Group Rate Costs

Hi Everyone,

We just received our estimated rates per person for a Punta Cana wedding. There are numerous resort options and prices to choose from but we are honestly extremely surprised at the prices we were quoted. We estimate that we'll have at least 60-80 people that will want to attend and our original estimate is that we could get a quote for about $1200/each after taxes. Unfortunately many of the quotes are close to $1800-$2300!! Are we being unrealistic thinking that we could get a rate of $1200 for each person? What is the average price the other people are paying for the DW? Any insight would be appreciated.

(The quotes we received are for Majestic Colonial, Gran Bahia Principe, Ocean Blue, and Dreams)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My quote....

We are going to the Sandals Hicacos for 7 nights. It came to $2000 per person, all taxes in, flying from Saskatoon.

And, when I was looking, Cuba was cheaper than MExico. Many of the TA i talked to said you couldn't get to Mexico for under $2000. (Unless you got a REALLY good deal.)

Our budget was we wanted to spend no more than $2000 per person.

You have the option of trying to book an online deal...but the problem with that is the fact that you may not get ALL your guests there. If you book through a TA, at least you can get a fixed Group Rate, and have a guarantee all your guests will be at the same resort.

My TA is awesome! If you want, I can send you her name. She is really good at finding a place for your budget. (Though, I think that may be a little low....)

Hi! I'm in Ottawa too and am thinking about the Dominican for about the same time of year in 2009. I was also hoping for a much lower price than what you've been quoted. Especially if you're having so many guests!

I was thinking that $1500 to $1700 max was what I would want to ask my guests to pay. Are you working with a travel agent? Which one? I haven't been to one yet (besides picking up brochures), but am about to start "interviewing" them. I met one TA at the Wedding Palace bridal fair in January that seemed like she would be helpful and knowledgeable, but she's in Gloucester and I'm out in Kanata, so that might be a bit too much travel if I have to meet with her very often. Although I guess a lot of it can be done on the phone or over e-mail.

Anyways, maybe we can help each other out on this or share some information.

~Lindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzibella View Post
Hi! I'm in Ottawa too and am thinking about the Dominican for about the same time of year in 2009. I was also hoping for a much lower price than what you've been quoted. Especially if you're having so many guests!
I was thinking that $1500 to $1700 max was what I would want to ask my guests to pay. Are you working with a travel agent? Which one? I haven't been to one yet (besides picking up brochures), but am about to start "interviewing" them. I met one TA at the Wedding Palace bridal fair in January that seemed like she would be helpful and knowledgeable, but she's in Gloucester and I'm out in Kanata, so that might be a bit too much travel if I have to meet with her very often. Although I guess a lot of it can be done on the phone or over e-mail.
Anyways, maybe we can help each other out on this or share some information.

~Lindsay
Hi Lindsay!!

Glad to hear I'm not alone on this!! I was starting to think that we were being naive about the cost of all of this!! We would really like to keep the cost at $1500 max including taxes.
We did find a travel agent, which for us, was very difficult to do. We too met a TA at a bridal show at Landsdowne and thought she'd be great to work with, but it turned out she was so busy, she kept forgetting to call us back! So we found someone out of Toronto and this is who we got our quotes from.
Now, I can understand the prices that we were quoted if it were just him and I going on vacation...but for 60-80 people I was hoping for a better deal than that!!
Needless to say, we're going to start looking around for other ways to go about this, and maybe get quotes from some other agencies.
It'd be great to work together to find a good agency here in Ottawa that can help us.....how big is your group going to be??

Take good care,
-Andrea

Our rates were higher than what I had wanted too. Flying from the US with only one layover, arriving in Jamaica early afternoon and departing late afternoon, 7 nights, double occupancy, it is $2200 per person. This price does include all taxes, transfers, fees, etc.

We have a 4 night package for about $1500 pp.

We looked at several different places and it was always the airfare that drove up the cost. Apparently from the US now there is a minimum Sept. 11 tax of about $100 per person on all international flights!

I'd say keep looking for bargains, but for an AI resort and international airfare, it will probably be closer to $2000 per person than it is $1000 per person.

Unfortunately, I would say that those quotes are quite realistic for the resorts you have listed. There is no way you would get away with $1200 for Majestic Colonial and Dreams. They are high end resorts. The average price is around $2000. Believe me, I really want to go to the Majestic but am detered by the price knowing I can get a way better deal. If you want something less expensive, you may want to consider lower star resorts (sucks I know) or maybe even a different area of the DR. Punta Cana is the most expensive destination in the DR. I've been to the La Romana area and loved it. I believe the resort was called Sunscape Casa Del Mar. The resorts are on the Carribean and the beaches are beautiful.

Another thing you need to consider is the taxes. DR's taxes are $300 plus. Over the last few years, they continue to increase sad.gif The first time I went to the DR taxes were under the $200 mark.

Cuba is another option if you are trying to save some money. I've heard great things about the Sandals resort in Varedero. I've been to Cayo Guillermo and the beach was one of the most beautiful I've seen. But, as you probably know, the food in Cuba is not the greatest.

Traditionally, Mexico is the most expensive of the three, especially the Mayan Riveria. That being said, I was able to get a fantastic deal. I'm staying at Dreams Puerto Vallarta, which is a high end resort and am only paying $1690 (Toronto departure-April 18th). I think I have the same TA you are talking about. It took me a month to book because I was adament my quotes would be around $1700, would include a waiving of the single supplement fee (such a rip off) and a book 20 adults receive a free one. My TA negotiated with all the tour ops to get me what I wanted.

Good luck and try not to get discouraged. By all means, get different quotes by other agents so you make the best decision. But please realize, these quotes are not necessarily a reflection of the TA but the resorts/locations/time of year ect..

For the other Ottawa bride, you may want to check out my TA. She's great!!!

Unfortunately, I would say that those quotes are quite realistic for the resorts you have listed. There is no way you would get away with $1200 for Majestic Colonial and Dreams. They are high end resorts. The average price is around $2000. Believe me, I really want to go to the Majestic but am detered by the price knowing I can get a way better deal. If you want something less expensive, you may want to consider lower star resorts (sucks I know) or maybe even a different area of the DR. Punta Cana is the most expensive destination in the DR. I've been to the La Romana area and loved it. I believe the resort was called Sunscape Casa Del Mar. The resorts are on the Carribean and the beaches are beautiful.

Another thing you need to consider is the taxes. DR's taxes are $300 plus. Over the last few years, they continue to increase sad.gif The first time I went to the DR taxes were under the $200 mark.

Cuba is another option if you are trying to save some money. I've heard great things about the Sandals resort in Varedero. I've been to Cayo Guillermo and the beach was one of the most beautiful I've seen. But, as you probably know, the food in Cuba is not the greatest.

Traditionally, Mexico is the most expensive of the three, especially the Mayan Riveria. That being said, I was able to get a fantastic deal. I'm staying at Dreams Puerto Vallarta, which is a high end resort and am only paying $1690 (Toronto departure-April 18th). I think I have the same TA you are talking about. It took me a month to book because I was adament my quotes would be around $1700, would include a waiving of the single supplement fee (such a rip off) and a book 20 adults receive a free one. My TA negotiated with all the tour ops to get me what I wanted.

Good luck and try not to get discouraged. By all means, get different quotes by other agents so you make the best decision. But please realize, these quotes are not necessarily a reflection of the TA but the resorts/locations/time of year ect..

For the other Ottawa bride, you may want to check out my TA. She's great!!!

Thanks very much for all this information and especially for the travel agent tip. I just had a quick look through her site and will definately be contacting her this week.

~Lindsay