Photo

Can't find the darned huppah picture...help!

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 DRbride

DRbride
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

nevermind...i just read the rest of the thread :-) do post some pic's of how they turn out!

#22 Amy&Andy

Amy&Andy
    • VIP Member
    • 3,405 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

Click the image to open in full size.

#23 Amy&Andy

Amy&Andy
      • VIP Member
      • 3,405 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:24 PM

So....I am so pumped with how they turned out. We made 12 strands that are about 7-8 feet long.....to leave enough room to tie on the top of the huppah. It took us about 2 hours and a large Walmart bag full of faux orchids. We popped the top/buds off of them then strung the fishing line through and then put the little plastic center thing back into the flower to secure it. It sounds complicated...but we made our decision and figured out how to do it in about 5 minutes. I am so thrilled with how they look. They look nothing like faux flowers....they look like they are just floating......so pretty! I can't wait! This will save me time, money and decision making in attempting to use real flowers down in Cabo, which are ridiculously expensive!

#24 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 12,193 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

Amy, that looks so PRETTY!!! You did a great job. You're right as they look totally real. Very very inspiring. Congrats on making it all come together.

#25 IrieBride08

IrieBride08
          • 716 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

OMG Amy, they look beautiful! Great job!!

I totally want to do this with white/yellow orchids. I thought about using ribbon, but fishing line may be easier. Maybe you can PM me an "instructions for dummies" version of how to create these!

#26 jajajaja

jajajaja
            • VIP Member
            • 9,794 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Gorgeous. How are you packing it so it doesn't get tangled? That was one thing that I wasn't sure about when I had thought about doing it. I instead spent $75 on capiz shell curtains. I wouldn't mind returning them to do something like this. :)
              Happily married since 2008

#27 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 10,366 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

Amy, that looks better than I could have even imagined, they are beautiful!

#28 monicabrandon2008

monicabrandon2008
                • 794 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

Those look just as gorgeous as real flowers! Great job! I'm totally steling this idea mwahhaha (evil laugh) ...not really but it is so pretty! Thanks for giving the details on how to do it!
                  HIGH FIVE, WE'RE MARRIED!!!
                  http://i51.photobuck...vtburks/1-4.jpg

#29 WSUgal

WSUgal
                  • 96 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:29 PM

Wow! You did an awesome job! It looks amazing. I am curious, too...how are you going to pack them without them getting tangled? I can't wait to see them on your wedding day!

#30 Amy&Andy

Amy&Andy
                    • VIP Member
                    • 3,405 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

It was honestly really easy girls. My FMIL and I sat at her dining room table and just went to work for a solid two hours. So here are a few pointers.

*Cut the strands of fishing line at about 7-8feet to allow for extra length to tie around whatever huppa they use
                      *buy faux flowers that you can just pop off the bud from the greenery (Look for ones that have the plastic center that goes through the few layers of silk)
                      *Start at the bottom and work your way up (we made sure the flowers were facing upwards
                      *Take out the plastic middle, thread the fishing line through, then put the plastic middle back in with the fishing line already through it....it will make sense when you do it. This secures the flower in place, but you can still move it around
                      *We were pretty sporadic with using small, large, and different colored buds...I like the look of it being a little less planned out.

As far as traveling with them.....I had Andy take them down and wrap them very carefully around a piece of cardboard about two feet long, and one foot wide with all of the flowers nicely facing out, so as not to get squished. We will take them off and probably hang them to let them straighten back out when we get down there early in the week. Also, you can take a hair dryer to fishing line to get it straight.....that was actually Andy's idea....his great contribution

Anyways...let me know if you need more details! It was fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users