Pictures before the wedding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillhigginsphotography View Post
I see so many weddings from start to finish - and it is always sweeter when the bride and groom see each other before the ceremony (If done the right way.)

I choose a private spot and have the groom stand with his back to the direction that the bride will be walking. (I use a long lens so I am far away and the couple has privacy). The bride walks out and calls the groom's name as she gets close. He turns around - they have their moment - I am able to capture it all. Not only does it make for truly beautiful images, but they get to hang out and talk and enjoy spending time alone. Believe it or not, the walking down the aisle moment is still special to the guys.

If a couple waits to see each at the ceremony, they usually don't end up with any "alone" time because things get busy and crazy after the ceremony. You can still get good shots by planning a little time to yourselves before the reception. But honestly - the guys just don't seem to be as sweet then. I think everyone is really ready at that point to get to the reception, hang out with friends and family and have fun.

Just my two cents - probably worth one cent.
I totally think that's a great two cents. My FI will probably be so impatient during the picture taking- especially if he knows people are taking tequila shots without him. I don't know if we will have much time to see each other before the ceremony because of my location, but we schedule time a few days later to do some beachy shots.

Also, I have seen some REALLY beautiful evening shots too. The sky is just magical. Adamsgirl comes to mind. Check out her pics. They are gorgeous.

Quote:
I see so many weddings from start to finish - and it is always sweeter when the bride and groom see each other before the ceremony (If done the right way.)

I choose a private spot and have the groom stand with his back to the direction that the bride will be walking. (I use a long lens so I am far away and the couple has privacy). The bride walks out and calls the groom's name as she gets close. He turns around - they have their moment - I am able to capture it all. Not only does it make for truly beautiful images, but they get to hang out and talk and enjoy spending time alone. Believe it or not, the walking down the aisle moment is still special to the guys.

If a couple waits to see each at the ceremony, they usually don't end up with any "alone" time because things get busy and crazy after the ceremony. You can still get good shots by planning a little time to yourselves before the reception. But honestly - the guys just don't seem to be as sweet then. I think everyone is really ready at that point to get to the reception, hang out with friends and family and have fun.

Just my two cents - probably worth one cent.
This is such a great idea. I have to figure out how I'll talk FI into it because he seems set on seeing me at the ceremony. We won't have much time after the ceremony because our wedding is at 2pm and our reception starts at 3:30 at an offsite restaurant. We will have only about an hour to get to the reception and that's going to really squeeze us for photos in-between!

Our best option is meet an hour before the wedding and take pics then. I'm gonna sell it! Wish me luck!

Okay...for you girls trying to talk your guys into it, here are a few things that may help.

I copied and pasted some of these thoughts into a word document one time and never did anything with them. They are random quotes from a couple of websites...

It is food for thought anyway.

:)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How the tradition of not seeing each other was started…

In Medieval times, a bride and groom were not even allowed to meet each other until the actual wedding ceremony. This was so neither one could back out if, when they saw the person, they would not want to be married to them! This ancient custom has carried forth to the 90's where now people feel it is bad luck to see each other before the ceremony. In fact, there is no basis to the success or longevity of a marriage if the bride and groom wait to see each other until the ceremony.

Reasons to see each other (found online)…

It is a special moment when the couple first sees each other. When it is done before the ceremony, they can talk to each other and express how they like the way the other one looks! This is what each one wants to know anyway, but a ceremony itself is not the place for a bride and groom to talk to each other and tell each other what they are thinking. The moment they first see each other also makes a wonderful candid photo!

It adds to the stress to not see each other and it actually reduces stress when the couple DOES see each other first.

When the flowers, hair, make-up and clothes are all new and fresh is the best time to take pictures. This can be especially true for a hot and/or humid day.

The bride and groom can choose any location within a half hour drive of the ceremony to take pictures. There are many beautiful spots that have water, trees, flowers, grass, nice sky, impressive architecture, etc. that would not be practical to visit after a ceremony.

•The air is filled with an electric anticipation of the dayâ€s events to come.

•Afterwards, things happen; People hug, People cry. Mascara runs, lipstick smears, and flowers wilt.

•People's thoughts turn toward other issues. 'how fast can I get out of these shoes', 'this is a hosted bar, right?'

•This moment is likely to be the last opportunity until the evening is over for a private romantic embrace.

•This is the very best opportunity, for us as your photographers, to capture the thrill of you seeing each other for the first time.

•Everyone cooperates because everyone is relaxed.

•What about the Grand Entrance?!

•Won't this idea 'kill the thrill?' Hardly, but don't ask us, ask any bride or groom.

•When the music begins, the guests rise, and the bride appears and walks down the aisle to meet her groom, the beautiful vision many brides dream of, remains intact.

•In contrast, the few who have waited with rising anxiety don't clearly remember the experience.

•Stage fright is rampant, formality is the rule.

•The groom is standing at the altar - how can he be himself?

•He can't kiss you, can't tell you how beautiful you are or how lovely you look in that dress.

•Hugs aren't generally allowed, but with a private moment before the ceremony he can do all that and more.

•Perhaps the first time that the bride and groom see each other can be richer when it's for their eyes only rather than on a stage.

I never thought about pictures before our ceremony. I thought I'd want him to see me for the first time walking down the aisle. However, I really love the idea of seeing him first, taking pictures, and then having our ceremony. I think it's important for us to have time alone, it's really a great idea, thanks for bringing it up!!

