Photo

band vs. dj

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nylalany

nylalany
  • 625 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:30 AM

I'm trying to decide on a band vs. a dj. If I pick band, the WC said her music contact is trustworthy but that the band does not provide demos, so I'd just have to trust that they are good. My mom is tempted to fly down and hear them perform somewhere, because there is nothing worse than bad musicians! However, there is something fun and energizing about live music, which would be great. If I pick DJ, then we can have a bigger variety of music, including hip-hop and more current dance music, which is a plus on the other side. I'm pretty torn. I could also pick the band, and then have an ipod for any extra songs the band can't play, but that could get odd perhaps, b/c people might not dance during the ipod portion. Decisions decisions!

#2 Yari

Yari
    • VIP Member
    • 10,928 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:11 AM

I know there are a million decisions to make. Ugh! But is sure is fun. :)

I like the idea of a live band and the iPod...might be able to give the band a break and play some nice dance music for people to get their groove on.

#3 Kristin113

Kristin113
      • 72 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

I ran into the same problem, our band didn't have a demo tape either. We decided to have the band for the first 2 hours and then a DJ for the last 3hrs. I just couldn't rely on someone elses opinion for the band, and if they weren't good it would ruin the whole night.

#4 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
        • 26,161 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:30 AM

If you are torn then I also say try to do both. Just book the band for a limited time and transition into the dj or ipod.

We did our own music because it was important to us to hear specific songs, and we tend to like B sides better than singles so we didn't want to rely on the dj to have (or try to get) this stuff.

#5 nylalany

nylalany
          • 625 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:03 AM

Yeah I just don't know if I want to take the chance and then have them suck. But I love the energy of live music. Ugh!

#6 tvt

tvt
            • VIP Member
            • 4,812 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:32 AM

I always vote DJ!!!! While a live band is cool, I think it's more fun to hear songs that you really love in their origional state. Plus with a DJ people are always making requests and I love that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users