Romantic Valentine's Dinner

MsShelley

Try this, pick a new recipe out of a really great cookbook, and then have fun. Once a month I try to find a recipe that we have never had before and we make it. We have had some really great meals this way. I love salmon for a romantic meal. It is light and you don't feel heavy and full because who wants to feel bloated if the idea of the night is romancemsnwink.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
Try this, pick a new recipe out of a really great cookbook, and then have fun. Once a month I try to find a recipe that we have never had before and we make it. We have had some really great meals this way. I love salmon for a romantic meal. It is light and you don't feel heavy and full because who wants to feel bloated if the idea of the night is romancemsnwink.gif
thanks, I am racking my brain here.

So, last night he asked me, what do you wanna do for valentines day AAAHHH!!!! I am trying to figure it out, lol!

Personally, there's nothing more romantic to me than filet mignon, some steamed asparagus, and baked potatoes. Best thing about it is that it is super easy and quick. I sear the filets in a frying pan then transfere them to the broiler for about 8 minutes on each side. Worst thing about it is Filet can be pricey, especially around this time of year. You can start out with some fruit, brie, and Wine, move on to the main course. and have chocolate mousse (instant is so good and easy), and strawberries with champagne.

You read my mind Shelley, I’m stumped too.

I like the idea of Fillet minion (sp) YUMMY!!! I need to g to the grocery store and pick up some supplies. Do you have that recipe for chocolate mousse Karen?

Jello brand puts out an istant mousse mix. It's in the pudding section in the market. It's awesome because I think you just need milk and a mixer. Just mix it up for a couple of minutes, put it in dessert cups or wine glasses and chill for i think at least a half hours. top with cool whip or whipped cream and strawberry for garnish. I love it cause its super easy, fast, and looks fancy.

This year DH is cooking for me the night we get back from our reggae weekend extravaganza...don't know what, it's a surprise!

I have an excellent book of sensual food recipes that makes tasty and elegant food with ingredients that traditionally get lovers in the mood :P Here are a few simple ones, if you have a specific ingredient in mind I can look it up. (recipes and descriptions by Isabel Allende)

Corbina a la creme (can be made with salmon, conger eel, or any other firm-fleshed fish)

1 pound salmon

1 lemon, juiced

1/4 cup vodka

1/2 cup cream

2 sprigs fresh rosemary

2 tbls butter

1/2 cup toasted shredded almonds

1 pinch nutmeg

salt/pepper to taste

Wash fish and pat dry. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Place in buttered baking dish.

Sprinkle with the vodka & rosemary, dot with butter. Cover with foil and cook in a medium oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove and add the cream, nutmeg, and almonds. Return to oven, uncovered, for another minutes.

Filet Mignon Belle Epoque (This sauce is divine and the filets never fail. Buy the best; in this case it's a good investment that will pay generous dividends)

2 cups good red wine

1/2 onion, minced

1/2 carrot, minced

2 chicken livers

3 anchovy filets

2 tbls cream

2 large filets mignon

1 tsp olive oil

salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

Cook the wine, onion, and carrot for 15 minutes. Place in food processor with livers & anchovy filets; blend. Return to pot and cook 15 minutes more, stirring.

Lower the heat, add the cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir, and keep warm over the lowest heat possible.

Cook filets according to your liking, pour the sauce over the filets and serve immediately.

Madame Bovary (Flaubert's frivolous heroine inspired this one)

1 heaping cup mixed cherries, strawberries, raspberries, & red currants

3 tbls sugar

3 tbls cream cheese

1 tsp grated lemon zest

4 ladyfingers, crushed

2 tbls kirsch

1/2 banana, sliced

Pit the cherries and add to the remaining fruit with the sugar. Cook for 8 minutes. Remove, drain reserving juice, and set aside to cool.

Beat the cream cheese with a fork and add the lemon zest and ladyfingers. Add the kirsch and juice from the fruit, stirring to a smooth cream. Spoon into goblets and top with the red fruit. Use the banana slices to decorate your dessert.

Peach Delight (evocative; they resemble breasts)

1 large ripe peach, peeled

2 scoops lime ice/sorbet

2 maraschino cherries

1 tbls maraschino cherry liquid

1 cup pink champagne

Cut the peach in half and discard the pit. Place each half in a champagne goblet. Fill each goblet with a scoop of the lime ice, decorate with a cherry and a little cherry liquid, and fill with champagne. Serve immediately.

how about a Penne alla Vodka. My friend swears by this recipe:

15 Minute Penne alla Vodka

serves 4

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 cup vodka (here is the place to splurge on the good stuff)

one 14-1/2 ounce jar tomato sauce (whatever is your favorite, nothing fancy—we use Ragu Old World Style Traditional)

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 pound penne pasta

About half of a 10-ounce container of frozen peas,

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

Set the water to boil in a stock pot. Salt and add pasta. Prepare the sauce while the pasta cooks.

In medium sauce pan on low heat, melt butter. Sauté the garlic for a minute, then add crushed red pepper and vodka and bring to a boil. Simmer for one minute. Add tomato sauce and simmer for two minutes, then add heavy cream. Drain pasta well and combine with sauce and peas. Add cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.

You can experiment with adding proscuitto, too (sauté it at the beginning with the butter).