becks

VIP

• VIP Member
  • 4,881 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
  • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

Also check with your hotel - many of them have safes at the front desk - similar to a safe deposit box at the bank - you have to have a key, and the hotel staff have to have a key to open it - not ideal for things that you want easy access to, but if it's your wedding rings that you're not going to need until the day of, this is a good option.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#12 KHarrod

KHarrod
  • 902 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:27 AM

I know that my previous profile had Dreams Punta Cana, but now I have booked and confirmed my date at Riu Ochos Rios. That's the reason I was concerned with the in room theft.

#13 KtownBride

KtownBride
    • 39 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:42 AM

We just returned and had no problems with any in room theft. I did however have my ipod stolen out of my purse, but that was my own fault of having too many daquiries and left it lying around.

#14 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:25 AM

We were there in June 2007 and didn't have a theft issue but as they say, it happens all over. Just travel smart (read the thread Morgan shared for tips) and give yourself the best chance.

#15 Cherie

Cherie
        • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:21 PM

I just was married at the ROR in January 2008. I have to admit we did have a scare while there. We were moving from the ceremony to the Plantation for our reception when one of the groomsmen was stopped by someone also there for a DW. Supposedly (as they have no reason to lie) his brother was married a couple days previously, and while the bridal party was at their reception, their safes were drilled out. We all rushed back to our rooms to ensure everything was IN the safe; because if anything is stolen out of the safe it is insured. If you leave anything lying in your room, the resort insurance won't cover it. That's what we were told anyway.
          Just be smart and make sure you lock everything up.

#16 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Cherie
            I just was married at the ROR in January 2008. I have to admit we did have a scare while there. We were moving from the ceremony to the Plantation for our reception when one of the groomsmen was stopped by someone also there for a DW. Supposedly (as they have no reason to lie) his brother was married a couple days previously, and while the bridal party was at their reception, their safes were drilled out. We all rushed back to our rooms to ensure everything was IN the safe; because if anything is stolen out of the safe it is insured. If you leave anything lying in your room, the resort insurance won't cover it. That's what we were told anyway.
            Just be smart and make sure you lock everything up.
            Of all the stories I've heard of people having their safes robbed, none we reimbursed. i'm not sure if they were honest about the insurance. The safes sound mroe dangerous to me. It puts all your valuables in one spot that doesn't sound that secure.

when my luggage locks arrive I'll let you know how secure they seam. Sure they could take the whole suitcase, but I don't think that's as easy as pocking some money. i plan on locking all suitcases, not just ones with money/ cameras. So they'd have to get 4 big cases out of our room without being noticed.

#17 Cherie

Cherie
            • 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
              Of all the stories I've heard of people having their safes robbed, none we reimbursed. i'm not sure if they were honest about the insurance. The safes sound mroe dangerous to me. It puts all your valuables in one spot that doesn't sound that secure.

when my luggage locks arrive I'll let you know how secure they seam. Sure they could take the whole suitcase, but I don't think that's as easy as pocking some money. i plan on locking all suitcases, not just ones with money/ cameras. So they'd have to get 4 big cases out of our room without being noticed.
              That is what we were told by the resort. Anyway, nothing happened and we had 60 guests with us. Good luck.

#18 LadyCheese

LadyCheese
              • 1,830 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Morgan
                I just bought a lot of 8 luggage combo locks on ebay for $18. I'm going to give them to guests in their OOT bags along with some safety tips.

It sounds like they often target wedding parties because they know when they won't be in their room.
                Thats an excellent idea!! Good thinking...I would be horrified if my guests were taken advantage of like that.

#19 LadyCheese

LadyCheese
                • 1,830 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

OOps double post

#20 LadyCheese

LadyCheese
                  • 1,830 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

I found these on Ebay:
                    6 - TSA Combination Luggage Lock w/SEARCH Indicator NEW - eBay (item 110224976689 end time Feb-21-08 06:45:00 PST)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users