VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 9,504 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

I found this on AOL. And everything on the internet is true! LOL

So I'm just an alcoholic...

Alcohol may cause hair to gray prematurely
    Posted: Feb 11th 2008 10:39PM by Chris Sparling
    Filed under: Food and Nutrition, General Health, Healthy Habits, Women's Health, Men's Health, HealthWatch

If you started drinking because you thought it made you look older, you may have been onto something. It turns out that regular boozers have twice the amount of premature gray hair as people who lay off the sauce.

According to an article published in the Archives of Dermatology, drinking as few as three drinks per day is enough to affect your hair color. Because alcohol stops the production of pigment-providing stem cells called melanocytes, it's very possible to experience graying at an earlier age.

The good news is that the damage does not have to be permanent. If you're graying now, cutting back on your drinking may help stop any further progression and even help restore your natural color.

#12 michelle08

michelle08
    • VIP Member
    • 2,702 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:18 PM

Okay well I barely drink. I mean if there is an occasion or whatever I will drink...but I might have a drink or two during a given month if that....and I have always been this way minus about a 2 year period about 7 years ago when I went out every weekend....

#13 foxytv

foxytv
      • VIP Member
      • 7,740 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:29 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by JamaicaBride062108
        I found this on AOL. And everything on the internet is true! LOL

So I'm just an alcoholic...

Alcohol may cause hair to gray prematurely
        Posted: Feb 11th 2008 10:39PM by Chris Sparling
        Filed under: Food and Nutrition, General Health, Healthy Habits, Women's Health, Men's Health, HealthWatch

If you started drinking because you thought it made you look older, you may have been onto something. It turns out that regular boozers have twice the amount of premature gray hair as people who lay off the sauce.

According to an article published in the Archives of Dermatology, drinking as few as three drinks per day is enough to affect your hair color. Because alcohol stops the production of pigment-providing stem cells called melanocytes, it's very possible to experience graying at an earlier age.

The good news is that the damage does not have to be permanent. If you're graying now, cutting back on your drinking may help stop any further progression and even help restore your natural color.
        Well, that certainly explains it for me.

No denying I am a heavy boozer.

Case in point -- head still pounding from too much of the sauce on a Tuesday night. lol

Oh well, guess I better get tused to all these grays (at least until we start TTC and I've gotta quit the sauce altogether!!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users