Jump to content


hope this doesnt make me look stupid

  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 melwru

  • Jr. Member
  • 207 posts

    Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

    Hi Everyone,

    We are getting married at ROR next Jan. and after reading about necessary documents needed to get married there, I have a question,
    How do you get your passports and birth certificates "notarized"? Do you have to pay a lawyer to do it or are there other ways?
    Sorry, if I sound stupid, I've just NEVER had to have anything notarized before!

    #2 J&M

    • Jr. Member
    • 173 posts

      Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:38 PM


      Make photocopies of your BC and Passports and take the originals with you to your local Post Office the Postmaster can do it for you...he'll stamp the photocopies

      #3 JUSTUSTWO


        VIP Member

      • VIP Member
      • 12,193 posts

        Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

        I've found that here on BDW there is no such thing as a stupid question!
        All you have to do is make copies of the things you need, Birth certificate, Drivers License, etc & take them to a Notary Public. Anytime you see a sign on a business that says Notary Public, thats where you go to get things notarized. The fee is very nominal. You should even ask around, sometimes people are notary's & you wouldn't even know it.

        #4 hondagirl

        • Newbie
        • 16 posts

          Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:22 AM

          Hi we have just done this as my son is getting married at ROR in March .
          WE found out that only Lawyers can Notarise ,and not all lawyers do it .
          take the photocopies and the original to the lawyer,they compare them and issue a notarised letter for each and stamp both, this costs around $50 canadian each copy .
          I hear a lot of brides are scanning and emailing the copies as its a lot cheaper than sending by courier ,hope this is helpful.

          #5 Agape Gems

          Agape Gems
          • Sr. Member
          • 1,260 posts

            Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:18 AM

            Do you have Kroger grocery stores in Canada? If so, many of them can notarize things at customer service. A lot of banks can also notarize.
            See our professional weddings photos http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t21339

            #6 Ange

            • Newbie
            • 24 posts

              Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:01 PM

              dont worry about feeling stupid, i had to ask my TA the same question. What she instructed me to do is look in the yellow pages or canada411.com for Notary Public. Like it was already stated; most lawyers do it but not all so if you plan to use your lawyer you may want to double check. We ended up getting a lawyer/cousin to do it and she did it for free. My TA also looked after the courier to get it down to the ROR so that was one thing that was actual at no cost to us!

              #7 Maura


                VIP Member

              • VIP Member
              • 5,752 posts
              • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

              Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

              also, oftentimes currency exchange places also have the ability to notarize!

              #8 KarmaB

              • Member
              • 796 posts

                Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:21 PM

                My bank actually did mine for free. (Chase) So you might try that as well.

                #9 J&M

                • Jr. Member
                • 173 posts

                  Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

                  In Canada when you get a Passport application you have to have a notary public sign it and it tells you right on the form there should be no charge to have this done.....I just got my Postmaster to do both my passport a yr. ago and my docs for Chandlyn a mth ago

                  #10 J&M

                  • Jr. Member
                  • 173 posts

                    Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:37 PM

                    oh my god i hope i didn't screw up i just assumed if a passport is okay to get done by a postmaster then my documents would be the same but now i'm worried i've screwed up and my docs aren't actually "notorized"

                    how did you girls in canada get it done?


                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users