I would suggest doing the pics a few hours before the ceremony. The photographer should only need a good hour -hour 1/2 or so for you and your hubby-to-be on the beach! Then any extra time between B&G portraits and the ceremony, you can take the wedding party formals! I would get as much as possible done BEFORE the wedding, expecially with the bridal party and immediate family-ALL the most important pics. If you still have time after the ceremony (cocktail hour) then you can get a few great sunset pics and then the rest can be family and if you have time, then enjoy your own cocktail hour! :) If you'd rather not start pics hours before the ceremony, do a "day after" session and dress back up, but this takes a day of your vacation and usually costs a little extra $$$ too. Hope this helps and best wishes!!!

Hello,

Well, yes, I have to agree on my Jamaican friend, you are much better off having your day-after pics than having them early on your wedding day. You won't be relaxed on your wedding day, there are too many things to worry about on that day. Relax and enjoy your day after pics and you could even turn them into mouth-watering pics if you trash your dress, if you really want awesome and extra-ordinary pics your friends will crave :)

marTin as

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheribeth View Post
I wanted to see what people thought about pictures before the wedding?

I really want nice beach pictures, we are getting married under a pretty gazebo at 6pm.. So I am afraid getting married that late we wont get good pictures at the beach.

I was thinking of getting up early in the AM when a lot of people are not on the beach , getting out there for 8am showered in my dress, and my fiance and MOH and bestman, getting pics done at the beach.. Going back to the room taking everything off, and then getting dressed at night again for the wedding.. UGH seems like a lot of work..

Quote:
Okay...for you girls trying to talk your guys into it, here are a few things that may help.

I copied and pasted some of these thoughts into a word document one time and never did anything with them. They are random quotes from a couple of websites...

In Medieval times, a bride and groom were not even allowed to meet each other until the actual wedding ceremony. This was so neither one could back out if, when they saw the person, they would not want to be married to them! This ancient custom has carried forth to the 90's where now people feel it is bad luck to see each other before the ceremony. In fact, there is no basis to the success or longevity of a marriage if the bride and groom wait to see each other until the ceremony.

It is a special moment when the couple first sees each other. When it is done before the ceremony, they can talk to each other and express how they like the way the other one looks! This is what each one wants to know anyway, but a ceremony itself is not the place for a bride and groom to talk to each other and tell each other what they are thinking. The moment they first see each other also makes a wonderful candid photo!

It adds to the stress to not see each other and it actually reduces stress when the couple DOES see each other first.
When the flowers, hair, make-up and clothes are all new and fresh is the best time to take pictures. This can be especially true for a hot and/or humid day.
The bride and groom can choose any location within a half hour drive of the ceremony to take pictures. There are many beautiful spots that have water, trees, flowers, grass, nice sky, impressive architecture, etc. that would not be practical to visit after a ceremony.

•The air is filled with an electric anticipation of the day’s events to come.
•Afterwards, things happen; People hug, People cry. Mascara runs, lipstick smears, and flowers wilt.
•People's thoughts turn toward other issues. 'how fast can I get out of these shoes', 'this is a hosted bar, right?'
•This moment is likely to be the last opportunity until the evening is over for a private romantic embrace.
•This is the very best opportunity, for us as your photographers, to capture the thrill of you seeing each other for the first time.
•Won't this idea 'kill the thrill?' Hardly, but don't ask us, ask any bride or groom.
•When the music begins, the guests rise, and the bride appears and walks down the aisle to meet her groom, the beautiful vision many brides dream of, remains intact.
•In contrast, the few who have waited with rising anxiety don't clearly remember the experience.
•He can't kiss you, can't tell you how beautiful you are or how lovely you look in that dress.
•Hugs aren't generally allowed, but with a private moment before the ceremony he can do all that and more.
•Perhaps the first time that the bride and groom see each other can be richer when it's for their eyes only rather than on a stage.
Very interesting Jill, thanks for putting that together and sharing :) I do agree with the idea that the first time you see each other all dolled up for marriage is special - whether it is at the alter or 2 hours before you get to the alter.

We did them after because logistically it worked best at our site (had to arrive by boats), but we kissed when we saw each other at the alter, told each other we looked hot and smelled good, and snuck away after to be alone after the ceremony...lol So we did it our way!

I think a good rule is to dismiss all rules - make it your own and do what feels right. Afterall, look where many of our weddings are/were? There was a time when that was ludicrous!

Quote:

•The air is filled with an electric anticipation of the dayâ€s events to come.
wow that is all good points listed here. Now the question is do we have time to sneak away for photos before the ceremony.. or should we do them the next morning? And when do we schedule in the TTD session? That would definitely have to be after the ceremony, or the next morning.

If you are talking about group photos with the 2 of you - before always works out better than after - but many people dont want to see each other before hand! -- If you are talking about just shots of the 2 of you - Id say a day-after session (either trash the dress - or combo of couples shots and TTD) - would work best!

Ya, well, they do have a point, it will be your wedding, but you also have to consider that if you really want superb photos, you will definitely need natural light and avoid the night for nice portraits. Medieval weddings? Cute! smile36.gif/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Photography LLC View Post
If you are talking about group photos with the 2 of you - before always works out better than after - but many people dont want to see each other before hand! -- If you are talking about just shots of the 2 of you - Id say a day-after session (either trash the dress - or combo of couples shots and TTD) - would work best!