephanieMN

StephanieMN
      • 1,798 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

I guess I am going to sound snotty here but a gift is a gift. I would not be offended if I got a gift and found out later the person got a good deal on it. I know that not everyone has a lot of money. To us right now buying a $20 bottle of wine is out of the question.

#15 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
        • 26,161 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:26 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by StephanieMN
          I guess I am going to sound snotty here but a gift is a gift. I would not be offended if I got a gift and found out later the person got a good deal on it. I know that not everyone has a lot of money. To us right now buying a $20 bottle of wine is out of the question.
          That's not snotty at all! That's the right spirit to have :)

#16 StephanieMN

StephanieMN
          • 1,798 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by starchild
            That's not snotty at all! That's the right spirit to have :)
            Yeah in the "real world" that wouldn't sound snotty but sometimes this forum is a little too "puppies and kittens" about some stuff.

#17 MelissaH

MelissaH
            • 1,724 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

LOL You're right, a gift is a gift, but I remember now who it's from and now that I've sobered up THAT's what's bothering me LOL

It wasn't half bad for a $7 bottle though...

It's too bad I didn't remember who it was from before I drank it...I would have toted it with me to their next "party" (aka an excuse to invite everyone i've ever associated with over to show off how many toys I own and rub in that I think I'm better than you are...even though I'm not)

I'm not bitter :)

#18 foxytv

foxytv
              • VIP Member
              • 7,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

I think it all depends b/c you can get some high quality wine for a low, low price ... IF you know what you are looking for.

But if it's a white elephant or something like that -- spend the friggin' amount you are supposed to and if you get a $6 bottle of wine, get 3-4 bottles to meet the $20 limit, or whatever, right? (although stepping up to the 420 would make more sense, lol).

There are some $20 bottles of wine that are no better than a $6 bottle ... so again, it really just depends.

But, yes, if someone brings me a bottle of wine, I don't want to see Mondavi or Beringer or another generic wine that you can get just anywhere.

Go to a wine store, tell them your price range and ask for an unusual but high quality wine in that range.

#19 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by MelissaH
                  their next "party" (aka an excuse to invite everyone i've ever associated with over to show off how many toys I own and rub in that I think I'm better than you are...even though I'm not)

I'm not bitter :)
                  That doesn't sound like much of a party. I think I'm just lucky still being in the cheap-is-cool environment as a grad student. Around here people are proud of driving an old car, getting something for free, etc. We actually have parties where we swap clothes with each other & drink cheap wine. I can't stand being around people who are pretentious. I would probably skip that party if you get invited & stay at home & drink the bottle of wine you would have taken. The good stuff :)

#20 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                  • 26,161 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by StephanieMN
                    Yeah in the "real world" that wouldn't sound snotty but sometimes this forum is a little too "puppies and kittens" about some stuff.
                    Easy killer! haha...yes a gift is a gift and I was also raised not to question it or speak about it...lol I would never say anything but thank you to someone who gave me a gift because you never know why they chose it for you - money, what they thought you like, or giving you a bad gift just to spite you (sadly I know that happens too). But I sure can think it :P

Gosh this lady at my job gave me patchouli body oil & incense as a secret santa gift one year, and I hate that smell!!! She's all "Once you said you loved patchouli so I knew this was for you when I saw it" and I know I didn't say I like that stuff, it gives me a lump in my throat...but I thanked her just to be grateful. What was I supposed to say "No, you were wrong. That smells like ass and I won't use it" LOL How akward is that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users