Photo

Does your face get Red when drinking?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 angitalia23

angitalia23
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

My face gets really red when I drink more than two drinks (as you can see in the picture). It does not happen everytime but it does occur often. I get blotchy on my neck and face, does anyone have this problem? I have tested certain alcohols and it happens with just about everything (wine, liquor, beer).
    Anthony & Angela
    19 June 2008

#2 jean-marcus

jean-marcus
    • 1,565 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

do you have asian descent ? genetically asians lack something ( i forget exactly what it is ) that helps break down alcohol and that is where the term "asian red" comes from . i think its like an enzyme . i remember hearing about it in a class in college.

#3 lucy106

lucy106
      • 2,880 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

I dont have this problem and no clue what causes it but I appreciate that you "tested" all sorts of alcohol as part of your medical research! I love it! LOL

#4 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
        • VIP Member
        • 18,452 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

This happens to my friend everytime she drinks, not matter what she drinks. She's italian and irish. I don't know if that matters. I'm from the same decent and don't really have that problem. I get a little red faced when i'm hammered.
          ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
          Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
          Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#5 Copita

Copita
          • 979 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Not at all. And I don't even blush!

#6 Birdie07

Birdie07
            • 1,218 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

Mine does too. I don't know why. I"m pretty sure I don't have asian descent. I'm irish, german, and on my mom's side cherokee. Its only when I drink alot though. A few drinks don't matter.

#7 jajajaja

jajajaja
              • VIP Member
              • 9,794 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:19 PM

ME TOO! I get super blotchy on my chest. Not so much my face. My mom said it's because I'm allergic to alcohol but that's just her wishful thinking. She hates alcohol, but I partake in a beverage or two. I usually start getting flushed after a couple and then everyone laughs at me.

This also happens when I'm angry, sad, embarrassed or any time of emotion really. It's like a mood indicator. Totally sucks especially at work. Someone can piss me off and I try to keep a poker face but Bam! my chest turns blotchy and everyone knows I'm mad.

I had to wear a high necked shirt for my speech class in college. It was embarrassing.
                Happily married since 2008

#8 jean-marcus

jean-marcus
                • 1,565 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

well you dont have to be asian im saying to have that happen haha. i was saying asians typically have the problem genetically. i just remembered them talking about it in my class that they typically missed the certain enzyme . im sure it happens in alll sorts of races. i know my dads nose gets a little red when he drinks and he is as swedish as swedish gets

#9 sohappy

sohappy
                  • 260 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

You mean "asian glow" Jean Marcus hehe.

Not to bore anyone but if you're interested:
                    You have enzymes called aldehyde dehydrogenase which is suppose to break down the alcohol. Others too but mainly Asians lack some of this or all of it and it accumulates in the body causing flushing "redness".

I'm guessing you're turning red b/c you don't have a lot of this type of enzyme or its just not working fast enough.

I've been pretty lucky I don't get too red when I drink but I get sleepy (no fun!)

#10 jean-marcus

jean-marcus
                    • 1,565 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

WOOOOHOOOO. thank you. i was just about to google it and find out what it was. you're awesome SOHAPPY.. oh we called it "asian red" here in seattle. i kind of like "asian glow" better. kind of sounds like a wood cleaner but it sounds fun . im gonna start calling it that instead :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users