Jump to content

Photo

About to blow a gasket. Priest gave away our ceremony time.


  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 kiki

kiki
  • Banned
  • 170 posts

    Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:25 AM

    oh! i hope everything works out with my wedding..we have him booked for october. I'm kinda worried now. I'm getting married at 3pm and we have a rehearsal with him the day before at 5pm. I never spoke to a secretary.

    #42 Maura

    Maura

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

    Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:51 AM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adamsgrrl
    Ahhh! Thank goodness! One crises adverted!

    I swear I don't know what it is with these priests in Mexico! Come on get it together!! How horrible am I? But I feel your pain.. its like you don't get special "I can do whatever I want because I'm a priest" treatment.

    When I was down there for our wedding I got a slight paranoid feeling that my priest just didn't care because we we're just another tourists trying to get married in Mexico.. like we didn't really matter.

    So freaking weird! Especially since my priest (and yours from what you've said) were (are) so excited and happy to help us in every way.

    I really do wish for you that once your get down there he will be more receptive and everything will work out.
    i totally feel the same way monika, thats part of the reason we decided to fly fr. jack out to cabo to marry us because we didn't want to have some random priest marry us and have our wedding be just another tourist wedding to them. thankfully fr. jack has been really helpful and willing to contact the bishop of la paz. all we care about is being able to use the inside of the sanctuary for crying out loud, i dont know why it had to be so much drama!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coreyphil
    I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at Fr. Jack's email! Are you kidding me?

    Hooray for FMIL! She's definitely one to have on your side! Maybe we need to send you reminders every other day from now until August to call or email the secretary just to "confirm"?

    Seriously - I'm glad things are working out!
    no no no, the idiotic email was from padre juvencio who runs the church in san jose del cabo. i am going to have my FMIL keep tabs on the church and call every few weeks to check that we are still confirmed haha, because i just dont trust juvencio. she was pretty ticked about how dumb he was being, but she handled it with grace and a smile and got her way. i swear, NOBODY tells this woman no! everyone always does what she says! thank god shes on my team haha

    #43 amyh

    amyh

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 3,754 posts

      Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:57 AM

      okay, Maura, don't kill me for saying this but, I think its a blessing in diguise!

      There are so many of us who wanted a catholic ceremony on the beach but no priest would officiate it. Now you an have it!!! How amazing is that!!!

      But I agree, it feels like you need to jump through hoops to get married by the Church. I've been there and am still going through it! Both the church in PV and those here (i.e. trying to get a copy of my 1st communion certificate and the Church having NO RECORD of it!)

      #44 starchild

      starchild

        Moderator

      • Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

        Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Sarah
        That totally reminds me of a discussion with my now SIL before our wedding. She is Catholic, and was absolutely freaking out because we were getting married in Mexico, on the beach, not in the church and that our wedding would not be "blessed". I just laughed and told her that last time I checked, God lives in Mexico too... rofl
        LMAO!! Yes, God lives in Mexico too!! What do the rule-makers think...God is looking down going "damn these beautiful beaches I made....such unholy and cursed places!" LOL

        #45 Maura

        Maura

          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 5,752 posts
        • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

        Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:06 AM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by amyh
        okay, Maura, don't kill me for saying this but, I think its a blessing in diguise!

        There are so many of us who wanted a catholic ceremony on the beach but no priest would officiate it. Now you an have it!!! How amazing is that!!!

        But I agree, it feels like you need to jump through hoops to get married by the Church. I've been there and am still going through it! Both the church in PV and those here (i.e. trying to get a copy of my 1st communion certificate and the Church having NO RECORD of it!)
        haha no amy i totally agree with you that its a blessing in disguise! transporting all our guests between the westin and the church wouldve been SUCH a pain in the @$$. now we can do the real catholic part privately with our parents. i am such an anxious person, so it will definitely put me at ease to have a "rehearsal" ceremony before the one with all the guests. as im sure you know, in mexico they dont really do wedding rehearsals, so itll be nice to have that.

