Sign in to follow this  
angitalia23

Does your face get Red when drinking?

I definitely get the "asian glow" --- in college my other asian friends claimed that taking tagamet or pepcid seems to help ... I'm not sure why ... and, I can't say that I really remember it helping or not!

And, I tried to experiment with different types of alcohol, too. (My friends would say, "Oh, it must be the hops in beer, try wine. Oh it must be the tannins in wine, try vodka. and on, and on ...). I pretty much flush with everything! It's so bad that you can even tell I've been drinking in black and white pictures!

As for the exercising Ms. Glenda --- I'm not sure about that one! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyphil View Post
(My friends would say, "Oh, it must be the hops in beer, try wine. Oh it must be the tannins in wine, try vodka. and on, and on ...).
im pretty sure they were just trying to get you drunk wink.gif hehehe

Well, I get super flushed with some alcohol, not all the time though. I figured it was some sort of vasodilation effect and the capillaries in my cheeks were just filling up with extra blood. I get all warm. I haven't noticed a trend with any particular type of alcohol but sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I am irish, polish and german, but look mostly irish.

When I work out, I get super red in the face. But I don't sweat a lot, so I figure it is just overheating. Plus, blood vessels dilate when working out and heart is pumping more blood to keep up with o2 demands. It isn't pretty though.

Yup I get red when I drink....I hate it. One of my friends whose a doc told me to take zantac before I drink. There's something in there that stops people from getting red when drinking alcohol. John's sister is a pharmacist so I asked her about it....she of course doesn't recomend it but it does work msnwink.gif

I think im going to try taking something, my friend recommended taking Zantac too. Im Italian (the whitest one you'll know) except when im red. The wierd thing is I dont get red wh.en im embarassed or when I work out

If you don't get red while working out then it is more likely the enzyme issue. I have several friends (again all asian) who have this allergy. It comes on after 1 drink if that, so it's not about quantity. Also, it's not an all over flushed red - it's really splotchy - kinda like hives. I know people that get the all over flushed red too and it's different than the allergy.

It sounds like I know a lot of boozers.

I'm asian and this happens all the time, although if I drink slowly it usually doesn't.

I have a friend that takes a benadryl before drinking and she doesn't turn red (although I don't recommend Benadryl since it should make you drowsy...)

My face, neck and chest get all blotchy, but that's mostly a nerves thing. i do get red-er when drinking, but it isn't the same as the people that i have known with the enzyme thing. My skin is weird. You can touch it and I will have a big red mark, or if I scratch my neck, it looks like I got clawed by a damn cat. that's why I like summer, get a tan and it hides all the imperfections.

I get really blotchy too Carly when embarrassed, sad, or any type of emotion really. I'm scared for the wedding day- I don't want to look like a blotchy wreck. Maybe an extra thick veil over my head and chest will do. :) Maybe FI thinks beekeepers are hot.

My FI also has skin like yours. He barely gets a scratch and he welts up really bad. It looks like I beat the crap out of him.