HELP! in choosing a DW location!

I see that you are considering St Thomas. We are too. And because we want to do the "real" (meaning legal) wedding we are also considering Puerto Rico as it is a US Territory as well. With the USVI and PR the legalities are easier than other places that are not part of the US.

Especially for us - some birth certificate requirements that we do not meet. (due to FI's birth certifiacte)

Good luck deciding!

I can understand why you wouldn't want to do a legal ceremony before you go, I think my parents would be upset too (b/c they are paying for us to get married! not have a renewal of vows). But, that's just my families point of view! Maybe check out the Riu Resort in the Bahamas, we almost went there-it's an AI and kid friendly. They are cheaper than Sandals. The only thing w/ this resort (and I don't know if you care or not), but it's more of a high rise building, not a spread out resort. But, worth checking into! Atlantis is right next to it, a huge resort that has all kinds of cool stuff.

Good luck!!

I actually got married when we were in Vegas earlier this month- nearly 3 months before my wedding. It was quick and painless. Honestly, it doesn't change your viewpoint on your "real" wedding. I'm still just as excited to commit to my FI in front of my friends and family. I told my mom and sister that we were hitched in Vegas. They understood that it actually saved us money.

I haven't told any other guests because they don't really need to know. What they witness at the wedding will still be the same commitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stei0419 View Post
I can understand why you wouldn't want to do a legal ceremony before you go, I think my parents would be upset too (b/c they are paying for us to get married! not have a renewal of vows). But, that's just my families point of view! Maybe check out the Riu Resort in the Bahamas, we almost went there-it's an AI and kid friendly. They are cheaper than Sandals. The only thing w/ this resort (and I don't know if you care or not), but it's more of a high rise building, not a spread out resort. But, worth checking into! Atlantis is right next to it, a huge resort that has all kinds of cool stuff.

Good luck!!
Yeah, I was looking at the Riu in Bahama's and that is what I didn't like about it also, I wanted more of a resort type rather than a high rise. I don't know if it is nicer to go to the Grand Bahama Island?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Rachel View Post
I actually got married when we were in Vegas earlier this month- nearly 3 months before my wedding. It was quick and painless. Honestly, it doesn't change your viewpoint on your "real" wedding. I'm still just as excited to commit to my FI in front of my friends and family. I told my mom and sister that we were hitched in Vegas. They understood that it actually saved us money.

I haven't told any other guests because they don't really need to know. What they witness at the wedding will still be the same commitment.
I completely agree with you getting married, no matter where you are and who you are with has the same meaning regardless. I am open to the thought of getting legally married prior, but other family members are not, especially since they figured out what we were contemplating on their own!

Plus, I have been married before, my FI has not, and I really think that I want to make this ceremony as "traditional" as possible. It is so much different this time around and I want him to feel like I am getting married and want it to be with everyone when it happens, rather than him thinking that I want to do it away from everyone because I have something to hide. But that is another entire story in itself!

I think that if I plan it right, he will never feel as if he is my second husband, and that the only reason I want to have a DW is because I have already done the big country club wedding. Instead my FI will see our nuptuals as being something that we did with everyone there because he is THe Man, and I don't need a big wedding to have that precious moment.
Wow I must be zonked.... have to go dream now!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm a newbie and also trying to figure out where is the best place for a DW. I know I'll probably have a small wedding maybe with 20 guests or less. Most of my guests are in their 30s to late 40s and want a fun place. Any ideas who has the best AI packages? (cancun, PR, DR, Jamaica?) I know they like to party as well. Any advice is helpful. Thank you all

I got married at the Iberostar Del Mar and they were very willing to work with me. I had a private reception and the whole nine yards. My ceremony was very private as I did it in the gazeebo. I think the Lindo gazeebo is much more in the open (but don't quote me on that).

I thought the resort was nothing short of spectacular! And would highly recommend it.

I am getting married in July at the Paradisus in Punta Cana, DR, and from what I've seen so far, I am glad I chose the DR. I had looked into the USVI, Bahamas, and Puerto Rico and found the DR to have the best options for me. There are a ton of great AIs to choose from in various price ranges, and lots of affordable choices. The rates at the Paradisus are affordable enough so that all my guests that want to come are able, and the wedding/reception packages are reasonable as well with TONS of choices. We are doing a buffet reception on the beach and I think our whole package will run about $3000.

If you haven't already looked into the DR, I'd say definitely check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSunshine View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie and also trying to figure out where is the best place for a DW. I know I'll probably have a small wedding maybe with 20 guests or less. Most of my guests are in their 30s to late 40s and want a fun place. Any ideas who has the best AI packages? (cancun, PR, DR, Jamaica?) I know they like to party as well. Any advice is helpful. Thank you all

I can understand your frustration! This is the most difficult part of the process and the most stressful. We actually chose Dreams Resort in Cabo because they met all of our "qualifications". If you get a chance, check out the sub-forum on Dreams. It was really helpful to me to get a glimpse of the girls that have been married there.