        re: the certificates, i feel your pain girl. are you positive you need your first communion cert? we only each needed our baptismal certs, and then i had to provide my confirmation cert. my certs were fairly easy to track down and the churches sent them to me fairly quickly, but jose's came from a church in mexico city that was a real pain to get. we are still waiting for his mom to send us the copy with the embossed seal via fedex so we can give it to the church here to fill out the rest of our paperwork. have you done your pre-cana yet? ours is on march 1st and we are really not looking forward to it because we had to do it at some random church in a neighborhood far from us, because when we went to sign up, no joke - every weekend between january and june was full except that one at that specific church.

        #46 amyh

        amyh

          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 3,754 posts

          Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:30 AM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by mauraw

          re: the certificates, i feel your pain girl. are you positive you need your first communion cert? we only each needed our baptismal certs, and then i had to provide my confirmation cert. my certs were fairly easy to track down and the churches sent them to me fairly quickly, but jose's came from a church in mexico city that was a real pain to get. we are still waiting for his mom to send us the copy with the embossed seal via fedex so we can give it to the church here to fill out the rest of our paperwork. have you done your pre-cana yet? ours is on march 1st and we are really not looking forward to it because we had to do it at some random church in a neighborhood far from us, because when we went to sign up, no joke - every weekend between january and june was full except that one at that specific church.
          They need everything. It all needs to be apostle by the archdiocese and sent to the church in Mexico. I was able to get a copy of my FC cert, but now I'm having issues getting my Confirmation Certificate from Guadalajara! What a pain! Our preist here said he'd let it slide, but he's not sure the church in Mexico would.

          By Pre-Cana, do you mean the marriage class they send you to? Yes we did that in October. It was kind of fun! We just need all our paperwork (including our civil marriage) and 3 more meetings with our Priest, them we are free to get married, lol.

          #47 starchild

          starchild

            Moderator

          • Moderators
          • 26,161 posts

            Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:15 AM

            Our priest here needed that for the U.S. ceremony. I was able to get the baptism/communion/confirmation documents for myself without a problem because they were all done at the same church.

            DH is not Catholic, which is no problem, but they still wanted his baptism records. His church doesn't keep records, and the priest said that is common since the Catholic church is one of the few that documents everything...so we had to have a letter written on his behalf from someone present at his baptism. It was a lot of paperwork but honestly not as difficult as we thought.

            Amy, did you take the compatibility survey yet? That was actually really fun!

            #48 amyh

            amyh

              VIP Member

            • VIP Member
            • 3,754 posts

              Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:24 AM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by starchild
              Amy, did you take the compatibility survey yet? That was actually really fun!
              The Myers Brigg's test? He just gave us the booklets/test. So we'll go over that next time. I remember taking it my first year of college. I just can't remember what the results were. I'll let you know how it goes.

              #49 starchild

              starchild

                Moderator

              • Moderators
              • 26,161 posts

                Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:32 AM

                Ours was a scantron test geared towards couples of mixed faiths, but a lot of it was general relationship stuff.

                After the results came back about how our answers compared Will and I discussed them in front of the priest. We thought it would be weird but omg what we learned from it! And the priest was cool and said he wouldn't intervene unless we asked him to.

                Turns out we are highly compatible (yay!), but there are things we differ on that we never considered after being together for years....so I think these kinds of tests are great!

                #50 amyh

                amyh

                  VIP Member

                • VIP Member
                • 3,754 posts

                  Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:44 AM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by starchild
                  Ours was a scantron test geared towards couples of mixed faiths, but a lot of it was general relationship stuff.

                  After the results came back about how our answers compared Will and I discussed them in front of the priest. We thought it would be weird but omg what we learned from it! And the priest was cool and said he wouldn't intervene unless we asked him to.

                  Turns out we are highly compatible (yay!), but there are things we differ on that we never considered after being together for years....so I think these kinds of tests are great!
                  He did mention this at our first meeting, but didn't at our second. Hmm, I'll have to ask him.




                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users