Group Rate Costs

Hi gals. Some posts here are saying that the Majestic is too expensive so don't consider it but you definitely should - it's really not that bad. My Toronto-departure guests are paying under $1600 all taxes in (7 nights, based on double occupancy) which is pretty amazing, I think, for a 5-star resort. I did a lot of shopping around though - 5 travel agents! So if you're persistent, you can get a great deal. Hope this helps!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfink View Post
Hi gals. Some posts here are saying that the Majestic is too expensive so don't consider it but you definitely should - it's really not that bad. My Toronto-departure guests are paying under $1600 all taxes in (7 nights, based on double occupancy) which is pretty amazing, I think, for a 5-star resort. I did a lot of shopping around though - 5 travel agents! So if you're persistent, you can get a great deal. Hope this helps!
Yes, but you went in November, there is a huge difference in price between November (I assume based on your signature) and February (when the OP is travelling). Like I mentioned above I went to a 4.5 star resort in Punta Cana in November, from Ottawa, for 900$ (i.e. 600$+300$ taxes)!!! November is so cheap! You probalby have to add 300$ or more to that price (for the Majestic) for February, which would bring it close to 2000$ (what you are currently being quoted) So again you need full information when comparing prices that different people paid.

(sorry if that came across as rude as that is not my intention)

My TA just got back to me with group prices for early Jan 2009. Group of 25-30 leaving from TO or Ottawa...

Punta Cana

Occidental Grand Flamenco $1400 + taxes With Air Canada

Le Mirage $1539+ tx with air transit

Puerto Plata

Riu Merange $1210+taxes with Sunquest

Allegro Playa Durado $1177+tx with Air transit

Occidental Grand Puerto Plata $1220+Tax

Mayan Riviera

H10 Ocean Turquasa $1687+tax

Just thought I would share some of the quotes we are getting to show some of the resorts that can be around $1500 pp. Haven't fallen in love with any of them yet though.shots.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBride View Post
Yes, but you went in November, there is a huge difference in price between November (I assume based on your signature) and February (when the OP is travelling). Like I mentioned above I went to a 4.5 star resort in Punta Cana in November, from Ottawa, for 900$ (i.e. 600$+300$ taxes)!!! November is so cheap! You probalby have to add 300$ or more to that price (for the Majestic) for February, which would bring it close to 2000$ (what you are currently being quoted) So again you need full information when comparing prices that different people paid.

(sorry if that came across as rude as that is not my intention)
Actually, November isn't at all the cheapest time to go to DR. Also, after conversations with several TAs I learned that the rates for DR actually went up this year over last year. I'm not sure why that's the case, but it is. If you're looking for a season that's more affordable, maybe try June-September or right after Christmas when demand drops and so do the prices.

Dear ' Excited " ,

I used Itravel , and will give you the name of the TA I am using if you want .

As a matter of fact here is my website ( that they set up for you for free )

Wedding Invitation - itravel2000

You can see my ' Booking form ' and see all the prices .

I asked for and got quotes for all 6 Riu Resorts , I wanted my guests to have the option regarding price point . I narrowed it down to four , as to NOT overwhlem them ..lol...

But it turns out the prices for 7 days , double occ. was so good for the Palaces , that all of my guests have been booking there . 46 have booked so far , I am expecting 64 .

The prices quoted were $1341+ $276.50 tax + $ 1617.50 for the Riu Palace Maya Rivieria .

$1288+$276.50 = $1564.70 for the Riu Palace Mexico

$1165 + $276.50 = $1441.50 for the Riu Yucatan

$1139+ $276.50= $ 1415.50 for the Riu Playacar

** The cool thing is that if you book a Palace you can go to any of the other Riu resorts there, however if you book one of the 'normal Riu's ' then you can only go to those ones( NOT the Palaces ) .

Hope this helps . Let me know if you need more info . Happy to help .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfink View Post
Actually, November isn't at all the cheapest time to go to DR. Also, after conversations with several TAs I learned that the rates for DR actually went up this year over last year. I'm not sure why that's the case, but it is. If you're looking for a season that's more affordable, maybe try June-September or right after Christmas when demand drops and so do the prices.
I never said it was the cheapest, just that it was cheap. Definitely cheaper than the middle of winter or spring break season.

It's true that right before and right after Christmas vacation are good times, as it is winter weather here, but still fairly cheap.

But anyways, I was just trying to remind people that you can't expect to get the same price as somebody else if you are leaving from a different airport, or going at a different time of year, as prices for a resort can fluctuate by several hundred dollars based on those two factors.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We also used a TA from itravel2000 and I shopped around alot. We are staying at the Riu palace Cabo San Lucas in October 2008 and for 1 wk A.I with flight from T.O - Each guest is paying 1400$ taxes included! Really good deal for a 5 star hotel in cabo.