Quote:
Originally Posted by starchild View Post
That's my sentiment too. Since I must choose, I too would rather spend that money on good times. I do acknowledge that there is often a difference in quality/styles of photos when you pay more, so no disrespect to the many photographers here. From what I've seen you all are well worth your rates.

My concern is simply that there are photos when it's all said and done, some color, some black and white. Not necessarily that they are the best out there or are worthy of publication. It's just a matter of priority. Trust me people think I'm nuts for spending so much on my welcome dinner but I'd rather pay thousands for fabulous food, conversation, and memories than have a low end welcome dinner but great photos of it. If the budget allowed I would do it all but since it doesn't I prefer the experience. Different strokes I guess :o)
I'm with Jamey on this one---- I know which photographer I would love to hire, but I have a hard time with the idea of spending $3K+. To me, even if my memories fade and the day goes fast, the memories of all our guests and family won't be as shoddy as mine and they will help me remember. Plus, a snapshot with a point-and-shoot is just a likely to make me remember a memory as a really expensive, journalistic style photograph. I'd rather spend the money on fabulous food, entertainment and "spoiling" our guests the best we can. Yes, it would be nice to have some great photos, but I don't ever remember my parents pulling out their wedding photo album hardly at all, nor my sister, nor my brother, nor my future in-law's in the time I've known them.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiStreak View Post
I'm with Jamey on this one---- I know which photographer I would love to hire, but I have a hard time with the idea of spending $3K+. To me, even if my memories fade and the day goes fast, the memories of all our guests and family won't be as shoddy as mine and they will help me remember. Plus, a snapshot with a point-and-shoot is just a likely to make me remember a memory as a really expensive, journalistic style photograph. I'd rather spend the money on fabulous food, entertainment and "spoiling" our guests the best we can. Yes, it would be nice to have some great photos, but I don't ever remember my parents pulling out their wedding photo album hardly at all, nor my sister, nor my brother, nor my future in-law's in the time I've known them.

my FI says the same thing, how many times are we going to look at our album, maybe a lot in the first year when we're showing people, after that it will probably collect dust with the rest of my photo albums.

don't get me wrong I love pictures, especially good ones. But I also don't want to have to say on our honeymoon, well I would have liked to have done some excursions, but we spent so much on our photographer, I guess we'll just have to stick around the resort. To me, thats not what a vacation is about, I like to relax, but I also like to see and do things, especially somewhere we've never been before.

Quote:
That's my sentiment too. Since I must choose, I too would rather spend that money on good times. I do acknowledge that there is often a difference in quality/styles of photos when you pay more, so no disrespect to the many photographers here. From what I've seen you all are well worth your rates.

My concern is simply that there are photos when it's all said and done, some color, some black and white. Not necessarily that they are the best out there or are worthy of publication. It's just a matter of priority. Trust me people think I'm nuts for spending so much on my welcome dinner but I'd rather pay thousands for fabulous food, conversation, and memories than have a low end welcome dinner but great photos of it. If the budget allowed I would do it all but since it doesn't I prefer the experience. Different strokes I guess :o)
Jamy - Not only do we feel the same way about the pics, but we both live in Hollywood and our weddings are only 14 days apart... creepy wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkashmira View Post
Jamy - Not only do we feel the same way about the pics, but we both live in Hollywood and our weddings are only 14 days apart... creepy wink.gif
That is creepy :o) You aren't a Gemini too are you? lol
You know, at some point we should organize a BDW get together in L.A. because the one in O.C. was too far for me to get to on that weeknight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiStreak View Post
Good point. After the initial "this was my wedding, here are the pics" I've never seen anyone pull out the albums. In fact, I've been to plenty of weddings where I never even saw the albums at all.

Quote:
You know, at some point we should organize a BDW get together in L.A. because the one in O.C. was too far for me to get to on that weeknight.
Hey Jamy,
If you plan or someone else plans the BDW get together in LA I will show up for sure....just as long as I don't have to buy a new car that day....that's what happened on April 2 for OC get togther...I missed it.

So Plan it.

sorry for thehijacked.gif
lol
drea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly76 View Post

don't get me wrong I love pictures, especially good ones. But I also don't want to have to say on our honeymoon, well I would have liked to have done some excursions, but we spent so much on our photographer, I guess we'll just have to stick around the resort. To me, thats not what a vacation is about, I like to relax, but I also like to see and do things, especially somewhere we've never been before.
Here here. I'm all about experiences too and if you can't have it all, and many people can't, you may as well pick what's important to you as a couple and go for that. Besides my memory is pretty darn good, and like Maria said, any photo can jog it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREA14369 View Post
Hey Jamy,
If you plan or someone else plans the BDW get together in LA I will show up for sure....just as long as I don't have to buy a new car that day....that's what happened on April 2 for OC get togther...I missed it.

So Plan it.

sorry for thehijacked.gif
lol
drea
hehehe...cool. we'll work on that!

• 2 weeks later...

I have budgeted $2000.00 for a photographer, but the problem is I can't find one in the Dominican Republic. I wish I could bring our own with us, but not possible, our trip for myself, my partner, and our 5 children is about $15000.00 then there is the wedding costs for 40 people, and I am also paying for my nephew to come with us. I want to do a trash the dress session so bad, but I have no idea if that will now be possible, I think I'm going to be stuck with the resort photographer, bummer.

Kelly~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
I have budgeted $2000.00 for a photographer, but the problem is I can't find one in the Dominican Republic. I wish I could bring our own with us, but not possible, our trip for myself, my partner, and our 5 children is about $15000.00 then there is the wedding costs for 40 people, and I am also paying for my nephew to come with us. I want to do a trash the dress session so bad, but I have no idea if that will now be possible, I think I'm going to be stuck with the resort photographer, bummer.
Kelly~
Don't worry - the resort photographer might be great! Maybe you can get in touch with him/her ahead of time and talk through what kind of stuff you want and tell them about the Trash the dress pics!

How often are resort photographers good?? Does any one know?? I have seen resort pics and I am not loving them (probably because I have been watching slideshows of some of the best on this forum, I have high expectations now) I wonder how open photographers are to suggestions on what you want. I am worried, if my pics aren't good we really think we might head to Mexico, next year for a belated honeymoon, bring our wedding clothes and book Sol or Juan to take some tash the dress pics, does that soung crazy??

Kelly~